• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Yesterday's action justified the price

burgold

The Pro Bowler
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Not because we got RGIII, not because he wore the socks, or sang Hail to the Redskins, and not even because we finally have a prospect who could reasonably become an elite qb.

Yesterday justified the trade price because of just how many darn trades there were in the draft and how fluid this draft was. Cleveland trading up from 4 to 3 to get the guy they would have gotten at 4? It seemed like almost every time was involved in some kind of trade and they were waving around draft picks like candy.

Teams were eager to move up and down. I do think the Rams misplayed their hand, but again, that's because they didn't forsee a team hopping over them to get their wide receiver. It was trader's paradice which brings us to the Redskins.

Yesterday's actions proved Bruce Allen correct. If they wanted their guy the price was going to be steep and it was better to pay it weeks ago then in the crazy auction house that yesterday's draft provided. Did they overpay? Only results on the field will determine that. If RGIII becomes a ring barer the price is cheap. If he is only good or busts then we were robbed.

Regardless, what we did wasn't a Snyder-Cerrato style fleecing and overreaching move. Yesterday's trading proved it. The price and the timing of the trade were both correct. In other words...

Hail to the Redskins.

Agreed, the trade was never about the price, it was about the value. Making the deal last night would have been even pricier, so kudos to Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan, for this and all the other work they have done to reinvigorate our Vinfected franchise.

I dunno. I think we all want to feel good about the move, but it's really simple. If Griffin becomes a Franchise QB it was worth it. If he doesn't 'the RG3 trade' will have the same meaning as 'the Herschel Walker trade' or 'the Ricky Williams trade' and we will join the Vikings and Saints in the books as one of those teams that fell victim to one of the most lopsided trades in NFL history.

So let's just hope the kid doesn't suck.

Yeah, I have to disagree here. It certainly didn't justify the price. Others moved up last night.....but for a reasonable price.

If anything, it made it appear like we really gave up a ton to move up.

Well, we gave up a ton to move up early and guarantee our spot. For a guy like Griffin I understand WHY. He just has to pan out now. :)

Yeah, moving up to two, for a consensus franchise QB demands a higher price than say, moving up from 14 to six for "Garçon's Bitch"

Nobody else was moving up for a possible franchise QB, McD5. What is available makes a big difference in the price.

Sure, we could have waited and played draft day roulette under a ticking clock. Sure, we could have potentially spent less and still landed Griffin. Or, we could have just as likely missed out on him.

For my money, waiting would have been 'penny wise and pound foolish'.

There is also something to be said for committing early to a your guy. Despite all the (relatively) last second drama, most people knew who we would end up with. We told him three weeks ago we want him, and are looking at him as a franchise QB. It should give him confidence as well.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

If Griffin becomes a Franchise QB it was worth it.

So let's just hope the kid doesn't suck.

I do not think that RG3 is going to suck. I think he will automatically give us three wins, this upcoming season alone, if we perform at every other position just as we did last year and he simply does what he's done so far.

I have more confidence today than I did when we first made the trade, I don't know...maybe the joy everybody else has exhibited is wearing on me. I still have my doubts, but I am confident he will be the face of the franchise for at least 5 years.

But, franchise QB is not why we gave up all that we did for him. This kid needs to win division titles and at least one Super Bowl or it will not have been worth it. We need more than a frnachise QB for what we paid, we need Lombardi Trophies.

Am I setting the bar too high for the kid? You better believe I am setting it high, but that is exactly what we paid for. This was an all in play, all in means Super Bowl!

Keep in mind also that the Browns were offering a similar package. We HAD to pay that price - its what the market dictated. When Jacksonville jumped in front of St. Louis to take Blackmon, they had 15 minutes to work out a deal.

Which is exactly why the Rams did what they did rather than wait till yesterday to deal the pick. It maxed the value for them.

Nobody else was moving up for a possible franchise QB, McD5. What is available makes a big difference in the price.

Neo, I am glad we moved up, and I'm fine with the price.

I just don't think yesterday justified the price we paid, or told us anything at all....except that lots of teams traded up.

We won't know if the price was justified or not until we see how he pans out.

Talk and conjecture don't really mean a thing. It is what happens on the field. Don't expect too much too soon. Elway, Payton Manning and Troy Aikman all had a rough couple of years. I may be seeing things through green and gold tinted glasses, but I believe Griffin will prove himself fairly quickly.

HTTR!

I can see why some think yesterday suggests we overpaid, but let me throw out two thoughts.

One) This draft had two super elite team changing players. Luck and Griffin. Those players at that position are always highly valued.

Two) The liquidity of the draft's first round showed that many, many teams were happy and willing to move and to dance with many partners. In that kind of gunslinging auction the liklihood of getting our guy diminishes and the excitement of the bidders increases.

Could we have possibly gotten him for less? I don't know and I agree that we payed a steep premium, but I think the first round showed that if we wanted him then what we did and when we did it was a propper strategy.

Now, whether the player himself is worth the price. Ultimately, only time will tell. For the amount we paid he needs to deliver Superbowls. Anything less is a bust. Not a Superbowl this year, but within his career.

Still, I say the liquidity of the first day justifies our draft strategy and the price.

franchise qb at least one superbowl within 3 years, anything less is a bust. and no, the moves today, if anything showed how much we overpaid. BUT if he delivers, then overpaying doesnt hurt so much.

Ry, this may be the dumbest thing you have ever typed. Come on, man. You're telling me if RGIII isn't in the SB in the three years, but then rips off three in a row, he would still be considered a bust? I realize these sorts of standards are completely subjective and subject to all sorts of baggage that each individual carries when making those standards, but you are getting awfully close to the absurd here.

franchise qb at least one superbowl within 3 years, anything less is a bust. and no, the moves today, if anything showed how much we overpaid. BUT if he delivers, then overpaying doesnt hurt so much.

I don't know about 3 years but he does have to deliver at least 1 at some point, yes.

As for today proving we overpaid, I call BS. The Rams took a week to auction off a pick early on so that some team could draft a potential franchise QB. We aren't just talking about the most important position on a football but the single most influential position in all of team sport. To be a great team, year in and year out, you have to have one. Period.

Not only that, there was a market for that pick precisely because Griffin is a potential franchise QB. Cleveland, at the very least, was willing to go as far as we did to get him and a couple of other teams made offers.

All these other trades happened under a 15 minute time limit with teams scrambling, trying to figure out if their guy was going to be there or not and no one was trying to trade a pick that would net some desperate team a possible franchise QB. Nor were any of these guys trying to move up to #2.

And to finish this off, if he delivers, it not only doesn't hurt, it was worth it and more.

All these other trades happened under a 15 minute time limit with teams scrambling, trying to figure out if their guy was going to be there or not and no one was trying to trade a pick that would net some desperate team a possible franchise QB. Nor were any of these guys trying to move up to #2.

Well, this part is probably not entirely true... most of the trades were probably tentatively worked out days ago... then again, in the heat of battle anything can change and a handshake is not good enough, so someone who thought he had a deal probably could and often does get snookered.

Elephant said:
But, franchise QB is not why we gave up all that we did for him. This kid needs to win division titles and at least one Super Bowl or it will not have been worth it. We need more than a frnachise QB for what we paid, we need Lombardi Trophies.

El, the 'franchise QB' part is on Griffin. Winning divisions and superbowls in on the coach, and the GM, and owner. This is still a team sport. If Griffin becomes a top 5 QB (or even a top 10 QB) for the next decade, he's giving us our shot at greatness. At that point it's up to the team to take it.

Besides, how many teams can you think of that have a Franchise QB that DON'T win division titles and at least contend for the Superbowl?

By that standard Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers are all busts, and Drew Brees was a bust of a pickup for the Saints.

I know you really hate the trade but at this point it sure looks like you are looking for an excuse to be ticked off.

If we win the superbowl in 2016 feel free to be mad. I'll be thrilled we got the guy.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.