• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Seau reported dead of suicide

I am literally speechless. Stunning news.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

it's weird having it happen to someone you watched in his prime, and then saw on TV for years afterwards.

in an odd way, it may help future players that such a popular person did this... may cause more discussion and actually get some movement on a subject that, in my opinion, has really just received a bunch of bs posturing from both sides so far.

Seriously Mike? The 8th? Who are the other 7 (if you know that is)?

Most people shoot themselves in the head. He apparently shot himself in the chest, possibly suffering before he died. Terribly sad. :(

Did eh shoot himself in the chest? I was under the impression he shot himself in the head but I haven't read any reports since 2:30 when it first broke...

I know others have done it to preserve their brain for scientists to study. I would assume he did it for the same reasons.

I really hated hearing this piece of news today-always liked Junior.

Sad.

I've heard conflicting reports of a suicide note - has this been clarified yet?

Belichick on Seau: A day later, it is still hard to believe. Of all the players I have coached, nobody was more full of energy and vitality.

I sure hope this catapults league action against concussions, and something comes out of the research of his brain donation.

The problem is (assuming there really is a connection between concussion syndrome and depression/suicidal thoughts/etc.... which I know next to nothing about) what kind of 'league action' could possibly be taken beyond what's being done? Better helmets? More restrictive rules? I just don't see how you can significantly reduce concussions in a game as violent as NFL football has become.

I've heard talk they could get rid of the kickoff entirely - that might help - but it would change the game forever. And it would only diminish the risk on those plays - what about every other play where concussion is always a risk?

The problem is (assuming there really is a connection between concussion syndrome and depression/suicidal thoughts/etc.... which I know next to nothing about) what kind of 'league action' could possibly be taken beyond what's being done? Better helmets? More restrictive rules? I just don't see how you can significantly reduce concussions in a game as violent as NFL football has become.

I've heard talk they could get rid of the kickoff entirely - that might help - but it would change the game forever. And it would only diminish the risk on those plays - what about every other play where concussion is always a risk?

I don't claim to be an expert on this, so I cannot offer multiple suggestions on what they should do, but I am sure there are steps they can take. And the penalties they placed on the Bounty scandal, for example, is a step in the right direction. Some people are criticizing the penalties on those coaches and players as being too harsh. But when you consider things like Seau's situation, and how it can relate, there is no way you can call those penalties harsh.

At this time, I don't think there is any definitive proof that concussions from football lead to suicide. The NFL's only concern in their extreme over-reaction is to cover their own ass during any and all upcoming litigation.

The Seau and Dureson (sp) suicides are certainly tragic. But there is nothing I know of that proves either was a result of their football careers. In trying to understand suicide, people naturally look to the most convenient explanation for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.