Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Default Name the last day that was this exciting for DC sports fans

On this day, April 26th 2012, DC area sports fans are currently celebrating:
    - The capitals winning in OT against the defending stanley cup champions as a 7th seed in a year in which the coach was fired early on and many thought it was time to blow up the team. in addition to that our starting goalie is a guy who's played 17 games as a goalie in the NHL because our first two are out with injuries.
    - The nationals are off to an amazing start. Even the biggest nats homers are completely surprised about their start
    - The redskins are drafting their franchise QB - something we haven't had in a very, very long time.

I'm young. My memory of DC sports goes back to about, oh say, 1995. Aside from Redskins Superbowls, what was the last single day where DC sports fans had this many reasons to just flat out be happy about their local area sports teams?

I can't think of a single one...

ps. you can throw in the wizards playing competitively and winning 5 straight if you want, but i'm a little skeptical of late april wins in basket ball by teams that were out of it months ago.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Gibbs return tops today. May not feel that way in retrospect. But at the time, I don't think there was a more exciting non-game Redskins moment.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Gibbs return tops today. May not feel that way in retrospect. But at the time, I don't think there was a more exciting non-game Redskins moment.
    I admit, a tear rolled down my cheek that morning when I confirmed the news.

But there is a buzz in DC I have not experienced in a while. I think I will head down to DC tomorrow to take some pictures!
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

1999 was a pretty good year; Caps made it to the Stanley Cup, and then the Redskins won the NFC East. Nothing compared to this though. Boone, Gibbs returning was great for the Redskins, but nothing was going on cross-sports wise. Caps were just beginning to find themselves - actually Gibbs first year back may have been the strike year? Nats & Orioles were terrible.
    0 0 0 0