• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes: Shanahan & 2012 Draft Picks

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
April 28, 2012
Redskins Park

Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan
Post-Draft Press Conference

On the decision to take a quarterback in the fourth round, after taking Robert Griffin III with the second overall pick in the draft:
“Everybody knows that any time you get a quarterback like Robert with the second pick in the draft, and give up two No. 1’s and a No. 2, that he’s your franchise quarterback. He’s going to be your quarterback for the next decade. He has everything I look for in a quarterback and in a person. I’ve always enjoyed an offense when you can move a quarterback around. With the exceptional speed that he has, to be able to drop back as well as throw on the move, that just doesn’t happen very often. That’s why we did what we did. In that, in the fourth round today, your third day, you’re trying to find people that can make your football team. We have a little bit more depth than we did in the past, and you got to do what you can do to give your team the best chance to have players and depth at each position. I got a chance to be around Kirk, and I got a chance to know him at the Senior Bowl. He’s a quality young man and he’ll come in here and have a chance to show us what we can do.”

On quarterback Kirk Cousins’ backup role with the Redskins:
“You’re right, but there are injuries. I’ve lost five tailbacks in three games. I’ve lost two tight ends as we did this year. I’ve lost three or four offensive linemen, and you’re two plays away from being the starter. We have to have depth on a football team to win and you want quality. So if you see a guy, a quality player that you can get in the fourth round like we did, that is one or two plays away from being the starter, hopefully it doesn’t happen, but you ought to be prepared if it does. Getting a chance to know [Cousins], to know what type of guy he is, to know what he brings to the table, I thought it was a steal for us at that position. With as many draft choices that we were able to get throughout the draft, I was pleased at the end result.

On the luxury of drafting with some depth already on the team:
“Well, we made a lot of progress. Any time you have 12 draft picks actually make your team and everybody at least dress for a game, you’re feeling pretty lucky. Especially with a guy like [Jarvis] Jenkins that goes down, he’s able to come back and help us this year. We didn’t have the depth we wanted to last year. Fortunately we had a good draft. Obviously, we helped ourselves. Now, when you take a look at free agency, we helped ourselves in a lot of areas there. We addressed some needs and we feel very good about where we are at.”

On what he told Cousins before he drafted him:
“I told him, 'I know you know that we obtained Robert,’ and that he was going to be our quarterback. He’s our franchise quarterback. He’s our quarterback of the future. Kirk Cousins is a very smart guy. I told him that I couldn’t pass him up. You’re in the fourth round and it’s the third day, I said, 'you want to put your best football team together.’ The question was asked, 'well does he know he’s going to be a backup?’ Sure he knows he’s going to be a backup, but you’re one play away or two plays away from being the starter. You never know what’s going to happen in the National Football League. I’m hoping Robert, for the next 10 years, never misses a game, and we keep our fingers crossed that that happens. I know what Robert has the capabilities of doing, and we’re going to give him the supporting cast where he can go in and get it done. That’s my job, to give him the best players to go out there and obviously execute our game plan, and hopefully he will be able to do that.”

On the decision to release quarterback John Beck:
“I thought I owed it to John. Before the draft was over, we did make the decision to go this way to let John know that you can talk to these teams or his agent know he’s able to talk to anybody as quickly as he can. So if somebody wants John instead of drafting somebody, they’d have the ability to do so without drafting one obviously beforehand.”

On Cousins organizing his own Pro Day routine and being detail-oriented:
“I’ll be honest with you, I didn’t see the Pro Day. I wasn’t at the Pro Day. I had a chance to be around Kirk at the Senior Bowl and get a chance to spend a little time around him, but you know, he’s the type of guy that I was impressed with. I liked the way he handled himself, and that’s why you make a decision on the third day when a guy’s available. You make the best decision for your football team.”

On when it became a possibility that the Redskins would draft two quarterbacks even after Beck was close to being the starter last season:
“It’s disappointing. I talked to John as he came back for our workouts. I talked to him about a number of possibilities. [I told John],'I’ll be very upfront and very honest with you. I can’t tell you exactly what we’re going to do, but if I do make a decision to go a different direction, I’ll call you as soon as I make that decision. Your agent will know, so you can do the best thing for you.’”

On when the decision to move on from Beck began to form and if drafting Cousins was a reflection of drafting the best player available or filling a need:
“I’ll be honest with you. I did talk to Robert [Griffin III] this morning when he was here. I said, 'Hey, there’s a possibility of going in that direction.’ And I said, 'We do need some depth. I’m going to do the best thing for the organization. You know it has no reflection on you,’ because I talked to him in detail about what I thought about him. He knows he’s our franchise guy. He knows he’s our future. I talked to him about me being upfront with him, letting him know what we’re going to do and get it done. He’s pretty good about it. He understood. He does have a lot of confidence. He’s not afraid. I can guarantee that.”

On what he saw in guard Josh LeRibeus:
“We did [like LeRibeus], obviously, or we wouldn’t have drafted him. Here’s a guy that has pretty good size, does have quickness, plays the center or guard position, has the ability to play both, [and is] extremely bright. We’re very happy to get him.”

On how he views safety Jordan Bernstine and cornerback Richard Crawford:
“Crawford is a corner. Bernstine is a safety.”

On Crawford’s ability to play different positions:
“He has the possibility of playing inside in the nickel as well as the outside. Also, punt return. Yeah, we think he has some value. Had the chance to talk to [SMU head coach] June Jones in detail about him. I really liked what I saw and was glad he was available in the seventh round.”

On where he thinks linebacker Keenan Robinson will play for the Redskins:
“He did play inside [in college]. He was an inside linebacker. He [also] has played outside. He is a guy who could play both. We liked his speed. One of the reasons why we drafted him is we had him also at the Senior Bowl. Just a quality young man and we just liked the way he practices and how he handled himself. We think he can fit in well.”

On his analysis of guard Adam Gettis:
“Yeah, he’s got the quickness we look for, kind of like Kory Lichtensteiger. You know, he can play center or the guard position. He’s got speed. You can never have enough depth in that offensive line. That’s why I think it was big for us to get three offensive linemen that we were hoping we were going to get before the draft started. And we weren’t really sure when they were going to go, but we were counting on signing three if we could to add some depth to our offensive line after the injuries last year. And all three guys we got, we targeted, and that doesn’t happen very often. So we are very happy with the depth on the offensive line.”

On tackle Thomas Compton:
“Talking about Compton, the offensive tackle – got great speed, quickness, what we look for in our tackle. [He] did a great job in all his agility drills as well as his 40-yard dash. We think he gives us some flexibility to play both sides.”

On running back Alfred Morris:
“Relative to Morris, just liked his running style. He has the ability to make people miss, has great lateral quickness, can cut on a dime, and now we get a chance to see how he’ll come in and compete with the other backs. As we have proven through the years, a lot of times you’re going to need four or five guys to go through the season. He is a tailback.”

On how the process works of signing additional undrafted free agents:
“Yeah, we’ll have our draft choices, obviously, who will be there, a few guys that we do sign in free agency with the draft choices and a number of tryout guys that we’ll evaluate through the weekend.”

On if coaching the Senior Bowl helped in the evaluation process:
“Yeah, it really helped us a lot. Anytime you’ve got a football team, you get a chance to be around your squad and these players a whole week. That’s a big advantage and also being with the other squad for a day. Getting a chance to sit down and talk, even though you don’t practice or go out and practice with them, you really get a chance to sit with them in a different type of environment and that was special for us.”

Redskins First Round Pick QB Robert Griffin III
Introductory Press Conference

Opening statement:
“I just want to say it feels good to be a part of the Redskins. I take pride in the fact that I’ll be able to have the chance to wear burgundy and gold. Hail to the Redskins. Hail victory. I would sing it for you, but I think I’ll save that for the fans. I’m proud to be here. It’s not a lot of times you get a chance to have this opportunity, so I’ll make the most of it.”

On the pressure and hype surrounding him:
“Yeah, I’ve gotten an impression of that. I went to a signing in Chantilly and saw seven different variations of my name on a shirt so I kind of understand the anticipation, the excitement. And you’re just got to realize it’s about more than just one person. Quarterback always gets all the attention. He also gets all the criticism so it’s not necessarily how you can take the praise and the attention. It’s how you can deal with the type of criticism that you’re going to have to get, so I know this is a business. I have to be a professional, and I plan on doing my job at a high level.”

On what the last few days have been like, especially with the traveling involved:
“Yeah, it’s definitely been crazy. Some call it a whirlwind. A lot of cameras, a lot of people that want to talk to me and ask me questions. Thank you for that. You just got to take it and go with the flow. A lot of people could look at this as a bad side, but it’s all a part of the gig. You don’t dream of these types of situations when you’re a kid. You just think you can play professional sports and be done. There’s a lot more that goes into it. You have to wrap your mind around it, and I think I’m trying to do a good job of that.”

On when he became at ease with his celebrity status:
“Thanks to my parents getting me involved in sports at an early age, I dealt with attention pretty quickly, but it can be difficult. The one thing that people have said is it’s only going to get worse, but if it gets worse, it means I’m doing my job. When you’re successful, people are going to want a part of you. They’re going to want to talk to you and see what’s going through your mind. I plan on being successful. I hope the Redskins, the teammates that I now have, will join me in that battle, and hopefully the spotlight, all the cameras and all the flashes, will get worse for everybody because that means we’re doing what we’re supposed to do, and that’s win football games.”

On how much he knew about the Redskins growing up and how much he knows about the team now:
“Everyone thinks I was a Cowboys fan growing up. I actually wasn’t. I won’t name the team I was a fan of, but you definitely hear about the Redskins, Philadelphia, [and] the Giants all in that same division. I don’t know the history like the back of my hand, but I’ve definitely seen the struggles the team has gone through, especially when it comes to quarterbacks. They drafted me to try to be the solution to that problem, and I plan on being the solution.”

On the fans’ high expectations:
“I think a lot of times the media can take what the fans and the expectations are and just maybe misplace it a little bit. The fans aren’t excited just because I’m coming into town. They’re excited because of the pieces that are already in place with the Washington Redskins, so that’s what I try to tell people. You have a great defense, they’ve added weapons on offense, and they brought me in to be the quarterback, so that’s what all the excitement’s about. It’s not just about me being here. It’s about the team that’s already here with the addition of myself.”

On if he expects to start Week 1 and the difference between play calls in college and in the NFL:
“You try not to expect anything in life or assume anything, so I’ll work toward being the starting quarterback on day one. And then, when it comes to the verbiage, I could give you a long-verbiage play from my college playbook and a long-verbiage play from the Redskins’ playbook, so it’s not necessarily that. It’s just on a consistent basis the verbiage will be long at the next level. I look forward to it. It’s all a learning curve. What you do in the past helps you for the future, so the offense at Baylor prepared me for the offense that I’ll have to go through here with the Redskins, but it’s a totally different offense.”

On if coaches gave him a playbook and what they have told him since he was drafted:
“Yeah, I think it’s pretty legal now to have the playbook so I do have the playbook. I’ll be studying it [and] going out working toward mastering it before the season even though I know that’s probably not possible. I’ll try to get the best hold of it as I can to go out and try to be able to perform. I didn’t hear anything much different, other than [the selection] is official. I’m a Washington Redskin. They’re excited about that, they’re happy to have me as part of the organization, and they’re relying on me. That’s what [Redskins Owner] Dan Snyder told me. They’re relying on me, and I like to be relied on because I feel like I can help in any way possible.”

On how his draft weekend experience compares to meeting President [Barack] Obama:
“Meeting the President was an honor so it’s hard to compare everything from the Heisman to the draft to meeting President Obama, but he’s as advertised - a really cool, down-to-earth person. He talked to me, [and] we’re going to try to set up a basketball game after the season. He told me he wouldn’t play against me, but he would definitely play on my team, so we’ll do that. But every experience is its own, so you have to try to live each moment to the fullest.”

On what he would say to his former Spanish teacher who would told the local media in an interview that he has always been a confident person:
“Yeah, she was my Spanish teacher, but I can’t say what I would want to say to her in Spanish so I’m just going to say it in English. I was a confident kid. By no means was I ever cocky, but I did believe in myself, believed that my parents had a plan for me, and I was going to try to follow through with it. I hope that she’s proud of me. She was my seventh and eighth grade Spanish teacher, and I’m definitely better at football than I am at Spanish.”

On his ability to slide and what he thinks about running the stretch play:
“When it comes to sliding, I’m not the best slider. Not that I don’t want to slide, in baseball I never slid because I felt like I could get to the base fast enough that I didn’t have to. I have been working on that over the past couple of years and have gotten better. I do know when to slide and when to keep running, just in case people were wondering. And then with the keeps – that’s what they call it, they call it the 'keep game’ – I have been in it that both in high school and in college. It’s something that I’m familiar with. I know it’s something everyone’s emphasized that they can really use me in. The coaches told me they’re going to give me a lot of input on what we’ll do on offense. Not that I’ll come in on day one and say, 'Hey, we’re doing this,’ but if I like something then they’ll continue to coach it. If I don’t, they’ll take it out because the job is for all of us to be as successful as we can. I am familiar with the keep game. I do like the keep game, and we’re going to use the keep game.”

On if he has any prior friendships with current Redskins players:
“I’m familiar with players on the roster [but have] no friendships. I do know [Brian] Orakpo. He played at Texas so no friendships there, but we’re cool now because we’re all part of Redskins Nation, so that matters. I am familiar with a lot of the guys. Santana Moss was a guy I watched. I’m not going to mention his age, but he was a guy I watched growing up. I wanted to go to 'The U.’ It will be a pleasure playing with him. Of course, there’s Pierre Garçon and Josh Morgan who just came in, Anthony Armstrong, Brandon Banks, Terrence Austin, [and] Leonard Hankerson. I could go on there for days with the receivers because those are my guys. That’s who I’ve got to throw the ball to. [I know] Roy Helu, the running back, Evan Royster, [and] Tim Hightower if he comes back. I’m familiar with the guys on the team. I want them to know that I am looking them up and thinking about meeting them. Hopefully I can form good relationships with them. I’ve been doing my homework. I know a little bit about just about everybody because those are my teammates now.”

On embracing a leadership role with the Redskins:
“Leadership is something that’s thrown upon you as a quarterback. But as a team, you can be a quarterback and not be the leader of a team, so I want to come in [and] show the team that I’m ready to work and lead by example rather than coming out and being the most vocal guy ever. You do have to take control of the team and let them know that you’re their leader. But at the same time, being a rookie, you can’t come in and just say it. You have to show it, and I plan on doing that.”

On what he must do to bring stability to the quarterback position:
“I try not to take the weight of the past 20 years on my own shoulders. I realize there are other guys on this team that can help us be successful. I don’t have to do everything. All of these guys are very talented – many all-Americans, many all-conference players. Everybody’s on this team for a reason. They want to win, and they’re good at what they do, so I don’t have to do everything by myself. [I need to] just be myself, go out and work hard, learn the offense, continue to do the things that help me be successful as an individual and help build that through the team with the qualities I can help add to a team.”

On the comparison between him and Michael Vick:
“If anyone says you’re comparable to Michael Vick, that’s an honor first of all. But talking to Coach [Mike] Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan, his son, today, they say I’m a throwing quarterback who just happens to be really fast. So that’s what I think is a great comparison. Guys that my dad made me watch growing up, you know even if I didn’t get to see them play were Roger Staubach, I know that’s a bad name around here, but Fran Tarkenton, Kenny Stabler, Randall Cunningham, all those guys and Steve Young. Guys that can move the pocket a little bit, but also took care of what they were supposed to. You don’t want to be one dimensional, and I definitely focused on that in college, and hopefully I can continue to do that in the pros.”

On other role models in his life besides his parents and getting introduced to all-time great Redskins quarterbacks:
“Growing up, I was a 'like Mike’ kid, so I wanted to be like Mike. I wanted to be like Michael Jordan. Basketball was my love. My dad got me involved in basketball at an extremely early age. So that is why if you see me throw the ball and my tongue is out, that’s what Mike did. So I really did buy into that. I wanted to be successful. I took that from the field, from the court, from the track and tried to apply that in the classroom and just be like Mike everywhere. Michael Jordan had a huge influence on me, but no one was bigger than my parents and of course God. They introduced me to Jesus at a young age, and I accepted it, and that’s how I live my life. But definitely outside of my parents and God, it was Michael Jordan. Definitely I haven’t met Doug [Williams], but I talked to him a couple of times [and] talked to Joe Theismann. Would love to meet those guys in person and hear what they have to say about being the quarterback of the Washington Redskins because obviously it’s a unique situation. It’s unlike any other team in the NFL to be the quarterback here. They can give me some pointers, and hopefully we can win some Super Bowls.”

On being able to deal with the pressure of saying 'No’ to certain people:
“I mean, it’s tough to disappoint people. Most times people surround themselves with 'yes men,’ but I’ve surrounded myself with a couple 'no men.’ We are going to have a couple 'no men’ on my side to try and help me out, but I try and do what I can to help people. Everybody is fighting for the same thing. They want to be happy, they want to be successful, but time in life is precious and sometimes people don’t realize that you can’t get it back. Time is money, but we’re not going to mention money. Like I said, time is precious. And I like my time, but I also like to help others.”

On his relationship with fourth-round pick Kirk Cousins:
“I mean, me and Kirk had a long-distance relationship in college because you know I watched him on TV. Besides from that, we were in the same group at the Combine so I got to know him a little bit. He’s a good guy and I look forward to going out there and growing with him. It’ll be fun. He got drafted a little bit later than he would have liked, but I’m just glad to have him on the team with the Washington Redskins.”

On the expectations he has for his teammates:
“I just hope that they know that I’m here to work. It’s not all about show. You can never walk up to a 30-year-old man when you’re 22 and tell him what to do. You have to earn his respect, so I just want them to know that I’m here to work and I’m ready to help this team win. Especially in the NFL, the difference between winning and losing is so small. It’s all about your mindset and how you approach the game, so I try to approach the game with a positive mindset. Knowing that if you trust your preparation, no one can beat you. So we’re going to prepare, whether it’s in the weight room, on the field, in the film room, all those types of things. I’m going to prepare myself to the point that I feel like I can’t be beat, and I expect the same thing out of my teammates.”

Redskins Fourth Round Pick QB Kirk Cousins (No. 102 Overall)

On if he’s surprised that the Redskins chose him, considering the team already drafted Robert Griffin III:
“I think it is a little surprising. I was trying to forecast which teams would be looking at a quarterback, and didn’t see the Redskins thinking along those lines, but Coach [Mike] Shanahan’s words to me were that he couldn’t pass me up. That he was excited to have me.”

On how much contact Kirk Cousins had with the Redskins throughout this process:
“Very little, but at the Senior Bowl I was down there all week with them. They were coaching the South team and I was on the North team. Certainly, they were around and I was able to speak with their offensive coordinator, head coach and quarterbacks coach quite a bit throughout the week. I assumed that it was during that time where they got familiar with me and liked what they saw.”

On the feeling of being drafted behind Robert Griffin III, who is projected to be the starter:
“Well, I think I’m going to take one step at a time and right now my job will be to go into rookie minicamp and pick up on the playbook and work as hard as I can going forward to make the team, and then have an impact on that team. But certainly with Robert Griffin, there’s a lot of hope in him being the future. I’m just excited to be a part of the organization and do whatever I need to do to help that team win football games.”

On how familiar Cousins is with the Redskins drafting Heath Shuler and Gus Frerotte in the same draft year:
“Yes, I’m familiar with that story. I’ve heard Mark Schlereth talk about that story on multiple occasions. Certainly different stories are different stories, and I’m going to take it one step at a time. My job is to go in now, like I said, at rookie minicamp, pick up the playbook and learn first things first. Again, in my career I’m going to work as hard as I can. It’s a lot of things that I can’t control like where I get drafted. I’m just excited to be a part of the NFL, and at the end of the day I believe that God is in control of my future and this is where he wants me at this time.”

On organizing his own Pro Day by himself:
“Yes, I felt like a lot of these teams are looking for leadership and organization and attention to detail. I felt like it’s hard to just explain to them that you have that, you have to demonstrate that. I felt like the opportunity to lead and organize my own Pro Day would be a great way to demonstrate that. I think it was received very well, and with the way it was received I think it may be a common place thing to do going forward.”

On running a pro style offense at the Senior Bowl:
“Well, being at Michigan State, we ran a very much pro style offense and some of the footwork and the handoffs and on the drops were things I had been doing for five years at Michigan State, and I was very familiar with it. I think that having to learn the new terminology was the challenge because you have a different word for the same exact play at Michigan State so you have to learn a new language and certainly with the Redskins the biggest challenge going forward will be mastering the playbook as fast as possible. Both Robert and I will be going through that so I’m sure we can help one another and quiz one another as we try to master that playbook so we can help the Redskins be as good a football team as possible.”

On what he thinks his strengths are:
“I think my strengths are certainly my accuracy, and I think my attention to detail and my leadership, I believe. There are a lot of things that are hard to measure at a Combine, and are hard to measure in the Draft process because you have to get around me for a while to see my value. I think what I bring to the table as a player is the arm talent and the accuracy, but also a strong decision maker and a strong leader.”

On if he got to know Griffin III over the Draft process:
“The first time I met him was at the Combine. That was the last time I saw him, I talked to him briefly. He was in my group of quarterbacks who worked out together and toured around together during the weekend. That was the extent of our interaction.”

On who his agent is:
“Mike McCartney from Priority Sports, based out of Chicago.”

Redskins Fourth Round Pick LB Keenan Robinson (No. 119 Overall)

On his reaction to being drafted by the Redskins:
“I’m so grateful, man. I’m so grateful to be drafted by a great team, great organization and great program. I’m just so happy right now.”

On what coaches told him about the position he will play for the Redskins:
“Coach [Jim] Haslett actually has told me I’m going to play inside linebacker for them.”

On what he thinks about making the switch to inside linebacker:
“Well, I think that’s a great move for me. The Redskins obviously run a 3-4 defense. I played a 3-4 under Will Muschamp for three years at Texas, so I definitely have a good background for the 3-4. While I was training for the Combine, training for everything, I trained for the inside and the outside linebacker so I really didn’t narrow my options, but I made sure that I was prepared for any position that any team wanted me to play.”

On whether he has stayed in touch with former Texas teammate and Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo:
“Yes sir, definitely. You know, I see him all the time, especially in the offseason when he’s training. But he’s one of my good friends and I talk to him a lot. I’m definitely grateful for the chance to play on Brian’s team with such a great leader like him.”

On whether he has heard from Orakpo since being drafted:
“I bet he has texted, but my phone has been off the hook since I got drafted so I just haven’t had a chance to check it yet, but I’m pretty sure he has tried to contact me.”

On what Orakpo has told him about the team:
“Oh, he says he loves it, man. He says he loves D.C. and I’m sure I’ll love it too. He doesn’t get tired in his three or four years out there so far, so I’m sure that I’m going to fit right in.”

On areas where he can improve:
“For me, I just think that training on the inside. I’ve been working on using my hands. You need to get off blocks. Those are the two things I’ve really been focusing on in training. I think those will take me pretty far. I’m already strong, I’m already big, I’m already fast, but those are the little things that I have been focusing on to make sure that I am successful at my position, whether it will be inside or outside.”

On his coverage ability:
“I feel comfortable there, you know. I feel like I’m one of the top coverage linebackers out there. I think my coverage skills will show. I can cover tight ends. I can cover backs. I can do it all, so I’ll be fine in that area. I think that covering guys like [Dallas Cowboys tight end] Jason Witten and things like that will be a great chance, and I think I’ll be ready for it.”

On the possibility of playing special teams for the Redskins:
“Oh yeah, I played special teams all four years. I believe that I’m going to be good. I’m definitely a guy that’s also going to be a team player because I know that’s very important. I think I’ll be fine doing that, and I have no problem playing on special teams.”

On what special teams units he played on at Texas:
“I played all four.”

Redskins Fifth Round Pick G Adam Gettis (No. 141 Overall)

On his excitement and hopes for a professional career:
“I just want to get on the field and show my abilities. I want to be able to play and be a part of a great organization.”

On how much contact the Redskins had with him leading into the draft:
“I got a couple calls from them in and out. They were at the Pro Day and just talking with the coaches I had a good feeling about it.”

On his injury history:
“I had two ankle injuries in 2010 – one at the beginning of the season which caused me to miss two games and one in the middle of the season where I missed another two games.”

On if those were the only two injuries:
“Yeah.”

On if he feels healthy now:
“Oh yeah, I am ready to go.”

On how much experience he has with the zone blocking scheme:
“I fit perfect. That’s what we do at Iowa, so it could be easy transaction.”

On if he knows where the Redskins will use him on the offensive line:
“They haven’t said, but I’ve played right guard and left guard.”

On if he has any experience playing center:
“I was kind of a backup center [in college] and our center never went down, so I was never able to play a game, but in practice I was able to.”

On if teams asked him about playing center or solely guard in the NFL:
“No, it was both, center [and guard].”

On being described as playing with a lot of competitiveness:
“That’s what football is all about. You know, just getting after people, working hard, putting guys on the ground and getting back up and doing it again. That’s what I believe football is all about.”

Redskins Sixth Round Pick RB Alfred Morris (No. 173 Overall)

On what position he’ll be playing with the Redskins:
“They haven’t really told me anything yet, but I’m pretty sure the Redskins are going to use me at both [running back and fullback]. I’m a running back, but I’m not too proud to put my hand in the dirt which I told everybody, which is the truth.”

On his collegiate level success, and how that has prepared him for the NFL:
“I think it’s going to prepare me a lot. A lot of the offenses run spread nowadays, and coming out of the I-formation has helped me with picking up blitzes, getting used to going between the tackles, and just downhill type running which they do in the NFL from what I’ve seen.”

On his skills as a pass protector:
“I actually take pride in it. I always said to myself that everyone can run the ball and catch the ball, but what will set you apart from everyone else? So I started taking pride in my blocking. I take it as a challenge, you know. I blocked a lot of defensive ends in the kind of set that we had. The only thing standing between me and him and the quarterback and a sack is me, and I took pride and I never let anybody touch my quarterback.”

On his special teams experience:
“Yes I do [have experience], but 2008 was my only year doing it. After that, they wouldn’t allow me to do it. But I did kickoff, kick return and punt block.”

On whether he thinks he has an issue with ball security:
“I don’t think so. I never had the luxury of downfield blocking. A lot of times when I did fumble it was on second effort. I was like throwing somebody off me, and I would kind of swing the ball and it would kind of swing off my hip or I might hit it on my leg. But I just don’t think it is a problem. Do I think I can correct it or get better at my security? I definitely can. It’s always room for improvement.”

Redskins Sixth Round Pick OT Tom Compton (No. 193 Overall)

On how he is feeling:
“Hey, I’m doing pretty good right now, really excited.”

On what round he expected to be drafted in:
“I’ve heard anything from fourth, fifth, or sixth [round], so it was getting towards the end of the sixth there and my agent had told me I’d be gone soon and don’t worry too much.”

On if he was worried since it was getting late in the draft:
“You know, I was pretty confident I was going to be drafted. In case I wasn’t, I was ready for anything that was going to happen.”

On what the Redskins said when they called his phone:
“Coach [Mike] Shanahan just called me and said 'We like the way you play. We think you’d be a great fit to our system and we’re looking forward to having you here on our team.’”

On how much experience he has at guard:
“I haven’t really played any at college. I’ve been working on it ever since the season ended because I know that it’s a possibility of that position.”

On the metaphor that he can squat a small house:
“Yeah, that’s a funny way to put it. I did 700 [pounds] like a winter ago, so I guess that qualifies as a three-bedroom [house].”

On if he feels more comfortable on the left or right side of the line:
“I actually played two years at right [tackle], two years at left. I am comfortable on either side. It’s one of those things that it doesn’t really matter to me. I was hoping that it would add some value to me because I am pretty versatile throughout the line.”

On how familiar he is with the zone blocking scheme:
“Yeah, at South Dakota we ran quite a bit of different stuff. We ran a lot of zone and we mixed in quite a bit, so I am pretty familiar with it. The style of athlete I guess I’ve been described as kind of fits that scheme.”

Redskins Seventh Round Pick DB Richard Crawford (No. 213 Overall)

On how it felt to receive a phone call from the Redskins:
“I’m really happy. One of the best phone calls of my life.”

On his expectations going into the draft:
I was thinking where I ended up, around seventh round, [or] free agency. I knew the Redskins were really interested in me. It’s not really surprising that they picked me up because I kind of had a feeling they would in the seventh round or free agency.”

On how he knew the Redskins were interested in him:
“I went on a visit there like two weeks ago.”

On how the visit with the Redskins went:
“I felt real good about the coaching staff. I have a good understanding of what they’re doing because I felt like we ran the same defense here [at SMU]. I think I fit in well with Washington.”

On if he was used as a cornerback or safety in college:
“At corner.”

On if he is comfortable playing in the slot:
“Yeah, actually I am. I grew up playing safety. I didn’t start playing corner until I got to college, so I’m used to playing inside.”

On if he thinks current Redskin Aldrick Robinson put in a good word for him:
“Yeah, of course, I think he did.”

On being the third SMU player drafted by the Redskins in the past two years:
“Just Coach [June] Jones is kind of beaming into our minds that we can play at the next level. Doing everything that Coach [Mike] Shanahan wants us to do and we’ll be fine.”

On if fellow rookie Josh LeRibeus actually lost 70 pounds:
“Yeah, 'X-Box’ lost that much weight. We called him 'X-Box 360’ because he used to be 360 [pounds].”

Redskins Seventh Round Pick DB Jordan Bernstine (No. 217 Overall)

On what position the Redskins want him to play:
“I believe Safety, but I’m willing to do whatever.”

On which safety position he is most comfortable with:
“I can play strong or free.”

On which safety position he has played more:
“Strong safety.”

On what the Redskins said they like most about him:
“They like that I have size and athletic ability to go with it, and that I like to hit people.”

On what he does well and what he needs to improve on:
“As far as my game, the biggest part of it is that I’m athletic and I like to put my face in there, which is why I felt I was a good fit at Iowa at strong safety. I mean, I like to hit. I like to come down and be a factor in the run game, but I can also go out and cover tight ends or slot receivers. Things to work on are just getting more reps at safety. I only played one season at strong safety. Before that, I played corner. So just make sure I’m taking the proper angles. I think experience will help [with] that.”

On what his forty-time was:
“I believe they had it officially like 4.42.”

On what year he played safety:
“Just 2011.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.