A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Default Time For Some More Debt Ceiling Drama

Anyone else hoping that this go around the GOP will finally have the balls to put their foot down and say enough is enough, instead of shouldering the blame for the Democrats holding the country hostage?

I find it hilarious and disturbing that Geithner is begging the GOP for no drama this time, when the Democrats were the source of the drama every time. Pass a damn budget and quit spending so damn much, and there wouldn't be any drama you filthy tax cheat.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

I don't know that I want the republicans to 'put their foot down' in this case. I don't think suddenly halting the government is ever a good idea.

I do think this is getting ridiculous, and I wish the people who volunteered for the jobs and were then elected, would actually do their ****ing jobs. I wish we could force a recall on everyone currently in office. Maybe they'd get their jobs done if they knew an election was depending on it.

We don't have adults in washington anymore. It's a circus. Our government is run by clowns.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

You know, I really wish we could just discuss the issues in this forum without saying 'Democrats are filthy tax cheats!' or 'the GOP are racist scumbags!' Nanny nanny boo boo stick your head in doo doo! Its really sad, actually.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    I don't know that I want the republicans to 'put their foot down' in this case. I don't think suddenly halting the government is ever a good idea.
    If halting the government is the only way to give the Democrats a wakeup call and pass a budget after almost 4 years, and cut their absurd spending habits then I'm all for it. If their hand isn't forced, they will keep doing what they're doing. Besides, it wouldn't be the Republicans halting the government, it would be the inaction of Democrats halting the government.

Seriously, why should we give this overspending administration the power to spend even more? The message we're sending is spend all you want, and we'll keep raising the debt ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    You know, I really wish we could just discuss the issues in this forum without saying 'Democrats are filthy tax cheats!' or 'the GOP are racist scumbags!' Nanny nanny boo boo stick your head in doo doo! Its really sad, actually.
    I never said Democrats are filthy tax cheats. You completely fabricated that Lanky. I said Timothy Geithner, the filthy tax cheat running the Treasury of the United States, is a filthy tax cheat. You know, because he is. It's been proven. I don't see how my description of him is inaccurate at all.

It would be like getting upset because I said Eric Holder is a lowlife piece of scum, Harry Reid is a grumpy jerkoff hell bent on being a stick in the spokes, or Charlie Rangel is an unethical dirtbag.

All factual statements
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    If halting the government is the only way to give the Democrats a wakeup call and pass a budget after almost 4 years, and cut their absurd spending habits then I'm all for it. If their hand isn't forced, they will keep doing what they're doing. Besides, it wouldn't be the Republicans halting the government, it would be the inaction of Democrats halting the government.

Seriously, why should we give this overspending administration the power to spend even more? The message we're sending is spend all you want, and we'll keep raising the debt ceiling.
    I know, and I agree.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    I know, and I agree.

dude...what happened to compromise?!!! I'm with you emotionally.

stopping the wheels of government, however, can have unpredictable consequences. conflicted on this one.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    I never said Democrats are filthy tax cheats. You completely fabricated that Lanky. I said Timothy Geithner, the filthy tax cheat running the Treasury of the United States, is a filthy tax cheat. You know, because he is. It's been proven. I don't see how my description of him is inaccurate at all.

It would be like getting upset because I said Eric Holder is a lowlife piece of scum, Harry Reid is a grumpy jerkoff hell bent on being a stick in the spokes, or Charlie Rangel is an unethical dirtbag.

All factual statements
    You didn't say 'nanny nanny boo boo stick your head in doo doo' either; I was referring to the general tone of the forum, not something you specifically said.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you need to be more tone deaf then. though I understand the proclivity to employ "nanny" repeatedly.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    you need to be more tone deaf then. though I understand the proclivity to employ "nanny" repeatedly.
    Actually, its written right at the top of this forum:

"2. Fostering and encouraging a sense of community and tone of mutual respect."

There are pretty much only 3 rules to this place - you should probably do a better job of learning them.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no.....the problem is how you define mutual respect.

and, of course, it has to be earned.

but I digress.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Baylor

Civil discourse is the only way we can solve our problems. Now agree with me or shut the #### up!
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by RG3 Fan View Post
    Civil discourse is the only way we can solve our problems. Now agree with me or shut the #### up!
    Fitting in nicely I see
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

I can fix the budget issue. We need to change things in Washington so that in the event of a government shutdown Congress has to keep working but doesn't get paid for the time they work during the shutdown. Not during the shutdown and not after the shutdown. The time is gifted to the American people as recompense for not getting their job done earlier.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

hailus redskinus
    COYS

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
    I can fix the budget issue. We need to change things in Washington so that in the event of a government shutdown Congress has to keep working but doesn't get paid for the time they work during the shutdown. Not during the shutdown and not after the shutdown. The time is gifted to the American people as recompense for not getting their job done earlier.
    What is this "keep working" you speak of?
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

"Keep working" = no leaving Washington and no days off until the crisis is resolved. Congress is elected to serve so let them do it.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

hailus redskinus
    COYS

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

I think Goaldie meant that its debatable whether or not they ever "started" working in the first place.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TERM LIMITS.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    TERM LIMITS.
    Definitely can't be said enough. This and tort reform are something we should be pushing harder for than anything else.

I wonder who it is that keeps preventing both of those from being realizations
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

The problem with term limits is that they're impossible to enact. It would require an amendment to the constitution, voted on by the very same Senators & Congressman we're trying to fire!
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    The problem with term limits is that they're impossible to enact. It would require an amendment to the constitution, voted on by the very same Senators & Congressman we're trying to fire!
    The GOP has pushed for it for years. That makes it pretty clear why it isn't possible. I'm too lazy to look up what percentage of votes would be needed to make an amendment, but you can bet if the GOP ever achieves that number on their own, term limits would be in order.
    0 0 0 0