• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Jabar Gaffney Released

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date
i'm truly curious how much the twitter fiasco had to do with it, or if there were other attitude/personality issues the coaching staff had with him.

bottom line is he wasn't going to be our star WR going forward. i hope he gets picked up and does well (as long as it's outside the NFC East), but i'm not going to miss him either.

I don't know about this move. Was it financially related? We could have kept him as long as possible into the Training Camp trying to extract something for him when another team realizes their need for a WR.

I think this was about YACs. Gaffney did not have them, a necessity in the WCO.

I don't know about this move. Was it financially related? We could have kept him as long as possible into the Training Camp trying to extract something for him when another team realizes their need for a WR.

It was pretty clear when Mike told him that he could seek a trade that he no longer figured into the team's plans. When RG3 got the #10 jersey it was all but certain. I just think Mike wants to give him a chance to catch on with another team quickly instead of "holding him hostage" for trade purposes. Something like that probably garners respect from the other players as well.

Definitely sad to see him go, ESPECIALLY with so many UNPROVEN young receivers on the roster. But on the bright side, IMPO, it's better him than Moss, who many expected to be the veteran who'd be axed.

Personally, I think we should have kept both him and Moss.
Other than that, all we have is Garcon.
Morgan seems injury prone, and not very productive even when healthy, and the rest of the receivers are unproven like I said.

I see this as a vote of confidence in our young guys. Maybe they like Hankersen even more than we think they do.

I can't wait for Aldrick Robinson & Niles Paul to get their shots, personally.

EDIT: And a full season for Hank, of course.

You mean 2 fumble recoveries in the same game, to lock up a playoff game, and secure his team to a Super Bowl trophy aint much ? :)

Well I was referring to his contributions in Washington, but no, that's not much either. Right place at the right time. Depends on what your team does with the fumble recoveries, really.

Heh, they make the starting lineup for more than one week straight and they've already got em beat. ;)

From Graziano's NFC East Blog:

The Redskins like Gaffney and appreciate the production he gave them last year. They just don't see much value in having him around going forward as they develop their young offense around their new star quarterback. He was a 2011 stopgap, kind of like Grossman was at quarterback. They're not cutting him because of anything he said or did on Twitter a couple of weeks back. They're not cutting him because they don't think he's any good. They're cutting him because he doesn't fit there anymore.

And yeah, to answer a question I know I'll get 1,000 times in the next couple of days, I believe the Dallas Cowboys would be wise to take a look at him.

UGH! REALLY hoping Gaffney doesn't go to Dallas although I wouldn't put it past them.

I think this was about YACs. Gaffney did not have them, a necessity in the WCO.

I hear this a lot and I am not saying you're wrong. I just don't see how a receiver is supposed to get YAC if he is reaching, diving or jumping to catch the ball.

meh, no sweat off my back. Thanks for the one season, you're a Gator...good riddance! :evil:

Gaffney was never meant to be a long-term solution. We acquired him from Denver in an afterthought trade for Jeremy Jarmon. Is Jarmon even in the league this year? :)

We needed help last year and Gaffney, Stallworth, etc. provided that bridge. But we have acquired younger receivers in free agency and have Hankerson coming back as a #3 pick to add to the mix.

With this move and the one to release Beck we are saving $3.7M against the cap for 2012 which can go to a veteran player after June 1 or before that we might need to sign, esp a corner or TE.

Much of Gaffney's production was more from his familiarity with Grossman

I really do think Bruce and Mike are bottom line value guys.

Gaffney as the #3 or #4 here at $2.65M didn't represent good value under the cap.

Again, you take this salary and add it to Beck's and yo have almost $4M in additional flexibility for 2012.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I really do think Bruce and Mike are bottom line value guys.

Gaffney as the #3 or #4 here at $2.65M didn't represent good value under the cap.

Again, you take this salary and add it to Beck's and yo have almost $4M in additional flexibility for 2012.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device
Agreed. I also think Shan's is convinced Garçon, Morgan, Hankerson, Moss, Paul, and Robinson will get the job done. And well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.