• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What does Sherman Smith do?

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
O.K., I know, dumb question, obviously he's the Skins offensive coordinator.

But, in the light of the firestorm surrounding the Skins offensive production-or lack thereof-I've seen very little mention of Smith and how he may or may not relate to the problem in terms of being a contributing factor, or being a possible avenue of fault-correction. In fact what I have read are questions similar to mine.

This kind of occurred to me when I wondered if there were anyone on the Skins coaching staff who might have noticed some the problems being discussed here and thought of possibly mentioning something in passing to Zorn along the lines of "Yo, chief, this running in the red zone thing-well, it ain't workin', man.", or "Ya thought of maybe letting Jason, well, you know, pass more often to maybe Kelly-or, hey how-about Marko.y'know?".

Then, in a flash, it hit me-why the OC, of course-he'd be the most likely to notice and be most able to perhaps, uh...influence the implementation of some changes in approach. Yeah, Sherm Smith.

But Sherm seems to have somehow disappeared-gone under the radar. He's doing something, I suppose OC-ish, but I'm curious as to what. Or is there something I don't know about the coaching hierarchy-or the current organizational structure that has taken Mr. Smith out of the equation-either positively, negatively or both? Or am I missing something?

I have wondered about this as well. He's clearly not calling the plays. Perhaps he's doing more with game planning....or something. In retrospect, Zorn would have been much better off bringing in Bill Callahan, Pat Shurmur or another experienced WCO offensive coordinator in the offseason. Smith is a good guy and Zorn's bud from way back but I don't think he has as much in-depth experience with the WCO. With Smith as OC, I think some of Zorn's problems have come from spreading himself too thinly, as well as not having a really experienced WCO guy in-house to lean on.

From my understanding, Zorn, Smith and Stump Mitchell work together to formulate the Offensive game plan. Smith is upstairs during the game offering input and his opinion on plays based on what he sees. He relays the info to Zorn but it's essentially Zorn's decision on which play is called.

It's anybody's guess as to how often Smith and Zorn agree or disagree or how much input Smith actually has.

Whether they're on the same page or not, Smith is gonna look just as bad as Zorn when the Offense struggles. Guilty by association.

Outside of Joe Bugel, this offensive staff is as undistinguished as any I can remember.

Yes, Norv failed as a HC here but he was a quality OC and playcaller.

Yes, Gibbs failed in Gibbs II to recapture the glory and his decision to bring in Saunders was a mistake in retrospect.

But Saunders had an NFL reputation and Super Bowl experience.

This staff, like Zorn himself, seems to be ahead of itself.

Hixon is a college WR coach and still appears overmatched in developing players at the NFL level.

Sherman Smith should be the running backs coach, Zorn officially named the OC as he calls the plays in any event and Stump Mitchell should be a 'special assistant'.

These guys were all jumped one place in the pecking order upon hire by Zorn and the inexperience is showing.

I keep hearing that he is offensive coordinator. That can't be, because we don't have any offense. Or maybe he's too busy with his other jobs such as chef and real estate agent to spend much time coordinating the offense of the Redskins.

Outside of Joe Bugel, this offensive staff is as undistinguished as any I can remember.

Yes, Norv failed as a HC here but he was a quality OC and playcaller.

Yes, Gibbs failed in Gibbs II to recapture the glory and his decision to bring in Saunders was a mistake in retrospect.

But Saunders had an NFL reputation and Super Bowl experience.

This staff, like Zorn himself, seems to be ahead of itself.

Hixon is a college WR coach and still appears overmatched in developing players at the NFL level.

Sherman Smith should be the running backs coach, Zorn officially named the OC as he calls the plays in any event and Stump Mitchell should be a 'special assistant'.

These guys were all jumped one place in the pecking order upon hire by Zorn and the inexperience is showing.

Sure can't argue with ANY of these points. Kinda hard to make decent banana bread with nothing but green bananas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.