• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Is It Possible To Have A Disease That Tests Repeatedly Miss?

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
The disease in question is Hyperthyroidism. For about the past 10-15 years, I rarely get sick, but very often I do get strange symptoms that multiple doctors can never seem to diagnose. I feel like I must have the record for doctor visits that result in a doctor saying something is wrong, they just don't know what.

For every new symptom I develop, I google it first. Oddly enough, every single time, literally every single time, Hyperthyroidism comes up as a possible cause. The problem is, I have had blood and urine screens done by multiple doctors, and every single one has shown normal thyroid function. However, no doctor has ever done the more extensive tests I've read about, such as antibodies and hormone screens. I don't know if it's because they are more expensive and my insurance won't cover it, or if it's because they just won't do it if the quick and simple tests come up normal every time.

Here is a list of stmptoms I have had steadily for this time span.....Insomnia (I go to sleep around 2am every day and wake up around 6am), heart palpitations, rapid heart rate, weight loss and gain for no reason (I have gone spans where I was 30-40 pounds lighter or heavier in a span of 2-3 months with no change in diet or activity), warm skin and flushing, brittle hair, shaky hands (which actually lead them to test me for Parkinson's), changes in vision (being better or worse every year when I get my exam), excessive fatigue and muscle weakness, extreme heat intolerance, irritability, excessive sweating (which lead them to test me for hyperhydrosis, which came back negative), very itchy skin, extreme constipation, severe anxiety, increased tearing of the eyes, confusion, hypertension, and most recently a condition called Terry's Nails (googling it can explain it better than I can).

So I literally have every single symptom known to exist for the disorder. When you couple that with the fact My mother and grandfather both also have it, it makes me more likely to have it. Problem is, when the tests keep coming up negative, the doctor's are at a loss for what to do. Multiple doctors agree that my symptoms are textbook for it, but can find no evidence of it beyond the symptoms. They also cannot treat it, because if I take medicine for it and don't actually have it, the medicine could kill me. It's a catch-22. They're all pretty certain I have it, but they can't prove it.

It's possible the symptoms could be for a different disorder altogether, but they are all hung up on the possibility that it's Hyperthyroidism. It sucks to possibly have something and not be able to get treated for it. Is there a test I can ask for that any of you know of? Is it possible that I do have it and something is causing the results to be masked into appearing negative?

I just want answers, and I hate that I've been dealing with these problems for so long and can't find a treatment or cause. Over the years they've just treated the symptoms as they arise, but I'm so tired of being on all these pills, I just don't want to do it anymore. I need them to find an answer.

Extreme, most tests for medical conditions contain the possibility of showing both false positives and false negatives in test results. Usually the percentages of false positives or false negatives are quite small and the probabilities involved are factored into the diagnoses.

A possible resource for you to check out is this article detailing tests for hyperthyroidism that you may find useful.

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/hyperthyroidism/diagnosing-hyperthyroidism-overactivity-thyroid-gland

Extreme, most tests for medical conditions contain the possibility of showing both false positives and false negatives in test results. Usually the percentages of false positives or false negatives are quite small and the probabilities involved are factored into the diagnoses.

A possible resource for you to check out is this article detailing tests for hyperthyroidism that you may find useful.

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/hyperthyroidism/diagnosing-hyperthyroidism-overactivity-thyroid-gland
I will definitely follow that link right after typing this, but I have been tested 7 times already, by 4 different doctors. They all say the same thing - with my symptoms, I have to have it, but the test says I undoubtedly do not. To say it's frustrating would be calling the sun a little warm.

Edit: After reading that page, it leads me to wonder something. I wonder if it's possible that my "normal" T3/4 levels were lower than what is widely considered normal, and then I could have developed Hyperthyroidism, which elevated my levels, but just elevated them to the upper end of what they consider normal? Or if it's possible I could have a cyst or tumor that is altering the release of the hormones? Oddball possibilities like this are things I've never considered before. I don't know why that article made me think of that, but it was like a lightbulb going off. I'll definitely have to ask my doctor about the possibility of that. I also have a personal an very extensive family history of benign tumors and cysts, so it may be feasible.

Last edited:
from a family full of nurses and working in Health Service, I get told constantly never use the net to check symptoms. Let your Doctor do his job.

I know it is hard to do but in the end it is best for your sanity if nothing else

I understand what they are saying about the treatment though. From personal experiance once they give you any synthetic medication connected to your Thyroid, then your Thyroid stops doing what it is supposed to do and your stuck on the medication for life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.