• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Props to Campbell

Lanky Livingston

Last week, after the Giants game, I gave Campbell a lot of **** for his performance. After this week, its clear that the blame doesn't fall *completely* on his shoulders.

First, the negatives - he fumbled again. Gah. Also, on the incredible catch by ARE, the ball was overthrown. If that ball hits ARE in stride, he takes the ball into the endzone or inside the 1 yard line for sure.

Aside from that, Campbell played a great game. He made the smart plays with his feet, had two TD passes dropped, and all-in-all had a pretty solid game. Its not Campbell's fault that Zorn does not trust him inside the red zone. Well, I guess technically it IS his fault for not assuaging his fears, but the point still stands. Zorn clearly does not want to lay it all on the line, or else we'd see Mitchell and Kelly as the primary WRs inside the 20.

Also mad props to Campbell for finishing the game on a bum wheel - he sprained his ankle midway through the game, and you couldn't even tell.

Zorn is relying on his primary playmakers - Portis, Moss, Sellers, Cooley - to save his job, instead of developing young WRs and seeing what they are capable of. I don't think Mitchell or Davis saw the red zone Sunday...Mitchell had one offensive play that I saw, not sure about Davis.

Also, I'm not sure what Thomas has done to continue to merit all the reps he's getting - does he have pictures of Zorn cheating on his wife? I'm not sure...but its getting ridiculous. The kid is not performing, and Zorn refuses to give up on him. He doesn't even have to give up on him - Christ, just give Mitchell some chances!

Anyway, props to Campbell for doing the best he can with what he's given.

Anyway, props to Campbell for doing the best he can with what he's given.
Amen to that. He played very well, all things considered.

In terms of Thomas, my only guess is that it's a match up thing. We lined up in shotgun 4-wide a few times in the red zone over the last few weeks, and in man coverage, you got to think Thomas, the top rated receiver in the draft class of 2008, would be able to beat the 4th string corner on the hapless Rams or the injury-plagued Giants.

Of course, you would also think he would catch a ball that hit him in the chest too, but, ya know. Whatever. :)

Campbell looked great out there, considering what he was allowed to do. I know some are criticizing him for 'holding onto the ball too long', but I think that shows determination and courage on his part, versus the constant dumpoffs or throwing away of the ball we've tended to see from him where he got rid of it before plays had a chance to develop. I don't know how many times he shifted in the pocket to extend plays last Sunday, but it was more than a few.

I see that as progress.

Now if our coach will actually let him take some chances ....

Zorn won't be back in 2010 unless he has a change of heart and decides he has to adapt himself to achieve better results at this level.

But he appears to be quite stubborn and on that basis I think the balance of 2009 may very well be a chance for Mike Shanahan or Mike Holmgren to study the team and decide which changes need to be made.

With Jerry Jones also perhaps in the market for a headliner for his new stadium, there is going to be competition for a large group of proven NFL coaches that are currently at home spending time with their families :)

If things don't go well in Dallas or DC, you could see the bidding war of all bidding wars if they both have their eyes on the same guy. If Wade Phillips gets canned, I think all bets, promises to Jason Garrett or not, are off.

If I weren't emotionally involved, that could be entertaining. Like a good catfight :)

I think I may have been one of the most vocal against Jason. I had the opportunity to see some of the highlights of the game and it looked like he read the thread Lanky started expressing what Jason needed to do to win immediately.

The one thing I saw that impressed me the most was when he stepped up in the pocket and completed a clutch reception. I do have to say I am still not sold on his abilities after watching Peyton pick apart Miami's D on audible after audible. I know they all can't be like Peyton, but his little brother was reading the Dallas D and picking them apart late in that game as well.

I am not trying to bash Jason, from what I saw he played well. I just want to see him call an audible in the redzone when he knows the call from the sideline won't work. That's what makes the great ones great!

:claps: Jason! Let's go out and improve some more against the Lions!

Although it's unfair to compare JC to Manning (a future HOFer) almost by definition, you cannot help but be struck by how incredibly aggressive Manning is in setting the offense, readjusting, audibling (did you see the TD he literally drew up by audibling into the correct play call late in the game last night?)...and also his incredibly quick decision-making and release. I don't care how much of a fan anyone here is of JC - he looks like a statue stuck in molasses by comparison.

I hate to say it, but even compared to the 'other Manning', the results are roughly the same. JC appears at times to play at 1/4 speed in a full-speed universe. That's a big part of the problem IMHO, and I'm afraid it's the one quality he may not be able to be 'coached' out of and which may most severely limit his effectiveness at the NFL level.

One other side note - has anyone else noticed how much more quickly other teams offenses are getting to the line? Watch the next few games you turn on and compare other NFL offenses (particularly Indy's and NE's) to our own - you're going to see a stark contrast with those other QBs having 15-20 seconds of time to scan the set defense, make a determination, adjust their own offensive set (sometimes even more than once). The redskins offense not only doesn't get to the line with enough time to make adjustments, we're lucky to get the play off in time often times. I think this is a significant issue.

Last edited:
Boone, I watched that remarkable drive to take the lead and the watched Miami at the other end. I couldn't help but think how very familiar the Dolphin's drive was, poor clock management, slow to get to the line of scrimmage and poor reads by a QB who is better than he showed last night in that drive.

And I don't think it is fair to compare JC to Peyton or even Eli at this stage, it just amazes me how Peyton comes to the LOS and scans the D, reads their positions and calls the exact play that wins the game. He is a marvel!

I just wish JC had an ounce of that ability!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.