A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Default The Great Pacific Garbage Patch

This is one of our greatest environmental threats, yet you hardly hear about it

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrAShtolieg[/video]
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

I remember watching a video on this in high school where the heart of the patch was so thick and massive, that the guy shooting the video was able to get out of his boar and walk on part of it like it was an island.

I'm not an environmentalist by any stretch of the imagination, but I was raised by parents who drilled into my head good habits. So rather than being the textbook definition of an environmentalist, I'd say I'm just aware and have sense enough to know what not to do to the environment if that makes sense. I do not now, and never have contributed to the problem, and seeing someone litter is my absolute biggest pet peeve. I have actually, on more than one occasion, picked up a piece of trash that someone casually threw on the ground and handed it to them until I physically watched them throw it away. There's no excuse for it other than being a lazy slob, and laziness drives me insane.

The worst is when I go fishing on piers, or go to the beach. Here in Virginia Beach, our beach literally has a trash can every 40-50 feet for 60 blocks. Piers, they are about every 10 feet. I can't tell you how many times I have watched someone sitting within arms reach of a trash can throw trash on the ground. There should be a law allowing you to punch these people in the nose.

I don't want to look at filth, it's disgusting. And I have always been a huge animal lover, and have had the misfortune of seeing what this stuff does to animals, and it really pisses me off.

People need to realize it isn't about being an enviro-nut. It's about being a decent human being.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Just that damn bottled water alone accounts for a huge deal of it. It just makes me hate that business that much more. Not only do they rip people off with sick bottled water prices, and lie and falsely advertise the quality of their water, but those **** bottles end up as a huge percentage of the waste, floating in our waters and such.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by Fear The Spear View Post
    Just that damn bottled water alone accounts for a huge deal of it. It just makes me hate that business that much more. Not only do they rip people off with sick bottled water prices, and lie and falsely advertise the quality of their water, but those **** bottles end up as a huge percentage of the waste, floating in our waters and such.
    You're exactly right. Years ago, I sold water filtration systems for a company called Rainsoft. During our in-home demos, we did all sorts of tests designed to wow the customer with the purity of our water and the things pure water can do. There were no gimmicks with it, just amazing results. The test I loved the most, was the chemical and precipitate tests. We would take some glass bottles, and allow the customer to take all three bottles, clean them out, and pour tap water in one, our water in another, and the bottled water they were drinking in a third. We allowed them to do all of this so they didn't think it was a magic trick. Then we would put a few drops of a reagent and activator into each bottle. the results always impressed. The Rainsoft was always still clear, the tap water went from slightly foggy and yellow to more thickly clouded and white, depending on where you lived, and the bottled water and pur/brita filtered water without fail every time, almost completely congealed. People were disgusted at the fact that the water they thought was the cleanest is in fact the most vile, and it isn't even close. Of course, not all bottle water was undrinkable after watching the tests.....Fiji was great, but it's something like $3 for a 16 oz bottle here, so not worth it at all. Dasani, Deer Park and Evian were the nastiest by far. You couldn't pay me to drink those after seeing what I've seen.

I have the benefit of living in a place with exceptionally high quality tap water, so I drink the tap water all the time. But I have family down in NC who have water so bad you couldn't pay me to drink it, and I would be buying that filtered water in the big jugs if I were them.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    and the bottled water and pur/brita filtered water without fail every time, almost completely congealed.
    Are you saying the Pur/Brita filters are no good, and actually harmful, and make water just as bad as bottled water ?
    Last edited by Fear The Spear; 05-10-12 at 11:46 PM.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Are you saying the Pur/Brita filters are no good, and actually harmful, and make water just as bad as bottled water ?
    Both of those filters do one thing, and one thing only. They contain activated charcoal, and do nothing more than remove the chlorine from the water. Unless they have come out with some fancy new version with ion exchange resin in it that costs a hundred bucks, they are pretty ineffective.

Most tap water contains at least a trace amount of Cryptosporidium, Giardia, microbial cysts, lead, sediment and chlorine. Some areas of the country are worse than others. There are about half a dozen filters on the market that take care of all of these, but you will pay more for them. Rainsoft, Culligan, GE and a few others make units that filter it for the entire house, but they can cost $1,200 - $6,000. They never have to be replaced though, just dump a bag of rock salt in the tank once every few months or so to clean the beads, and most have lifetime warranties.

For sink units, effective filters are very hard to find, and usually run about $60-$200 per filter, and are usually ineffective after several weeks, so that get expensive fast.

Honestly, the best solution for drinking water for effectiveness and price is a reverse osmosis unit. Nothing but pure water gets through, and you can get a decent one for $100-$200 and they last pretty long before you have to change out the filtration unit.

If you ever see a pink, orange or red ring in your toilet bowl, pet water bowls, or on your shower curtain, you have very high levels of certain bacterias in the water, and the color they form depends on the airborne bacterias they interact with.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Both of those filters do one thing, and one thing only. They contain activated charcoal, and do nothing more than remove the chlorine from the water.
    Interesting, because my Pur Filter says it removes (actually reduces, now that I look closer) Pharmaceuticals, plus ALL the stuff you mentioned in Tape water (Cryptosporidium, Giardia, microbial cysts, lead, sediment and chlorine), plus Mercury, Industrial Chemicals, Agricultural Pollutants, and Chlorination by-products like TTHM.

Actually, now that I look closer, next to Chlorine it says (Taste and Odor).
    So, it doesn't actually remove the chlorine itself, just your sense of it, meaning the health affects are still there ?
    Or maybe it means Taste & Odor, in addition to removing the chlorine ?

So, are they lying about all the other contaminants, or just being sneaky with the word "reducing" since maybe it just reduces a microscopic amount ?

Honestly, the best solution for drinking water for effectiveness and price is a reverse osmosis unit. Nothing but pure water gets through, and you can get a decent one for $100-$200 and they last pretty long before you have to change out the filtration unit.
    Actually, I've noticed on at least some of the bottled waters, it says purified by reverse osmosis. Are they lying, or do I just happen to be stumbling on the good ones ?

If you ever see a pink, orange or red ring in your toilet bowl, pet water bowls, or on your shower curtain, you have very high levels of certain bacterias in the water, and the color they form depends on the airborne bacterias they interact with.
    Actually I get black stains. On my toilet bowl, some black stain drips downward on the sides of the toilet boil.

I also get black stains on my shower curtain. But I always thought that was mold or mildew.

I also get strange light brown stains on my laundry, that are unexplained. It's definitely coming from the laundry, and not from wear. In fact, those stains eventually become holes. Like whatever it is that caused the stain, is literally eating through the fabric.

Eecck.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Yeah, its really sad. There's not a whole lot that can be done, either, because either the money is not there, or the technology is not there. Its really sad.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Interesting, because my Pur Filter says it removes (actually reduces, now that I look closer) Pharmaceuticals, plus ALL the stuff you mentioned in Tape water (Cryptosporidium, Giardia, microbial cysts, lead, sediment and chlorine), plus Mercury, Industrial Chemicals, Agricultural Pollutants, and Chlorination by-products like TTHM.
    Reduces is exactly how they are able to make the misleading claims. Technically, running swamp water through toilet paper will reduce the contaminants in it, because it's bound to catch some of them, but would you drink it? The thing to look for on the label, is what is in the filter. If it's just charcoal, it's BS. The only thing that removes that stuff from water is ion exchange resins or reverse osmosis.

Actually, now that I look closer, next to Chlorine it says (Taste and Odor).
    So, it doesn't actually remove the chlorine itself, just your sense of it, meaning the health affects are still there ?
    Or maybe it means Taste & Odor, in addition to removing the chlorine ?
    The effects are still there for the most part, because the reason you don't taste or smell the chlorine is because the charcoal neutralizes it. It's still there, it just isn't potent anymore. As to whether that makes it any less of a hazard, I have no idea.

So, are they lying about all the other contaminants, or just being sneaky with the word "reducing" since maybe it just reduces a microscopic amount ?
    They are flat out misleading intentionally by using comforting words.

Actually, I've noticed on at least some of the bottled waters, it says purified by reverse osmosis. Are they lying, or do I just happen to be stumbling on the good ones ?
    They aren't lying. If it says purified, or if it says it comes from an aquifer, it's clean. But those typically cost more. The cheapest one that claims to be clean that actually is would be Aquafina. I personally don't like Aquafina, but it is clean.

Actually I get black stains. On my toilet bowl, some black stain drips downward on the sides of the toilet boil.

I also get black stains on my shower curtain. But I always thought that was mold or mildew.
    That is mold and mildew, and unfortunately as long as there is air, there will always be mold and mildew.

I also get strange light brown stains on my laundry, that are unexplained. It's definitely coming from the laundry, and not from wear. In fact, those stains eventually become holes. Like whatever it is that caused the stain, is literally eating through the fabric.

Eecck.
    I have that same problem, and I really wish someone could tell me what does that. I lose more clothes to that than to anything else. I have the same stains, just very small, appear on the rim of my coffee cups. Never have figured it out.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

What about drinking Distilled Water ?

Or water that says it comes from a Spring, as opposed to just purified ?

I don't know a lot about this stuff, so I always assumed Spring Water is naturally cleaner than "purified" water.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

What about drinking Distilled Water ?

Or water that says it comes from a Spring, as opposed to just purified ?

I don't know a lot about this stuff, so I always assumed Spring Water is naturally cleaner than "purified" water.
    Purified is actually way cleaner than spring. Most spring water is not filtered, so you're drinking the water, plus anything that naturally gets into it.

Distilled water is something a lot of people drink, but it's actually bad for you. It's extremely acidic and drinking it on a regular basis can actually cause health problems.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Good info, Ex, thanks for posting. I have been starting to seriously consider a rainwater harvesting system for potable water at our house, after reading an eye-opening book on what's in our drinking water, and the potential shortages some parts of the country and world could face in the coming decades.

I will now be looking into what kind of filtration system is used much more carefully than I would have before. Thanks again.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

man extreme you just ruined water for this morning.

but good information... time to look at getting a real water filtration system.

for some on topic remarks:
    This sort of thing is why I hate the "Global Warming" movement and debate that is constantly going on. It takes away from the simple, yet more important (to me), problem this country has. We pollute like a son of a bitch.
    Everything from factories to people throwing a burger wrapper out of their window going down the highway. We need to get away from the polarizing issue of global warming, and back on the general idea that we need to take care of our environment. We need to thoroughly use resources, not just waste them. We need to recycle things. We need to pick up after ourselves.

In some cases, yes it will mean something costs more. Doing things the right way doesn't mean doing things the cheap way. We're destroying the only place we can live... just doesn't make sense. We're like a virus (lol matrix)
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Eh, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. The best part of waking up, is Giardia in your cup!
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

I'm glad all the hours and books full of information I had to learn finally came in handy

Another gimmicky thing I've seen some companies starting to do now is brag about how their water is UV or Ozone treated. There are certain types of bacteria that it can kill, but no more than air does.

If I had the money to, I would buy one of the larger whole house units. The demos we did were pretty awesome. We used to ask the customer to get a clean washcloth, and it in a bowl of our water. After 30 seconds, we'd pull it out, and the water had drawn out enough soap to do a load of laundry.

Regular tap water is the reason you have to clean the lint trap on your dryer. The minerals in the water make the fibers on your clothes brittle, and they break off in the dryer. With filtered water, that all goes away.

We would also ask customers to show us a stain on their carpet or furniture they can't get out and dump water and a little bit of Ivory soap on it, and the stain would come out immediately. I cleaned stains out that people swore Stanley Steemer had been there and failed to remove.

I personally think the best thing about it was for people with skin problems. It damn near cures eczema, psoriasis, dry skin.....anyone who has ever showered in filtered water can tell you it's different. You literally feel like you got rubbed down in lotion, it's unreal.

I'm not trying to sound like a salesman, it's just that a lot of people don't realize what a huge difference clean water makes. I'm just not willing to pay $6k for the top notch stuff. Mainly because I don't have it
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Wow, so if the clear, "puritified", bottled water is that nasty, then imagine what crap is hidden in the water they use for other drinks they sell, such as sodas, juice, teas, etc !! Some of them say "filtered" or "purified" water in the ingredients, but it's probably the toilet paper method you mentioned !

I've been looking into some of the alternate water systems, such as Alkalinized, Ozonated, or Kangen water. I've even heard of these waters curing illness or disease. Know anything about these ?
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Wow, so if the clear, "puritified", bottled water is that nasty, then imagine what crap is hidden in the water they use for other drinks they sell, such as sodas, juice, teas, etc !! Some of them say "filtered" or "purified" water in the ingredients, but it's probably the toilet paper method you mentioned !

I've been looking into some of the alternate water systems, such as Alkalinized, Ozonated, or Kangen water. I've even heard of these waters curing illness or disease. Know anything about these ?
    Ozonated water is something I have extensive knowledge on, and as I stated in my last post, it is a complete scam. It doesn't do anything but make it taste better. All the bad stuff is still there though, it just kills it. Why drink water with dead bacteria, when you can drink water with no bacteria?

I've never heard of the other two, but I have done a lot of research over the years on alkaline products, and if you want my honest opinion, I'd bet money that keeping the human body alkaline would completely prevent cancer. Granted, I'm not a doctor, but if you look at all the things they know about cancer, and you look at all they know about alkalinity, it has to work in theory. It's as cut and dry on paper as being pretty certain you can't set ice cubes on fire. Now whether it's actually even possible for the human body to become truly alkaline, well I have no idea on that.

And just to clarify on the purified vs. filtered water. For it to legally say purified on the label, it has to be 100% nothing but pure, clean water. It cannot have any sediment, contaminants, etc. at all, not even trace amounts. Filtered is more like the toilet paper method I mentioned earlier. Years ago I got to visit a place that produced Dasani water. It was terrible.

The filters they ran the water through were nothing more than giant coffee filters. It's a useless method, because almost everything that is in tainted water is smaller than the holes in the filters, so it essentially stops nothing. Then on tap of that, they add their own minerals like magnesium sulfate, and potassium chloride to the water to enhance the storage duration and taste, so they actually make it worse for you before bottling it. And people still flock to it, it's mind boggling. That was in 2006. Apparently some time around 2010, they claim to have started running their dirty tap water through reverse osmosis.

Since they got caught lying to the public about whether they were putting Benzine in their water (they were), it makes you tend to believe they might be willing to lie about anything.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Baylor

Back to the original topic. Humans have historically done a terrible job of taking care of Mother Earth. Ever been to Haiti? That island was ruined by the French when they ravaged the Mahogany forests. The country never recovered from the massive soil erosion that is still occurring. Not to mention the other filth whose stench you can smell in your nostrils for days. The water pollution issue is greater than the controversial concept of "global warming" Clean water is becoming the most prized commodity in this world.
    0 0 0 0