• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Rumor: Kicker Neil Rackers Is Visiting With The Skins

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Rackers has been one of the best in the league for many years. FF owners have especially loved him, because of his ability to be accurate beyond 50 yards.

It looks like Gano has some competition.

It's true - posted it in the Kehl thread.

Gano will be fine. He is going to be our kicker for many years to come. He is starting to become a franchise kicker - that is why we have the exclusive tag on him.

It's true - posted it in the Kehl thread.

Gano will be fine. He is going to be our kicker for many years to come. He is starting to become a franchise kicker - that is why we have the exclusive tag on him.

Sorry, I didn't see your post. This is probably worthy of it's own thread, just because of how great Rackers has been.

I'm a huge Gano supporter, but I'm interested why you think he could beat Rackers. Just because of the tag? Rackers is elite.

He IS almost 36 years old though. That being said, hes gotten better over time - made almost 87% (59 of 68, 7 of 9 past 50) of his kicks the past 2 seasons!

Gano has hit on 72% of his over the same stretch (55 of 76, 4 of 9 past 50).

That's a big difference. The question is, will Gano ever grow into someone resembling Rackers? He's just 25 years old. Worth noting that Rackers had pretty similar #'s to Gano his first 5-7 years.

I'm a big fan of both players Boone.

He may be 35/36 years old, but that hasn't slowed him one bit. Look how many kicks past 50 he made last year.

This is a top 3 kicker in the entire league, and maybe top two.

Interesting conundrum. Kicker is one position that can play into their 40's if need be, so 36 isn't nearly as dire as other positions. Having said that, locking up Gano at 25 if he can develop into a stud kicker for the next ten+ years is enticing.

Not sure there's a bad choice here, really.

I'm a big fan of both players Boone.

He may be 35/36 years old, but that hasn't slowed him one bit. Look how many kicks past 50 he made last year.

This is a top 3 kicker in the entire league, and maybe top two.

I have a feeling Gano is going to be good - but it's just a feeling. On the other hand, those 3 additional 50+ yarders Rackers kicked could very well equal 3 additional wins. When you look at it that context, hard to ignore.

Take away the ridiculous blocking last year and Gano is 36-41, not 31-41. Just saying.

Goal, I believe you hit it on the head.

I feel confident saying with certainty, that if they compete, there is now way that Gano is going to beat him. And I really, really like Gano.

They will have to decide if Gano's youth is the trump card, or if they prefer the vet.

I can't even believe he is available. I've wanted this guy on our team for seven or eight years now. We had a chance to get him five years ago...but of course, we had Vinny back then. We didn't even work him out.

Last edited:
Does it matter WHO the kicker is, if we retain Danny Smith as ST coach? I don't think so.

Also, I vote for Gano - I'm tired of seeing this team give up on kickers too early. Shazzam and Novak are both having very successful careers elsewhere (maybe Shazzam not so much...), and both could have been Redskins for life.

Word on Twitter is that the Redskins signed Rackers to a 1 year contract today.

Wow. I'm not sure how to feel about that. I'm not the least bit surprised though. He's one of the best in the league.

Always good to have an extra leg in camp, especially one that will push Gano.

BTW, Happy Birthday Boone! Took me a while to count all those fingers and toes but if I counted correctly, this is a BIG ONE! ;)

Thanks Jimbo. Yeah - it's a big one alright :)

Thanks Jimbo. Yeah - it's a big one alright :)
Eh, don't sweat it, kid. ;)

As for kicker, I've cut Gano several times. Fired Danny Smith too.

Sumbitches won't leave.

I want a guy who is automatic from 40-45 in. Gano isn't automatic from anywhere.

Take away the ridiculous blocking last year and Gano is 36-41, not 31-41. Just saying.

I'm glad someone pointed this out.

I think Gano was pretty good last year. The kicking game in general ... not so much. Not sure that would change by changing kickers.

Missing an easy game winner against the Cowboys is as close to unforgivable as it gets for me.

But if we keep, Goh-no!, it's not like I'll switch teams or anything. Scoring more touchdowns will negate his inopportune moments of suckage.
(Blocking ain't got nothing to do with kicking off out of bounds at terrible moments)

He's dead to me.

Game-winners.
Several of them.
In big games.
Against division rivals.
Especially the Cowpies.

That is his only hope of getting off my **** list.

A 52-yarder is an easy one?

Mixed feelings on Gano. LOTS of potential, there is no doubt. But the pucker-factor any time he lines for a potential game-winner is still way too high for comfort. If he can beat out Rackers in camp and preseason, so be it, I'll just live with the threat of future Depends for another season.

If he doesn't, and we head into the season with a guy with Rackers' track record, I can think of worse things. Hell, we won a Super Bowl with Ali Haji-Shiek fer chrissakes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.