• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Sign 12 College Free Agents

Anyone else concerned that we didn't get a single Safety in the Draft or UDFA's, considering our dire need there ?

Dire need? Really? We have 2 guys on the roster who started for us last year and have signed 3 other guys this off season, all with starting experience and one a Pro Bowler.

While I am not ready to call this position one of strength on this team, the need there is far from "dire".

Me too! People always give me crap for going out of my way to watch preseason games; this is the best part of football for me. Seeing the unheralded guys doing everything they can to make the squad. Football at its purest!

I see Garçon, Hankerson & Robinson as the only locks to make the roster, personally. Aldrick is a speedster who started to come on last season, and was signed to the active roster to protect from getting scooped up by another team. I think they're holding open tryouts for 4-5 WR spots, which is awesome. I love seeing competitions for roster spots! Earn that spot young man! I also think Moss will be a June 1st cut, or will be traded prior to camps opening up.

Did you see the other thread? Banks might lose his spot to Crawford!

EDIT: in Banks' defense, I've read that it was Danny Smith who told him to take it out or kneel it down. Fire Danny Smith!

Fire Danny Smith! for sure... And every year there is that one player who goes undrafted that everybody roots for whether they like pre-season or not, it's the great Cinderella story for guys.

Two things:

First, no I didn't see the thread about Banks losing his job...potentially. I have not seen the video of Crawford as of yet. But I was extremely surprised Banks lasted all last year to begin with. I will be surprised to see him on opening day unless he blazes at least 2 maybe 3 TD returns in the pre-season.

Second, Santana Moss will be on our opening day roster. I am not buying his release on June 1st. He still has too much to offer. It's good that we have a lot of young guys vying for a position at WR, but Garçon is not a veteran in the sense that Moss is. Moss is reported to have slimmed down, and taken the uncertainty to heart by working harder this offseason than in years past. While I do not believe Shanahan is going to coach his team or make decisions exclusively on the success or failure of other squads, but you gotta imagine he is looking at the Steve Smith/Cam Newton relationship last year thinking, Santana could be a great veteran to help the rookie along.

I like the Garçon signing, but Moss is a wily veteran who has been to the Pro-Bowl numerous times, he has at least one more year to help Griff. To be honest, Moss needs to be on this offense. He is the only truly battle tested receiver we have. Garçon? Well, he had one of the best of all time throwing to him, so we will have to see how much was his talent as opposed to the team he played for. Last year with the QB mess they had in Indy gave us a glimpse that he can be successful with us but if Moss is physically capable of keeping up with these kids, he brings a wealth of veteran experience to help these youngsters get up to speed. I think it'd be foolish to release Moss. Trade? That's a different story, but I doubt we release him.

I'll put it this way - I would not be surprised to see Moss on the roster opening day, but I don't expect it. :)

Smith is on my list too :)

Even though I like the Rackers signing I agree with the Gano boosters out there that once Trent Williams went down to an injury last year Smith was unable to come up with a unit that could block on that side for FGs and PATs and that cost this team some points.

Teams routinely penetrated our line on ST kicks and what was ironic was that on the OL where we had a number of injuries, the players brought in played decently despite being moved to new spots with little time to adjust.

On teams the problem with blocking for FGs continued for the entire season. No combination of players could be found who could learn these assignments and perform?

I find that difficult to fathom.

Dire need? Really? We have 2 guys on the roster who started for us last year and have signed 3 other guys this off season, all with starting experience and one a Pro Bowler.

While I am not ready to call this position one of strength on this team, the need there is far from "dire".

Starting experience does not equate to being a solid player, especially if the competition around you is weak.
And one of those 3 guys we signed, has serious, serious character issues.
I don't feel good about any of our safeties.

Maybe he'll have a resurgence the way Steve Smith did in Carolina with Cam Newton.

That would be awesome - if there is anything that helps a young QB succeed in the NFL, its a proven, reliable route-runner. Moss is certainly that.

Smith just had one "off" year in 2010. And that's just according to his standards. By most standards that off-year was pretty good. So, I wouldn't say that he had, or needed, a "resurgence"

You can call it an off year because his numbers went back up this past season. I wouldn't say that "by most standards that off-year was pretty good." 46 receptions for only 554 yards and 2 TDs is not "pretty good." (that ranked him as 76th overall for receptions, 81st overall for yards, tied for 104th for TD rec, and 76th for yards/game).

Before the season a lot of people thought he might be washed up. Not coincidentally, his numbers improved when Carolina got a decent QB behind center. I think there are significant parallels between Santana Moss this year and Steve Smith last year, not the least of which being the Redskins have a QB who might be more effective in getting him the ball.

Last edited:
Smith just had one "off" year in 2010. And that's just according to his standards. By most standards that off-year was pretty good. So, I wouldn't say that he had, or needed, a "resurgence"

Smith's 2005 - 2008 numbers:
2005: 103, 1563, 12
2006: 83, 1166, 8
2007: 87, 1002, 7
2008: 78, 1421, 6

Smith's 2009 - 2010 numbers:
2009: 65, 982, 7
2010: 46, 554, 2

Smith's numbers last year:
2011: 79, 1394, 7

Pretty sure its safe to call it a "resurgence."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.