• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Select Josh LeRibeus in 3rd Round

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
April 27, 2012

REDSKINS SELECT JOSH LeRIBEUS IN THIRD ROUND

ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins selected guard Josh LeRibeus (luh-REE-bus) in the third round (No. 71 overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft. The Redskins acquired the 71st and 217th selections from the Buffalo Bills in exchange for the 69th overall choice.

LeRibeus (6-2, 311) played in 36 games with 28 starts in three seasons at Southern Methodist, where he blocked for 2011 Conference USA leading rusher Zach Line (1,224 rushing yards).

Last season, LeRibeus, 22, started all 13 games at left guard. He was a member of a Mustangs offense that averaged 274.8 passing yards per game (third in C-USA).
As a sophomore in 2009, LeRibeus started all 13 games at left guard and was named an honorable mention All-C-USA selection by the league's coaches. He blocked for an offense that set single-season school records in total offense (5,093), passing yards (3,666) and points (380). He helped lead the Mustangs to their first bowl appearance since 1984, defeating Nevada, 45-10, in the 2009 Hawaii Bowl.
In 2008, following a redshirt year, LeRibeus played in 10 games with two starts, blocking for an offense that passed for a school-record-tying 29 touchdowns.
LeRibeus was born on July 2, 1989 and attended Berkner H.S. in Richardson, Texas, where he was named an All-Area selection by The Dallas Morning News.

NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF JOSH LERIBEUS

• LeRibeus is the fourth pick selected all-time by the Redskins at No.71 overall, joining end Art Porter (1945), guard Gene Pepper (1950) and linebacker Rick Hamilton (1993).

• LeRibeus is the 417th selection made by the Redskins in the Common Draft era (since 1967) and the 19th third-round selection in that time frame. He is the 58th third-round selection by the Redskins all-time since the institution of the draft in 1936.

• LeRibeus’ selection is the highest the team has selected a guard since selecting Tré Johnson with the No. 31 overall pick in 1994. Before Johnson’s selection, the last time the Redskins had taken a guard that high was in 1981, when the Redskins drafted future Pro Football Hall of Famer Russ Grimm with the No. 69 overall pick.

• Including the Redskins’ selection of QB Robert Griffin III with the No. 2 overall pick, 2012 marks the first time the Redskins have selected a quarterback and an offensive lineman with the first two picks since selecting QB Heath Shuler and Johnson with the team’s first two selections of the 1994 NFL Draft.

• LeRibeus is the sixth SMU product to be drafted by the Redskins. The following is a list of SMU players selected by the Redskins in team history:

DRAFT ROUND OVERALL PLAYER
1945 21 216 T Sid Halliday
1945 23 236 E Gabby Martin
1952 4 43 C Dick Hightower
1952 27 319 E Ben White
2011 6 178 WR Aldrick Robinson
2012 3 71 G Josh LeRibeus

• Including receiver Aldrick Robinson’s selection in 2011, LeRibeus’ selection marks the first time the Redskins have drafted SMU products in consecutive years. However, the Redskins have picked two SMU players and a single draft on two occasions (1945 and 1952).

• LeRibeus is the second SMU player drafted by a team coached by Mike Shanahan, joining Robinson (2011).

• LeRibeus is the highest-drafted SMU player by any NFL team since the Chicago Bears selected WR Ron Morris with the No. 54 overall pick of the 1987 draft.

• LeRibeus is the fifth Conference USA player selected by a Shanahan-coached team, joining WR Chad Plummer (1999 NFL Draft, University of Cincinnati), WR Adrian Madise (2003, TCU), WR Brandon Marshall (2006, Central Florida) and Robinson.

Quotes

On how it feels to get drafted by the Washington Redskins:
“It feels amazing.”

On his background:
“Lived in Texas all my life, moved to Richardson [Texas] in 2000 and been kind of a local boy from there.”

On communication with the Redskins prior to the draft:
“I hadn’t had a lot of communication since the Combine, but hey, it is definitely a welcomed surprise.”

On if he had any indication of what round he would be drafted:
“Third or fourth, anywhere in there is what I was thinking.”

On if he is more comfortable lining up on the left or right side:
“Nah, to be honest, it doesn’t matter. Left I’m used to, but I played right at the Shrine Game. So I am equally comfortable.”

On what kind of blocking scheme he played in college:
“Man, it was more of a man-blocking scheme. More of a two-point, two-point all the time actually.”

On his thoughts of the zone blocking scheme:
“Oh, I love it. We did a lot of it in the Shrine game. Definitely feels more at home.”

On why the zone blocking scheme feels comfortable:
“The three-point stance is just exploding off of the ball. [It’s] definitely something I feel more comfortable with.”

On not playing during the 2010 season:
“I did not play. Academically ineligible. I was an economics major and I wasn’t a big fan. They ended up switching me over to sociology. But I had only taken one class in sociology so they shouldn’t have let me do it. From there, having only three hours towards my major was kind of a no-no and they ended up pulling that year from me.”

On how he describes himself as a player:
“Very quick and playing with a lot of strength and very aggressive. And definitely not one to finish a play early.”

On his experience playing center:
“I’ve taken snaps with everyone who has worked me out so it is something I am definitely more comfortable with now.”

On losing 70 pounds two years ago:
“That’s correct. I lost a toddler off of the side of my belly. “

On what kind of diet affected the weight loss:
“I ended up moving away from home so I got away from mom’s cooking. That helped a lot. But [if I had] a bit of a tight budget so I bought chicken from the Tom Thoms and kind of kept a light diet.”

On if he has played tackle before:
“Just inside.”

On if he is a Cowboys fan:
“No. Definitely not. I’m one of those, 'you either hate them or you love them’ and I’m definitely one that hates them, so don’t worry.”

On when he was first contacted by the Redskins:
“I met them at the Combine at one of the formal interviews. Outside of that, I haven’t had a whole lot of communication.”

On the nature of the conversations between him and Mike Shanahan:
“It was really relaxed. Great guy. It was great to get to know him a little more.”

On how he felt when he saw the Redskins’ phone number:
“To be honest, I wasn’t shocked by anybody. I was just looking forward to a call.”

Last edited:
The first 2 links are interviews from Josh before he was drafted, one is from the SMU Pro Day and the second is from a school publication during his academic suspension.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i-wGoy3Veo&feature=player_embedded[/media]

http://smu.scout.com/2/1010011.html

The bottom link is from an interview that is on Redskins.com after he was drafted.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/LeRibeus-Gives-Redskins-O-Line-Depth/2165576b-f967-4748-a1d3-83914a6bb090?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This kid seems pretty sharp.

• LeRibeus is the 417th selection made by the Redskins in the Common Draft era (since 1967) and the 19th third-round selection in that time frame.

Sad. 19th 3rd round pick in 45 years. That just blows my mind.

On if he is a Cowboys fan:
“No. Definitely not. I’m one of those, 'you either hate them or you love them’ and I’m definitely one that hates them, so don’t worry.”
I like him already. :)

I like him already. :)

In one of the interviews he says he was a Cowboys' fan until the age of 10, but to spite his mother he went with the Texans when they came into the league and rubbed it in her face when the Texans beat the Cowboys their 1st time playing each other.

I tell you I feel old, this kid started cheering for the Texans when he was 10. :laugh:

That includes all the Allen and Pardee years where the team traded most of the picks away.

On the positive side, Beathard got Russ Grimm, Charles Mann and Alvin Walton in Round 3 in the 1980's :D

In one of the interviews he says he was a Cowboys' fan until the age of 10, but to spite his mother he went with the Texans when they came into the league and rubbed it in her face when the Texans beat the Cowboys their 1st time playing each other.

I tell you I feel old, this kid started cheering for the Texans when he was 10. :laugh:

spite his mother? say what?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.