• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Marshall Faulk compares RG3 to Mark Sanchez

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
Marshall Faulk compares RG3 to Mark Sanchez ; and won't get enough reps

says RG3 won't be as good as Andrew Luck, because he "won't get the reps while he's young" and "Luck will get the chance to throw more and make mistakes".....and goes on to compare him to Sanchez, in his potential.....

Only response I can think of, to all of this, is.......WTF ???
Does Faulk actually believe RG3 is going to sit behind, and study behind Grossman for a year, with a clipboard ??

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...d9/Rookie-starting-QBs?module=HP11_hot_topics

These guys need to create the dissension, or they get no ratings. They've got to have differing opinions so they can argue, because they think this is what we want to see. It might actually be what most people want to see, who knows. But they manufacture these things just to get differing viewpoints (IMO).

These guys need to create the dissension, or they get no ratings. They've got to have differing opinions so they can argue, because they think this is what we want to see. It might actually be what most people want to see, who knows. But they manufacture these things just to get differing viewpoints (IMO).

Except most fans are too smart to fall for this, so what's the point in trying to fool them with such a weak fasade ?

Proof positive that being a great player doesn't make you a great analyst.

Shanahan has already announced RG3 will start, why does he think he won't get reps?

Edit: In listening, it appears he is talking about reps throwing the ball during live play. He's mistaken if he thinks Shanahan will be as conservative in his offense as Rex Ryan. Rex is a defensive coach who likes to play good defense and not let the offense lose the game. Shanahan wants the offense to win the game.

Last edited:
Where is it? What the heck...it's gotta be around here somewhere. Ah, yeah! There it is. :yawnee:

Thank you for that invaluable expert analysis Marshall.

(Feel free to copy this and keep it somewhere to post when people ask you for an example of sarcasm.)

First time I have ever heard that comparison. Didn't know that Mark possessed that good of a work ethic or was respected by his teammates that well. Who would have thunk it.

Edit: In listening, it appears he is talking about reps throwing the ball during live play. He's mistaken if he thinks Shanahan will be as conservative in his offense as Rex Ryan. Rex is a defensive coach who likes to play good defense and not let the offense lose the game. Shanahan wants the offense to win the game.

Similar take for me as well, Luck will need to do it all whereas Griff is afforded more supporting cast to work with (hopefully) so the QB stat line for Luck may be more gaudy.

Sanchez came into a similar situation, a team futher along. Instant success based on team play leading to playoffs with Sanchez making a few strides and wowing the fans. Sanchez appears to have leveled off but as China implies, Rex is not pushing the guy to do more.

Griff may have similar curve of success due to team support, but IMO Shanny will hone his skills and use them for max effect. Early "protection" for the rookie's development with run game and decent defense followed by a "go get 'em kid" as trust and familiarity develop.

Except most fans are too smart to fall for this, so what's the point in trying to fool them with such a weak fasade ?

To create arguments among the "experts." Either way this is the strangest comparison I've ever seen...

Differences include (among other things):

1) RG3 has more potential and better QB skills than Sanchez had coming into his rookie year. I think most folks felt the Jets reached for Sanchez and that his one good year at USC on a team stacked with talent made him a bit of a wild-card. RG3 basically helped make Baylor - and he has more than one good season of tape.

2) Rex is a defensive coach. He can't develop QBs the way I think Shannahan can. That makes me more confident in our vetting of RG3 as a franchise QB (since the offensive-minded head coach signed off on it) and the chances he can develop while on our team.

I think the other thing that's really exciting about RG3 is that Shanahan seems to have a specific plan in place to use his unique skillset. I don't think I'm the only one who wondered while watching M. Vick play over the years, "WOW! The things he could do if he only understood the passing game". RG3 is that guy. And like Shanny seems to think, I believe the NFL may never be the same after this.

If RG3 busts we probably weren't going anywhere anyway with the other players that were available at our spot. However if he doesn't, we could be on the cusp of something really, really special folks. Ultimately that's why you spend the picks we did, because it could lead to ten+ years of truly transcendant play that will quickly erase the suffering of the past decade.

So to hell with Faulk's ratings-based hating that I don't think he even really believes.

Correction. Worst football analyst ever. I think Magic Johnson would have to take top all-time worst honors.
I don't watch the NBA, so I can't comment.

Can I get verification of this from someone? Did Magic Johnson really get his tongue and brain surgically removed?

Nah I've heard Magic call a game and he sounds like a Mensa ward winner compared to Emmitt's stuff. Magic can complete a sentence, with ES that's an accomplishment at times.

Yeah, I don't usually disagree with Yusuf, but Magic wasn't great, but certianly better than Emmitt. Magic's problem in the 90's was that he got too excited about great plays and got too enthusiastic, which is fine when the camera is on him and you can see his smile. But it doesn't translate well during the game action.

Emmitt on the other hand is just brutal. Cringe-worthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.