A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Default Racially Charged Beating Of Alabama Man Not Being Pursued As Hate Crime

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/24...witness-claim/

Stories like this are really starting to drive me insane. Too often, you hear of cases similar (although not as severe) that are NEVER charged as hate crimes, almost like the justice system views a black on white hate crime as an impossibility. Then when a white person commits a crime of any type at all and the victim is black, it is almost immediately filed as a hate crime.

I'm a believer that any violent crime against any person on another person, regardless of race, is a hate crime. But the fact whites seem to always be charged with the hate crime that carries a higher penalty, I don't recall if a minority of any race has ever been charged with a hate crime. If this case doesn't fit the bill, nothing ever could.

Then again, this happened in Alabama. I can honestly say the attacker couldn't possibly have picked a worse state to do this in. Alabama is full of vigilantes in situations like this.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    I'm a believer that any violent crime against any person on another person, regardless of race, is a hate crime.
    This is the key to me.

This country needs to wake up. There was once upon a time a reason to have the 'Hate Crime' tag added to charges; because there was at one point a time where people were regularly targeted because of the color of their skin.

But we've come a long way since then as a society. I'm not suggesting racism is gone, or that people aren't targeted solely because of their skin color, that stuff unfortunately still goes on today. But it's at a much lower rate, and less of a systemic problem and more of an issue with some people not catching up with the rest of the country.

The more and more we continue to enforce things like this, the more and more we just encourage the continuation of racism. The double standards need to stop. Skin color should matter no longer in anything - college applications, employment, criminal prosecutions, etc.

We (as a society) love to bitch about how some people are treated differently due to physical traits that are out of our control yet we continue to support legislation that does just that.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Well put. Bob Marley had it right though......until the color of man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes, every day is war.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

User Tag List