• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Buzzfeed: 48 Things That Will Make You Feel Old

About the floppy disc, they posted this picture:

enhanced-buzz-20214-1337010288-2.jpg

While called a floppy, it wasn't it was rigid. These were floppy:

floppy8.gif

Of course that's going back 30 years instead of 20, but I'm old enough to remember.

They posted that a new episode of Friends hasn't aired in 8 years. To which I say "Thank God!"

The one about Pepsi Twist not being sold for the past 11 years is BS. There was a point for an entire season when Tony Romo was on the can. Considering 2006 was the first year he was actually a starter, and it wouldn't have been until 2007 at the earliest that they would have put him on a can, it's only been 5 years MAX.

My name is Nathan, and my OCD is paying attention to the little things :)

While called a floppy, it wasn't it was rigid.

China, I'm not doubting that people called them something different in your neck of the woods, but I've heard the 3.5" disks referred to as "3.5 inch floppies" all my life. I think it means the actual storage element, which was floppy. I distinctly remember thinking how silly it was to call them a floppy disk, for the exact same reason as you posted. It wasn't floppy! (Thatswhatshesaid)

They posted that a new episode of Friends hasn't aired in 8 years. To which I say "Thank God!"

You take that back! Friends is awesome!

The one about Pepsi Twist not being sold for the past 11 years is BS. There was a point for an entire season when Tony Romo was on the can. Considering 2006 was the first year he was actually a starter, and it wouldn't have been until 2007 at the earliest that they would have put him on a can, it's only been 5 years MAX.

My name is Nathan, and my OCD is paying attention to the little things :)

I found this on Wiki:

Pepsi Twist made a brief return in the Summer of 2008 with the NFL Kickoff Limited Edition Flavor, which boasted that it was Pepsi "with a kick of Lemon."

So yeah, it was definitely sold in the last 11 years, however they're technically right. That CAN hasn't been sold in that long! :)

China, I'm not doubting that people called them something different in your neck of the woods, but I've heard the 3.5" disks referred to as "3.5 inch floppies" all my life. I think it means the actual storage element, which was floppy. I distinctly remember thinking how silly it was to call them a floppy disk, for the exact same reason as you posted. It wasn't floppy! (Thatswhatshesaid)

You take that back! Friends is awesome!

I didn't say they weren't called floppies. They were; incorrectly so. Just that they got that name from their predecessors which were floppy.

I didn't say they weren't called floppies. They were; incorrectly so. Just that they got that name from their predecessors which were floppy.

Sorry, read your post too fast. :)

I always found it annoying that the 3.5" disks were called floppies. Floppy disks were what we popped in to the computer to play Oregon Trail in elementary school. 3.5" were the ones we used to save crap on in middle school :)

I prefer the term my Brit compatriots used for this item. They called it a "stiffy". :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.