• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Ron Jaworski: Q&A on RGIII

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Let's get back to parsing RGIII, shall we? :)

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/redskins-confidential/2012/05/qa-rg3-ron-jaworski/563186

Wed, 2012-05-02 14:03

Talked to ESPN analyst, and former NFL quarterback, Ron Jaworski for a story on Robert Griffin III’s adjustment to the NFL – what could cause problems and what probably won’t. But I was only able to get in a little bit of what Jaworski had to say and, because he’s insightful, figured I’d print the full interview here. You can thank me later. Or you can tell me to get lost. Whatever.

Here it is:

Q: What areas of concern do you have about Griffin transitioning to the NFL?

A: I’ll digress a little bit. I was at RG3’s workout and I spoke to Dan and Mike and Kyle and Bruce and everyone down there. But in preparation for that Pro Day workout I studied Robert’s games and had a good idea of his skill set. I spoke to Terry Shea who was working with him – I have ridiculous respect for Terry. He’s very good at the mechanics of the quarterback position and getting guys ready for the next level. A couple concerns I had watching him at Baylor… I was a little concerned about the consistency. I thought many of his throws were off-balance and at times mechanically unsound with his footwork and balance. I was a little concerned about his throwing slot. There are times, and the great quarterbacks know when to change that platform to bring it sidearm, to get on their toes and avoid a rush and avoid a guy’s hands up… there’s a time when you want to be out of that slot. But I was concerned about the consistency of that. When I watched his workout I was watching those two areas of his game that I considered flaws. After that workout he did not have a flaw. I was very impressed with the work he had done to improve on what I perceived as weaknesses. It taught me two things: He’s coachable and he accepts coaching and he wants to get better. That’s critical when you go to the next level. You have to be a sponge to learn and study and prepare.

Q: Going from Baylor’s spread offense to an NFL attack, what are some of the little things he has to get used to? Is learning to play under center that big a deal?

A: I think the snaps under center are irrelevant. He did take some snaps under center. I can speak from experience. I played at Youngstown State in the sidesaddle T, which is a variation of the present spread shot gun. Every snap I took was away from center. It probably took me two days [in an NFL camp] to get that down. These guys are incredible athletes. I don’t foresee that as a problem. I also don’t see coming from that spread offense as a problem. When you study him you have to look for pro type throws. And he made a lot of pro throws even in this offense in the gun. So I don’t think there will be a problem. There are a lot of bubble screens and it’s not a complex offense, granted. However, that’s the offense he was taught and the offense he knows. I think the guy is smart and works so none of those are issues. Cam Newton dispelled that myth last year. Robert will continue to dispel that myth. You’re talking about a guy of high intellect and he’ll understand pro-style offense. It won’t be easy because it’s hard to get it down, but eventually he’ll be very good in a pro-style offense.

Q: Did you see a lot of plays that showed you his high football IQ?

A: Oh yeah there are numerous plays. This is an offense where there’s a lot that takes place at the line of scrimmage. He’s reading an end, he’s reading a safety and he’s reading linebackers. They dictate if he throws hots or if he throws down the field. There were plays where he read the middle of the field open and hit plays down the field. His deep ball is as good as I’ve seen since Jeff Blake. I still believe he’s as good a deep ball thrower as I’ve ever seen. Robert has that high arching rainbow that sets down in the receiver’s hands. There were many instances of throws that project to the NFL.

Q: Did you get a different feel at his Pro Day vs. watching him on film? Seems like there’d be a big difference...

The Rest HERE

I need some oxygen. :)

I hate it when Jaworski says somthing I like

Waiting for the first, "WTF? Jeff Blake?" response. ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U11SmWC_UNY[/media]

Here is hoping we some deep passes leading to walk in TDs this year, just like are featured in that video Om. It is what this offense has been missing for too long.

Waiting for the first, "WTF? Jeff Blake?" response. ;)

I have to admit when I first read that I thought "Jeff Blake? I don't want RG3 compared to some crappy old Bengal QB" but then I thought, I really have no idea whether Blake was a good deep ball thrower. Thanks for the vid.

:)

Ron Jaworski said:
When I watched his workout I was watching those two areas of his game that I considered flaws. After that workout he did not have a flaw. I was very impressed with the work he had done to improve on what I perceived as weaknesses. It taught me two things: He’s coachable and he accepts coaching and he wants to get better. That’s critical when you go to the next level. You have to be a sponge to learn and study and prepare.

I have no doubt that the young man is extremely coachable.
The only question is the quality of that QB coaching he will receive under the Skins staff :)

How is the history of our coaching staff, when it comes to actually developing QB's ?

Mike Shanahan? He is phenomenal at developing QBs. His history is virtually spotless, and one of the more impressive histories in the entire NFL.

Here is hoping we some deep passes leading to walk in TDs this year, just like are featured in that video Om. It is what this offense has been missing for too long.

I keep envisioning Niles Paul lined up on the right side as a TE. Griff rolls out to the right and all the action comes along with him...the line, the receivers all moving right. As the action moves right, Niles Paul releases and gets open on the far side. Griff hits him in stride down the left side as Paul has about 10 yards on the safety who is late to get to him. Niles Paul streaks down the sideline for a 61 yd TD reception.

Last year it was Rex rolling right, throwing it across the field to Fred Davis who had to wait for the ball to catch up to him, giving the safety enough time to recover enough to tackle Fred. We picked up several 1st downs with that play...it was susccessful, but this year we should have a TE fast enough to break it after a QB throws the ball to him in stride.

Mike Shanahan? He is phenomenal at developing QBs. His history is virtually spotless, and one of the more impressive histories in the entire NFL.

Let's take a look.
His history includes coaching the following starting QB's :

John Elway
Bill Musgrave
Bubby Brister
Chris Miller
Gus Frerotte
Steve Buerlein
Danny Kanell
Jarius Jackson
Jake Plummer
Jay Cutler
Donovan McNabb
Rex Grossman
John Beck

The QB's in that list who were successful - it had little or nothing to do with Shanahan's coaching.
The rest of them were either mediocre, or less than mediocre.
Thus, I see no evidence of him actually developing a QB into something much better than he already was.
Who do you say he developed into greatness ?

Last edited:
I'm sorry but after that complete melt down Jaws had last Sat. when we selected Cousins,where he proceeded to show his arse, I lost alot of respect for what he brings to the tv tube.

Anyone else need new undies? Just me? :)

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

Let's take a look.

John Elway
Bill Musgrave
Bubby Brister
Chris Miller
Gus Frerotte
Steve Buerlein
Danny Kanell
Jarius Jackson
Jake Plummer
Jay Cutler
Donovan McNabb
Rex Grossman
John Beck

The QB's in that list who were successful - it had little or nothing to do with Shanahan's coaching.
Thus, I see no evidence of him actually developing a QB into something much better than he already was.

You forgot at least Steve Young and Brian Griese. Just sayin'.

I don't think the ability to 'develop QBs' = being a frigging miracle worker. I think it's fair to say Shanahan has had success in developing starters. I have no concerns with his ability in that regard, especially with young QBs who have all the physical talent and intelligence a QB needs.

'People matriculate to him'.

Yes Jaws. They graduate to his warm, engaging personality. For some reason, I found this hilarious :)

Let's take a look.

John Elway
Bill Musgrave
Bubby Brister
Chris Miller
Gus Frerotte
Steve Buerlein
Danny Kanell
Jarius Jackson
Jake Plummer
Jay Cutler
Donovan McNabb
Rex Grossman
John Beck

So you don't think his coaching mattered when he was Offensive Coordinator of the SF 49ers building up Steve Young from '92 to '94 when they won the Superbowl? Steve Young does.

Steve Young said:
"Well first of all, no one is doubting my love affair with Mike Shanahan,” Young said. “I mean, the two of us, for three of four years, the guy was unbelievable. He can call plays like no one I’ve ever seen. He was just amazing in my professional career.

Link

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.