• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

YahooSports: Trick-shot quarterback Alex Tanney gets invitation to Bills’ rookie camp

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
UPDATE : Tanney signed by Chiefs !!! See post 3

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...n-tanney-gets-invitation-bills-132809931.html

Trick-shot quarterback Alex Tanney gets invitation to Bills’ rookie camp

The draft scouting process is generally a long and complicated one, but there are times when various outliers jump up for other reasons than the usual height/weight/speed concerns. You may remember former San Jose State defensive end Jarron Gilbert getting a great deal of notoriety for a YouTube video shot in 2008, in which he displayed his athleticism and explosiveness by jumping out of a swimming pool just before the 2009 NFL Draft. Originally selected by the Chicago Bears in the third round of that draft. Since then, he's also spent time on the New York Jets roster, and he's now with the Buffalo Bills.

Turns out that the Bills are open to other YouTube sensations, as they made clear this week. When Monmouth College quarterback Alex Tanney put this video up last year, the buzz started quickly -- and it hasn't stopped.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxDJb03a0yo[/media]

Several NFL teams asked Tanney to compete in their rookie minicamps this month, and he accepted the invitation of the Bills, who start their camp May 11.

"I'm from a small school, and the only thing I've ever really wanted was an opportunity to get into a camp," the 23-year-old Tanney told SI.com about the chance. "And now I have that in Buffalo, so I'm anxious to get out there and compete for a spot."

Tanney enjoys the notoriety from the video, but he's now focused on making his next dream come true. "The success and the numbers I put up speak for themselves rather than the YouTube video," Tanney said. "But obviously, that's what people are going to talk about ... We really didn't expect it to take off like it did. It kind of blew up. We had fun with it. It was a good experience. But I kind of think that's past me. I'm just looking forward to getting my shot in the NFL."

Of course, NFL teams aren't just going to call up any trick-shot guy; Tanney does have some pretty impressive qualifications from a purely football perspective. The 14,429 yards he passed for at Monmouth gave him the all-time Division III record, and his 157 touchdown passes is the all-time NCAA mark. Tanney worked with Chad Pennington at the TEST Football Academy in Boca Raton, Fla. before the draft, and though he suspected that he'd miss out on hearing his name called, Tanney wanted to be as prepared as possible.

Tanney's in a good spot for his position. Head coach Chan Gailey is one of the best quarterback developers in the NFL, and current Bills starter Ryan Fitzpatrick shares Tanney's past -- he was selected in the late seventh round after a collegiate career at a school not exactly known for a feeder stream to the NFL (Harvard). Fitzpatrick backup Tyler Thigpen was also a seventh-round pick a few years back.

So, the Bills have no problem thinking outside the box. Or outside the pool. Vince Young recently tried out for the team, but can he hit the side of a goalpost on command from 50 yards away throwing from his knees? Maybe he should start practicing...

Last edited:
Haha, that's pretty cool. Amazing how accurate these guys can be.

He made it as a PRO !!

Now playing for Jim Zorn in KC !!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAX7hOzjzZU[/media]

He played in the last preseason game, makes the squad, but ends up on the IR

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.