• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Rumor: Kicker Neil Rackers Is Visiting With The Skins

i remember getting yelled at in the stands for booing gano for kicking the ball out of bounds after a score to bring us close to tying the game early in the 4th.

that was the second time he kicked the ball out of bounds that game.

i'm not going to deny he may have long term potential, but the guy is frustrating to watch and there are certainly more than just a handful of losses that could have been wins if we had a better kicker.

going forward, at a time where our new regime is under attack from everyone in the area about winning more than 5-6 games a year, and bringing in a rookie QB that could be slaughtered by the local media and fan base if things don't turn around, i think it's wise to bring in a guy that will help win 2-3 games a year on his own to replace a guy that easily costs us 2-3 games a year.

Mixed feelings on Gano. LOTS of potential, there is no doubt. But the pucker-factor any time he lines for a potential game-winner is still way too high for comfort. If he can beat out Rackers in camp and preseason, so be it, I'll just live with the threat of future Depends for another season.

If he doesn't, and we head into the season with a guy with Rackers' track record, I can think of worse things. Hell, we won a Super Bowl with Ali Haji-Shiek fer chrissakes.

Interesting splits on Gano.

According to NFL.com he was 9-10 in the fourth quarter last year, by far his best quarter. He didn't make any attempts in the last two minutes of either half. That 52-yarder he missed in overtime was the only potential 'game-winner' he attempted all season long.

His kicking percentage was higher in close games (77.3) than blowouts (71.4). He was better when we were behind (78.3) or tied (72.7) than when we were ahead (71.4).

I don't know. I just didn't get that sense of impending doom when he lined up the way I had about previous kickers. I think he was pretty good. Now blocked kicks are definitely a problem. His 5 blocked kicks were far and away the most. Akers had 3 and noone else in the league had more than 2. That, in my opinion, is a bigger problem than the kicker himself.

All that said, Rackers is a great kicker and if we go with him that's fine too. I just don't see where Gano was all that bad. Shrug.

Rackers is a career 80 percent kicker with range. He and Rocca will give the Redskins the first legitimate kicking tandem in a generation.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I get that BD, I really do but Gano looks to be on the verge of putting it all together which could make him the kicker here for the next 15 years or more. What's Rackers got, another 5 maybe?

I have to say my opinion is colored by the bad taste in my mouth over letting Ackers go low those many years ago only to have him go to Philly and light the place up for a decade. I don't want to see Gano do that.

That's fair, Henry. Those splits actually surprise me....wish I could have told my gastronomy about them every time Graham lined up for one of those 10 kicks last year. :cool:

For the record, I would LOVE to have the guy turn out to be the real deal and solidify the FGK on this team for the next 10 years. It's been a long time since that revolving door stopped for long enough to exhale around here. Hell, Chip Lohmiller looks like THIS now.

Attachments

• Chipster.png
    Chipster.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 74
With RGIII on board and heavy investments in OLB and DL on defense the Redskins need to solidify the ST.

I am comfortable with an approach of signing veterans to do the kicking and punting just because of the inconsistencies we see in younger players who end up failing the majority of the time in the NFL.

If we can get 3-4 years of excellent work out of Rackers I will take that over Gano.

As RGIII improves and the supporting cast develops and improves we need to start winning those 20-17 games against Dallas instead of losing them over missed kicks.

With RGIII on board and heavy investments in OLB and DL on defense the Redskins need to solidify the ST.

I am comfortable with an approach of signing veterans to do the kicking and punting just because of the inconsistencies we see in younger players who end up failing the majority of the time in the NFL.

If we can get 3-4 years of excellent work out of Rackers I will take that over Gano.

As RGIII improves and the supporting cast develops and improves we need to start winning those 20-17 games against Dallas instead of losing them over missed kicks.

And just think, with RGIII holding, we can run the Swinging Gate all the time!

All kidding aside, it's time for Gano to **** or get off the pot. Taking into account the crappy interor line blocking that casued some blocks, here's what he looked like last year

<20
0/0

20-29
14/14 (Removed the 23 yard blocked FG)

30-39
5/6 (Removed 3 blocks)

40-49
8/11 (Kept the 49 yard block because it was Gano's fault)

50+
4/6

That's 1 miss inside 40.

That's 31/37 total or ~84%.

I'd like to see him finally make the leap to solid, dependable kicker, not a kicker that makes you wear Depends every time the game is on the line. It looks like with the signing of Rackers, the Skins are going to see whether or not this happens.

Well at least for the first time in memory there is legitimate competition for the spot.

Gano was all but given the job in 2010 and the competition never materialized in 2011 with Graham.

i can't believe rackers is in a place in his career where he has to take a role of providing competition for another team in training camp?

i would think he has a legit shot at taking the job if he's coming here...

I agree. I think Rackers will win the job. But if for some reason Gano outplays him at least that shows he came through a trial by fire instead of being granted a spot from Day 1 of camp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.