• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Does Cheap Internet Or No ISP Internet Exist?

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
I have a bit of a situation I'm trying to solve. Google has been useless in my efforts, because it just floods the results pages with message board posters asking the same question I am, with no reliable responses.

I used to have Cox high speed internet. For multiple reasons, I dropped them and switched to Verizon. Now Verizon has notified me there will be a rate increase, along with a connection speed decrease, so I want something else.

Here's my dilemma - in Virginia Beach, there is no other option. I can't get AT&T, I can't get Comcast, I can't get Time-Warner, nothing. Only Cox and Verizon.

So what I was trying to find out, is whether anything exists similar to Magic Jack or Vonage, but for internet access? Or is there a device I can purchase and access the internet without paying a monthly fee? Satellite is not an option, only because of the absurd prices for slow connection speeds and expensive equipment, so I'd need something else.

This would all be for a desktop PC btw. And I am hoping that there would be a way to set it up for wifi to my mobile devices as well, like my current modem does.

And please avoid posting Google TiSP links :)

edit: is it possible, with no ISP, to put some sort of wifi adapter or router on my desktop and get on the internet that way?

Last edited:
Ah, I love BGO.

:)

Actually, Ex, that's one of my major pet peeves. Comcast has the internet monopoly around here, and it sucks major ass. Comcast blows, spectaularly. Their "customer service" is ****, the actual cable (internet and TV) comes in and out, all in all, it's effing terrible. Ntelos is opening a spinoff called Lumos (my Harry potter nerd-family thinks this is quite great for reasons inexplicable to me) that is supposed to be similar to a FIOS service, but so far, they only have service in virtually every part of Waynesboro but our street. :rant:

Anyway, I hear you, and it pisses me off. I swear there are days I might actually back a Republican if they promised to undo the cable/internet monopoly... :doh1:

I do hate it, and the FCC is doing a lot to try and bust up internet monopolies, but not enough apparently. The problem here in VB, is when Cox first came to the area in the early 80s, they offered stock to the city council in exchange for exclusive rights. Over the years, Verizon was able to go to court over it and win, but most other companies don't want to spend the money to come here, or simply can't afford to. I'd love to have Verizon Fios, but every part of VB other than my cul de sac has it, so I feel your pain.

That's a fantastic website, I have found.

http://www.google.com
Used to be. It's gotten excessively more useless in the past few months since they started optimizing it based on information they steal from you, rather than using their old formula. The new system sucks, and often turns up many things unrelated to your search.

And I already stated that I googled it. Google was unhelpful.

What does "No ISP" have to do with it ?
I didn't know if it was possible to just by something to make my desktop wifi and get internet through a wifi signal, without subscribing to a monthly internet plan through a provider.

At some point, either here or on ES, there was a member that mentioned a device they have used for years that basically amounted to off the grid internet. I just wish I could remember who was talking about it, and what it was exactly.

Oh, sorry. I mis-interpreted what you wrote. I was thinking ISP address, as opposed to just ISP.
So, I was like, "why is he trying to avoid having an ISP address ?"
Then I thought, "Wait, this is the guy who has a history of evading government online reconaissance, so it makes perfect sense for him to evade being identified on the net" LOL

Oh, sorry. I mis-interpreted what you wrote. I was thinking ISP address, as opposed to just ISP.
So, I was like, "why is he trying to avoid having an ISP address ?"
Then I thought, "Wait, this is the guy who has a history of evading government online reconaissance, so it makes perfect sense for him to evade being identified on the net" LOL
:laugh: Shhhhhhhhhh.

The government will track you down, even if you don't use an ISP.

I'm not seriously going off the grid or worried about the government.....for anyone who didn't catch the joke :)

I just want an affordable option that isn't Verizon or Cox, but that doesn't seem to exist here.

Of course, you could always get your wireless router fired up and do a search to see if anyone in the neighborhood has left their network unsecure;)

Of course, you could always get your wireless router fired up and do a search to see if anyone in the neighborhood has left their network unsecure;)
Already checked with my phone, and there are several :)

But if you're on someone else's network, does that give them access to your computer?

You also have no control over any viruses or the like which may be on their network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.