• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

[ESPN Insider] Mel's latest draft

tshile

[ESPN Insider] Mel and Todd's latest mock drafts

Stolen from another board:
When I do mock drafts, I'm not simply giving my opinion on where players will go. In fact, I disagree with some of the picks I'm putting down. But the mocks are based on a combination of where players are being valued across the league, how I feel those players are valued by individual teams, what the top needs for each team are, whether they value need over the best player available and so on. It's not an editorial. For this, I was asked, "What would you do if you were picking?" So I gave it a shot. I've listed what I see as the top needs for each team, and I've gone ahead and made the picks that fill needs based on where I have players ranked. A few ground rules:

1. At each spot, I'm making the pick best for that team at that spot. I won't pass on an ideal pick for the Bills at No. 10 just because that player would be a great fit at No. 11.
2. There are no duplicates anywhere.
3. I will suggest good spots to trade down, but I won't rearrange the board.
4. This is for fun! One pick can derail a whole draft, so in no way do I think this is how it might look.

With that in mind, let's go through it. I'll discuss motives for each team in the analysis.

Redskins Specifically:
Washington Redskins

Top needs: QB, S, RT, ILB, CB, G/C

Rd. 1 (2) QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor
Rd. 3 (69) OT Zebrie Sanders, Florida State

Analysis: Enjoy this first-round pick, Redskins fans, because it'll be the last one for a while. RG3 has shown he's no reach, however, and given the additions to the wide-receiving corps, he has a pretty good shot to get off to a good start as a rookie. That said, Washington surely can't buy into the idea that one adequate offensive lineman (Trent Williams) will be enough just because RG3 can run. This is a kid who wants to pass, show off his patience, see deep routes develop and show off that arm. Bringing in Sanders to start out on the right side will help buy a little more time. Sanders isn't incredible value at No. 69, but he's right about there, and need supersedes the value here if I'm making the pick.

AFC:
AFC East
Buffalo Bills

Top needs: LT, WR, OLB, CB, QB

Rd 1 (10) WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
Rd 2 (41) OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford
Rd 3 (71) LB Mychal Kendricks, California

Analysis: Not in order, but I've hit my top three needs if I'm Buffalo. There are front offices that have Floyd as the top wide receiver in the draft, so getting him at No. 10 is pretty fair, given I've had him at about that spot on my Big Board. Floyd is a big target who will pick up the route tree quickly and give Ryan Fitzpatrick a much-needed new option. Martin is a guy who once carried a solid first-round grade and could be a total steal at No. 41. Kendricks has immense physical talent and could be plugged in immediately, something the team did with Kelvin Sheppard last year.

Miami Dolphins

Top needs: QB, WR, DE, T/G, S, OLB

Rd 1 (8) QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M (only if they can't trade down)
Rd 2 (42) WR Kendall Wright, Baylor
Rd 3 (72) G James Brown, Troy
Rd 3 (73) CB Brandon Boykin, Georgia

Analysis: Now, I know I've been down on Tannehill. He has immense upside, but I think the hysteria about Miami actually trading up to get him is a little ridiculous. I can't reflect trades down, but what I'd like to see is Miami move down and actually dare some teams behind them to take Tannehill. I'd feel a lot better about the pick further down the board. Still, this is a pick I can talk myself into, because in terms of situation, I can't see a better one. Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman knows Tannehill and head coach Joe Philbin knows how to develop QBs, so they should have a good program in place to make this work. This pick won't bother me -- if they moved up five spots? Different story. Wright is a total steal here, as he could be gone in the 20s. He can develop into the No. 1 target Miami now lacks with the departure of Brandon Marshall. Brown can step in on the O-line, which should be a strength for Miami, and Boykin can play early after a career dealing well with elite competition in the SEC.

New England Patriots

Top needs: DE, OLB, S, WR, CB, DL, G/C

Rd 1 (27) OLB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
Rd 1 (31) CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama
Rd 2 (48) CB Josh Robinson, Central Florida
Rd 2 (62) G Brandon Brooks, Miami (OH)
Rd 3 (93) WR Chris Givens, Wake Forest

Analysis: This is a team that needed to make big strides with personnel on defense, and in Upshaw the Patriots get a talented, smart pass-rusher who could be scheme-versatile on the edge. And he can get to the quarterback. Jenkins is the shot to get extraordinary value with a little risk involved. (The Patriots did the same with Rob Gronkowski, with a different set of risks.) On a talent basis, this is an elite player. Get him in a team environment and he could thrive. Robinson is an absolute flyer (literally one of the fastest two or three players in the draft) at corner and has star potential if he cleans up his technique; he's also good insurance on Jenkins, and we've seen the Patriots double up recently with running backs and tight ends. Brooks is insurance on the offensive line, and Givens adds depth at wide receiver, something they really need.

New York Jets

Top needs: OLB, WR, S, RT, RB, LB

Rd 1 (16) DT Michael Brockers, LSU
Rd 2 (47) WR A.J. Jenkins, Illinois
Rd 3 (77) OLB Jonathan Massaquoi, Troy

Analysis: When it's all said and done, if I'm New York I feel like I may have gotten one of the two best defensive tackles in the draft in terms of immediate impact. Brockers is a big, high-motor player who can collapse pockets from the inside and move like a much lighter player. He'll thrive under coach Rex Ryan, and the addition of him and Massaquoi in Round 3 should have the Jets ecstatic about the possibilities up front. Jenkins is a very good wide receiver out of Illinois who some personnel people see as worthy of a late-first-round pick, so getting him midway through Round 2 is a nice value.

AFC North
Baltimore Ravens

Top needs: G/C, OLB, WR, S, DL

Rd 1 (29) C Peter Konz, Wisconsin (or trade down)
Rd 2 (60) OLB Terrell Manning, N.C. State
Rd 3 (91) WR Joe Adams, Arkansas

Analysis: If I'm Baltimore, I look to trade down at least a few slots. When your top need is on the interior of the offensive line, you're in good position to pile up some picks and look for one of the top players available into Round 2. For this exercise, I'll take Konz and feel good knowing I have the best center in the draft. Matt Birk can still play, but this is a clear position of need. Baltimore lost Jarret Johnson this offseason, but getting a talent like Manning has the potential to soften that blow. Adams is a guy who can come in and work underneath; he'll complement the other wide receivers in that offense well.

Cincinnati Bengals

Top needs: RG, WR, CB, DE, SS, RB

Rd 1 (17) CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina
Rd 1 (21) G David DeCastro, Stanford
Rd 2 (53) CB Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech
Rd 3 (83) G Tony Bergstrom, Utah

Analysis: A good session of checking off top needs. Gilmore is a big, physical corner who comes in ready to play. I'm thrilled if I'm Cincy and he's still sitting there at No. 17; he's a smart kid who will pick things up and can contribute to a team looking to take the next step in the playoffs. DeCastro is a big-time prospect at guard, and the Bengals can draft him and assume improvement in the run game, where they really struggled in 2011. He may be the best guard prospect since Steve Hutchinson, and guard is a big need for them. Hosley provides more depth at corner. He has the instincts of a Round 1 pick and can be a playmaker but doesn't have the size to get the elite tag on most boards. Bergstrom can play early if needed, but is good insurance.

Cleveland Browns

Top needs: QB, RB, WR, RT, CB, OLB

Rd 1 (4) RB Trent Richardson, Alabama
Rd 1 (22) T/G Cordy Glenn, Georgia
Rd 2 (37) QB Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma St.
Rd 3 (67) CB Dwight Bentley, Louisiana-Lafayette

Analysis: Richardson is simply a home run at No. 4. You rarely say that about a running back taken so high, but he has such a high floor as a prospect -- the only downside is injury, and that's such a perpetual issue, one that extends far beyond the running back position if you're looking close. Glenn is a versatile player who Cleveland will move to right tackle. He can be dominant as a run-blocker and has great initial pop, and with his presence, Joe Thomas on the left side and Richardson in the backfield, Cleveland has to feel pretty confident in an upgrade for the ground attack. Weeden is capable of pushing Colt McCoy right away (he's a few years older) and could be a steal. So he's older -- if the Browns get 6-8 good years from him, will anybody really care? Bentley is a nice piece at corner, where the team can use some help, even though I consider this a pretty good secondary.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Top needs: G/T, NT, ILB, CB, WR, RB

Rd 1 (24) ILB Dont'a Hightower, Alabama
Rd 2 (56) G/T Jeff Allen, Illinois
Rd 3 (86) DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson

Analysis: Hightower fits like a glove in defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau's system. This guy diagnoses plays at an NFL level already, then the physical side takes over. He's tall for a middle linebacker, takes away windows over the middle and packs an enormous punch, playing inside at over 260 pounds. The Steelers have built up some depth at linebacker, but in Hightower they're drafting a starter who can uphold the elite tradition. Since I'm the GM, the other guy I consider here is Bobby Massie, a rising tackle prospect. But I can take Allen later -- he could take over on the right side if Marcus Gilbert heads to the right side. Thompson would be an absolute steal that late in Round 3, and the Steelers need talent up front. While he's not a pure nose tackle in that system, they simply need upgrades on the defensive line, and he can play early.

AFC South
Houston Texans

Top needs: WR, LB, G/T, CB, NT

Rd 1 (26) OT Bobby Massie, Ole Miss
Rd 2 (58) WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina
Rd 3 (76) LB Bobby Wagner, Utah St.

Analysis: One of the quiet stories of the offseason is the work Houston will have to do on the offensive line to keep its very efficient run game rolling. Massie is a guy moving up my board, and if I'm Houston I know where my bread is buttered and make sure things up front are in good shape. As a caveat, I'll say I'm really tempted here by Coby Fleener, the tight end out of Stanford. Houston lost a good one this offseason in Joel Dreessen. In Round 2, Jeffery is there as a nice piece to put across the formation from Andre Johnson. Jeffery won't stretch the field by blowing by people, but watch the tape and you'll see a guy who often just physically overwhelms smaller corners and safeties. Houston's play-action attack will be able to create favorable matchups for him. The Texans moved DeMeco Ryans, knowing they could fill his role in the draft, and Wagner is a guy I think can do the job.

Indianapolis Colts

Top needs: QB, WR, DL, CB, OL, TE

Rd 1 (1) QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
Rd 2 (34) DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan St.
Rd 3 (64) WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma

Analysis: I'm a pretty savvy GM, taking this Luck kid, huh? Really out in front of the pack! Needless to say, I think Luck is a lock on my board and Indy's as well. That's your Week 1 starter. Worthy runs a little hot and cold, but when he's on the warm side of that equation, he is a first-round talent at defensive tackle the Colts can say they got in Round 2. Roll the film when he's up against Notre Dame, Michigan or Georgia last year and see how hard it is for even some really good offensive linemen to keep him in place. The Colts have to stop the run, and it starts inside. Broyles has the talent of a Round 1 pick, but we'll take the chance here. He ran a 4.57 40-yard dash last week just months off an ACL injury, and when he's fully recovered he'll be just what Luck needs -- a wide receiver who flat-out knows how to diagnose, get open and operate in space.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Top needs: DE, WR, CB, RT

Rd 1 (7) DE Melvin Ingram, South Carolina (or trade down)
Rd 2 (38) WR Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech
Rd 3 (70) CB Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina

Analysis: The Jags need pass-rush help so bad, even if Justin Blackmon were somehow still there at No. 7, I'm not sure they pull the trigger. Ingram, if he can do anything, can rush the passer. The guy is wonderfully versatile, and even with his short arms he disengages really well and falls back on an arsenal of moves. This is not an elite class of pass-rushers, in my opinion, but the Jags can say they got the one who grades out best as of draft day. You can do worse at No. 7. Hill provides help stretching the field in Round 2. He is remarkably explosive given his long frame (he ran sub-4.4 at 6-foot-4). Still needs plenty of refinement coming out of Georgia Tech's run-first (and second) offense, but he gives the Jags something they don't have on the roster, even with the addition of Laurent Robinson. Norman is much-needed help at corner, so the top three needs are punched out.

Tennessee Titans

Top needs: CB, DE, C, OLB, S

Rd 1 (20) CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
Rd 2 (52) DE Vinny Curry, Marshall
Rd 3 (82) C Ben Jones, Georgia

Analysis: Knocking out the needs here, with good value at each spot. Kirkpatrick is ready to start. The star out of Alabama has uncommon length at near 6-3 and plays with an edge. He'll come in willing to take on top receivers. After some misses in recent drafts, the Titans need to keep going back to the pass rush. The addition of Kamerion Wimbley helps, but Curry will be able to add some punch. He's an awesome kid, works like crazy and played through the loss of his mother in 2011. He's also pretty versatile, so the Titans can move him around. I have center as a top need, and Jones is the best one in the draft after Konz. He can come in and start if needed.

AFC West
Denver Broncos

Top needs: DT, RB, CB, WR, G/C, QB

Rd 1 (25) DT Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati
Rd 2 (57) RB LaMichael James, Oregon
Rd 3 (87) WR T.Y. Hilton, Florida International

Analysis: I'm the GM here, and Wolfe is one of my biggest sleepers in this draft. He is an explosive, scheme-versatile player and fills a big need on the defensive interior. I trust the Broncos with making talent work regardless of the "system" fit (see: Von Miller), and Wolfe could be a really good one. They simply have to add talent on the interior of the defensive line, and Wolfe makes sense. I love the idea of James keeping linebackers' eyes in the backfield on play-action fakes or swinging out into the flat for Peyton Manning. He's not quite Darren Sproles in terms of elusiveness, but he's in that category. He'll provide a change of pace the offense needs. Hilton is a good value in the third round and fills a need at wide receiver.

Kansas City Chiefs

Top needs: NT, LG, S, DE, CB, WR

Rd 1 (11) DT Dontari Poe, Memphis
Rd 2 (44) G Amini Silatolu, Midwestern St.
Rd 3 (74) NT Alameda Ta'amu, Washington

Analysis: The Chiefs really need a nose tackle, and while Poe is not yet a finished product, and might even be as good or more successful in a 4-3, it's really hard to pass on his potential at this spot on the board. Guard is a huge need for the Chiefs, and I'm going to take one of my favorite sleepers in the draft with Silatolu here. He'll be able to help them early, and anything the Chiefs can do to invigorate the run game will be key. Ta'amu is a wide body and good insurance piece for the Chiefs at NT. In fact, I can see Poe and him on the field at the same time.

Oakland Raiders

Top needs: DL, TE, WR, OLB, RB, LG

Rd 3 (95) OLB Bruce Irvin, West Virginia

Analysis: The Raiders are left with this one pick, a product of the Carson Palmer trade, and the decision to draft Terrelle Pryor in the supplementary draft last summer. Irvin is the quintessential high-risk, high-reward pick here. The Raiders need help in the pass rush, and Irvin has the chance to fill out a little more and still maintain a great first step and closing burst. The question is whether he can get stronger and take on NFL tackles without getting engulfed.

San Diego Chargers

Top needs: OLB, S, CB, RB, OL, DE

Rd 1 (18) OLB Chandler Jones, Syracuse
Rd 2 (49) S Brandon Taylor, LSU
Rd 3 (78) RB Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati

Analysis: The Chargers need an outside 'backer, and Jones is moving up as fast as any player in the draft. He has the size to hold up as a 4-3 defensive end, but I don't think he'll have a tough time working effectively in San Diego's scheme. The Chargers also need help at safety, and the way it lines up Taylor would be the best one available at No. 49. The way the board lined up when I was making all the picks had Pead as a steal in Round 3 versus the Chargers reaching a bit at corner. That's three for four on the top needs, and they can grab a corner later on.

NFC:
NFC East
Dallas Cowboys

Top needs: G/C, CB, OLB, SS, DE, TE

Rd. 1 (14) S Mark Barron, Alabama
Rd. 2 (45) OLB Andre Branch, Clemson
Rd. 3 (81) CB Justin Bethel, Presbyterian

Analysis: The Cowboys need to shore up their coverage and get a lot of help here in the secondary and with an added piece in the pass rush. Barron makes too much sense. He has a good chance to be there at No. 14, and in this simulation he was. He provides an immediate upgrade. Branch is a guy scouts disagree on, but only on whether he's got the talent of a late-first-round grade. Midway through Round 2, Dallas can't go wrong, and he'll provide depth on the edge. You can't have too many pass-rushers. Bethel could be one of the sleepers of the draft. A star at Presbyterian, he has plenty of physical talent, and Dallas isn't out of the woods in the secondary because of the addition of Brandon Carr.

New York Giants

Top needs: RB, OL, TE, LB, CB, WR

Rd. 1 (32) TE Coby Fleener, Stanford
Rd. 2 (63) RB David Wilson, Virginia Tech
Rd. 3 (94) OT Donald Stephenson, Oklahoma

Analysis: I've liked Fleener to the Giants for a while. I think he just provides something that passing game doesn't have. Remember, Fleener won't just line up off tackle; you can split him out and use his size and speed to work matchups with smaller corners or slower linebackers. Teams will spend a lot of time looking at how to slow the momentum the Giants should carry over with their passing attack, and Fleener adds something new to account for. Wilson provides power and explosiveness in the run game, and Stephenson is the requisite pick this team needs to make to keep some semblance of depth on the offensive line.

Philadelphia Eagles

Top needs: OLB, SS, OT, DT, TE/FB, QB

Rd. 1 (15) DT Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
Rd. 2 (46) LB Zach Brown, North Carolina
Rd. 2 (51) TE Dwayne Allen, Clemson
Rd. 3 (88) QB Kirk Cousins, Michigan State

Analysis: He's not quite as high on my board as he is on Todd McShay's, but Cox is the real deal. The Eagles can get to quarterbacks, but they were awful up the middle last year. Cox can be a big part of the solution. So will Brown, who provides the linebacker they need with proper value in Round 2. Suddenly, if I'm Philly, I'm feeling a lot better about the interior of my defense, with Cox, Brown and the addition of DeMeco Ryans. Allen is the second-best tight end in the draft and a great value here. The Eagles have hinted that they could look for a quarterback to develop, and Cousins makes a lot of sense. He has the chance to be a good starter in this league if he gets some seasoning. He's coachable and has underrated physical talent; I love the value late in the third. I did consider tackle options, but the addition of Demetress Bell obviously shifts that need down a notch.

Washington Redskins

Top needs: QB, S, RT, ILB, CB, G/C

Rd. 1 (2) QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor
Rd. 3 (69) OT Zebrie Sanders, Florida State

Analysis: Enjoy this first-round pick, Redskins fans, because it'll be the last one for a while. RG3 has shown he's no reach, however, and given the additions to the wide-receiving corps, he has a pretty good shot to get off to a good start as a rookie. That said, Washington surely can't buy into the idea that one adequate offensive lineman (Trent Williams) will be enough just because RG3 can run. This is a kid who wants to pass, show off his patience, see deep routes develop and show off that arm. Bringing in Sanders to start out on the right side will help buy a little more time. Sanders isn't incredible value at No. 69, but he's right about there, and need supersedes the value here if I'm making the pick.

NFC North
Chicago Bears

Top needs: OL, DE, CB, WR, DT, S

Rd. 1 (19) DE Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
Rd. 2 (50) WR Brian Quick, Appalachian State
Rd. 3 (79) DT Devon Still, Penn State

Analysis: The Bears really need to shore up the offensive line, but they've expressed a lot of optimism -- particularly offensive coordinator Mike Tice -- and I can see them waiting around to add help. So I'll play along. Clearly, they've talked me into it, as I'm also looking elsewhere, targeting the pass rush in Round 1. Mercilus is a one-year wonder in terms of production, but the tape shows a guy who figured it out, and if he can play at the level he did in 2011 (I have no reason to believe it'll disappear), he fits the system in Chicago and can close on quarterbacks when he gets the edge. Quick is another huge target (6-foot-4, 220) for Jay Cutler, and while I think Chicago needs to go O-line here, the way the board lines up for this Quick is a steal, and a couple of O-line options I can see here look like reaches. I'm not married to this pick, but it wouldn't be a bad one for need and value. Still is a steal this late, and I might have left him on the board too long. The Bears do want help at defensive tackle, and Rod Marinelli can do a lot with Still.

Detroit Lions

Top needs: CB, RB, OL, LB, S

Rd. 1 (23) LB Lavonte David, Nebraska
Rd. 2 (54) CB Trumaine Johnson, Montana
Rd. 3 (85) S George Iloka, Boise State

Analysis: Remember, this is my draft. And in my draft, David is unquestionably a first-round pick. He played undersized, but I can see him piling up tackles as a weakside 'backer. He plays sideline to sideline and has the explosiveness to cause problems in blitzing situations. He also can dip and run with running backs flared out, or tight ends. The Lions like what they have up front; it's now time to find some playmakers in the secondary. Johnson is a bigger corner who will make plays and is a solid value in Round 2. Iloka, a safety out of Boise State, is a little overrated for me when you talk about a second-round grade, but I love the value in the third. Offensive line is also a huge need, but this is the way the value lined up for me, and I consider this trio to hit three needs.

Green Bay Packers

Top needs: OLB, FS, DE, RB, CB, C, QB

Rd. 1 (28) OLB Shea McClellin, Boise State
Rd. 2 (59) DE Jared Crick, Nebraska
Rd. 3 (90) S Antonio Allen, South Carolina

Analysis: I originally had Upshaw of Bama here, but I like the McClellin fit better and have moved Upshaw to New England because Green Bay picks first. McClellin might be a little big to drop and play in space like a traditional 3-4 outside linebacker, but if Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers allows him to make getting to the quarterback his primary goal, he has a chance to help early and develop in other areas. He's a really smart player and will pick things up quickly, and provides help for a pass rush that is desperate. Crick might be a bit of a reach on some boards, but if he's fully healthy (he will be after tearing a pectoral muscle during the season), I like his fit here. Green Bay's pass rush was as bad as any other team's in the NFL for much of last season, and Crick and Upshaw are solid additions to the front seven. Allen is a good developmental safety prospect.

Minnesota Vikings

Top needs: CB, LT, WR, S, G, LB

Rd. 1 (3) OT Matt Kalil, USC (attempt to move down)
Rd. 2 (35) S Harrison Smith, Notre Dame
Rd. 3 (66) WR Marvin McNutt, Iowa

Analysis: Corner is a big need for me if I'm Minnesota, which is why I can see the Vikings being very tempted to select Morris Claiborne, but left tackle is equally important. If they don't protect Christian Ponder, they really won't be able to effectively audit his progress. I put trading down as an option because I do it if it's clear a team will give up a ton of value to get into that No. 3 slot, so the Vikings should be entertaining offers all the way. But if that can't happen, they should be plenty happy to add Kalil, a rare tackle ready to start right away on the left side. The pick of Smith in Round 2 shores up a significant need at safety, and McNutt in Round 3 fills a void at wide receiver. He gives Minnesota a bigger target and different dimension to pair with the smaller Percy Harvin.

NFC South
Atlanta Falcons

Top needs: DE, OL, OLB, CB, TE

Rd. 2 (55) OT/G Kelechi Osemele, Iowa State
Rd. 3 (84) DE Olivier Vernon, Miami

Analysis: Atlanta fans might not be familiar with the names, but both guys should be able to find their way into the rotation because they play need positions. Osemele played left tackle at Iowa State, but he's a guy I'm looking to move inside to become a mauler in the run game. He has the size (333 pounds) to engulf smaller defenders, and you'll see that because he can get to the edge and flatten linebackers. He's a nice addition up front. Vernon is a 4-3 defensive end prospect who shows a good first step and can develop as a pass-rusher but also holds up pretty well against the run. Both guys are needs picks, but there isn't a value sacrifice.

Carolina Panthers

Top needs: DT, CB, DE, WR, OLB, OL

Rd. 1 (9) LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College
Rd. 2 (40) DE Nick Perry, USC

Analysis: This is probably the first big surprise on the board. I don't have linebacker as a top-three need for the Panthers, but there are two things about this pick I like:

1. Kuechly is at No. 9 on my Big Board, which is extremely high for a guy who has played interior linebacker. He has incredible instincts, will help shut down the run and covers really well.
2. The Panthers have been decimated by injuries to their linebackers in recent years, and Kuechly can play right away and provide a lot of insurance. The Panthers need help up front, but you can build around Kuechly.

Perry is just major value in Round 2. It honestly wouldn't shock me if some team took him in the mid-first round, so getting a pass-rusher like him here is a huge get.

New Orleans Saints

Top needs: DE, CB, DT, OLB, WR

Rd. 3 (89) DT Akiem Hicks Regina (Canada)

Analysis: A lot of people won't know about Hicks, given that he played up in Regina (Saskatchewan), but he was recruited to LSU to be a difference-maker and could be a steal as an impact defensive tackle this late. He needs some technique work, as you'd expect, but he has pretty quick feet for a guy tipping the scales around 320 pounds. The Saints don't have a pick in the first round because of the deal that netted them Mark Ingram in last year's draft, and their second-round pick this year had to be forfeited.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Top needs: CB, RB, LB, SS, TE

Rd. 1 (5) CB Morris Claiborne, LSU
Rd. 2 (36) RB Doug Martin, Boise State
Rd. 3 (68) LB Demario Davis, Arkansas State

Analysis: I know the pick of Claiborne won't be a surprise to anyone, but it's just a really safe pick. Claiborne doesn't blind you with speed, but everything else is there to make him a Pro Bowl-caliber corner for a long time. I have running back as a big need for this team, and Martin makes a lot of sense to me early in Round 2. I actually have LaMichael James rated higher on my Board, but Martin is a really complete back and could become the lead horse if LeGarrette Blount is around for only one more year. It's also clear the team is looking for a complement to Blount in the meantime, and coach Greg Schiano hasn't been shy about Blount's fumbling issues. Linebacker is a need spot, and Davis is right about there in terms of where I have him graded.

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals

Top needs: OT, WR, OLB, DE, S

Rd. 1 (13) OT Riley Reiff, Iowa
Rd. 3 (80) DE Tyrone Crawford, Boise State

Analysis: It's not a secret that Arizona needs to do something at tackle, and Reiff becomes a very good value if he falls to No. 13. I can see up to three teams taking him before this spot, but when I'm playing GM, this is where he lands. He could start immediately on the right side with the move to left as he develops. The Cardinals are out of the mix in Round 2, but I have them taking an intriguing pass-rusher in Round 3. Crawford will play between 275 and 285 pounds, and he has a lot of strength to stand up versus the run but a really athletic streak as well. What you like about him is the versatility, again becoming a bigger need as teams show more and more looks.

San Francisco 49ers

Top needs: RG, WR, S, CB, RB, OLB

Rd. 1 (30) G Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin
Rd. 2 (61) WR Rueben Randle, LSU
Rd. 3 (92) DT Mike Martin, Michigan

Analysis: Well, I know 49ers fans won't jump up and down about the guard pick, but let's be clear about San Francisco. Regardless of who it adds in the passing game, it's clear to all that Alex Smith isn't going to become Aaron Rodgers, and if this team wants to be successful on offense, it simply has to be able to run the ball, and with power. In many years, Zeitler would be the top guard taken. He will come in capable of starting. I'm also really tempted by WR Stephen Hill in this spot. But instead of that, I get a nice value in the passing game with Randle, a guy with good size capable of stretching the field, late in Round 2. If Randy Moss provides something in 2012, Randle could develop late as a threat and then become a starter in 2013. Martin is insurance for the 49ers because Justin Smith played at such an incredible level in 2011 that the thought of him being injured should scare San Francisco. If Martin plays with Smith's motor, he could develop into a good 3-technique in that scheme.

Seattle Seahawks

Top needs: DE, LB, WR, RB

Rd. 1(12) DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina
Rd. 2 (43) LB Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma
Rd. 3 (75) WR Keshawn Martin, Michigan State

Analysis: Coples has dropped a bit in the past month, as I sense that a lot of personnel folks aren't of the belief that he has a really high ceiling. But at No. 12, you're still talking about getting the guy who most saw as the most complete 4-3 defensive end prospect in this draft class for the better part of two years. Coples can play. Lewis is a pretty dynamic physical talent who struggled a bit when Oklahoma asked him to play linebacker. However, coach Pete Carroll can work magic with these types. As a "Leo" LB, he can use his good size and athleticism in the same way Carroll has used Chris Clemons. Lewis can be a pass-rusher for the Seahawks. This defense is turning into something with these pieces. Martin is a quick receiver who could work all over. He's not a deep threat, but he turns tight spaces and press coverage into wide-open passing lanes because he's really proficient at creating space with quickness and smarts. Keep an eye on him.

St. Louis Rams

Top needs: WR, OL, CB, OLB, DT, RB

Rd. 1 (6) WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
Rd. 2 (33) OT Mike Adams, Ohio State
Rd. 2 (39) DT Kendall Reyes, Connecticut
Rd. 3 (65) RB Lamar Miller, Miami

Analysis: I know St. Louis has been listening on this pick and could move down, but if the price isn't right, the pick of Blackmon would be. He might not have the upside of a superstar, but he has the floor of a very good player. He's proficient at doing anything a receiver must: He'll get open, create space, fight for and work back to the ball and work underneath as well as over the top. Adams isn't a mauler, but he can really move his feet and could help at right tackle early with the upside of a pretty good left tackle, which is nothing to scoff at. Reyes is a steal at No. 39 if he's around and should fit well inside on this improving defensive line. Miller can be explosive and will take the load off the great Steven Jackson. Some help on both sides of the ball here, with a focus on getting a dreadful offense back on track.

Last edited by a moderator:
And i got a copy of Todd McShay's. His is a little less entertaining for the redskins, but it has everyone else if you're interested.

BTW do we not have the spoiler tag on these forums? It'd be nice to hide large text if there is a way :)

NFL:
Indianapolis Colts
Record: 2-14 | Top needs: QB, NT, CB, WR, TE, G, DE, LBAndrew Luck*, QB, Stanford
Scenario 1: Luck is a once-in-a-generation prospect, and adding him is the best option for a team that is starting over in the post-Peyton Manning era.
Scenario 2: The Colts could pull one of the all-time draft surprises and take Baylor QB Robert Griffin III instead, but that doesn't seem likely after Griffin declined to work out for the team.

Washington Redskins (from STL)
Record: 5-11 | Top needs: QB, ILB, ROT, RB, S, CB, C/G, OLBRobert Griffin III*, QB, Baylor
Scenario 1: The Redskins sent three first-round picks to the St. Louis Rams to move into this spot, and Griffin is their target. He's a perfect fit for coach Mike Shanahan's system.
Scenario 2: Should Indianapolis shock the world, Washington would happily settle for Luck.

Minnesota Vikings
Record: 3-13 | Top needs: OT, WR, S, CB, MLB, DT, OLB, DE Matt Kalil*, OT, USC
Scenario 1: The ideal situation for the Vikings would be to get a blockbuster trade offer -- likely from a team looking to get ahead of the Cleveland Browns and draft Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill -- that keeps them in the top 10 and adds another first-round pick. That would allow them to get an offensive tackle such as Iowa's Riley Reiff or a receiver such as Notre Dame's Michael Floyd and address another need later in the first round.
Scenario 2: If Minnesota stays home here, it will be able to add a franchise left tackle in Kalil.

Cleveland Browns
Record: 4-12 | Top needs: RB, WR, QB, ROT, OLB, DE, DT, C/GTrent Richardson*, RB, Alabama
Scenario 1: I've said all along that this pick will decide how much of the rest of the first round plays out, and I still feel that way. From an overall standpoint, Richardson ranks ahead of Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon and Tannehill, in that order, but from a positional-value standpoint the list would be reversed. The Browns face a tough decision, but Richardson is likely to be the pick.
Scenario 2: Blackmon would offer current QB Colt McCoy the kind of perimeter weapon he has been lacking since entering the league.
Scenario 3: Take Tannehill. It all comes down to how Cleveland feels about Tannehill and his potential, and whether the team is content to stand pat with McCoy and build around him.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Record: 4-12 | Top needs: RB, CB, OLB, SS, G, TE, ILB, WR Morris Claiborne*, CB, LSU
Scenario 1: Richardson would be the pick if available. The Bucs have LeGarrette Blount, but he has had durability and fumbling issues, and Richardson is the most complete back to enter the draft since Adrian Peterson.
Scenario 2: Claiborne is also one of the five elite prospects in this year's class, and his quickness, fluid hips and ball skills would solidify a secondary that faces questions about Ronde Barber (age) and Aqib Talib (off-field issues). Either way, Tampa Bay gets a top player in a major need area.

St. Louis Rams (from WAS)Record: 2-14 | Top needs: WR, OT, DT, CB, RB, LB, QB, SJustin Blackmon*, WR, Oklahoma State
Scenario 1: If Kalil should somehow slip out of the top five, he's the pick. The same could be said of Richardson, as the heir-apparent to Steven Jackson.
Scenario 2: With Kalil gone, Blackmon's size, hands and playmaking ability would give Rams QB Sam Bradford a top playmaker on the outside.
Scenario 3: There is some buzz about the Rams being open to trading down yet again and acquiring even more picks, because as our draft tiers breakdown shows, if the right player is not available there is a drop-off in talent at this point.
Scenario 4: If Claiborne should fall, he would be a consideration for a team that struggled to defend the pass last season.
Scenario 5: The Rams could opt for the top defensive tackle on the board to fill a big need. In this case that would be Mississippi State's Fletcher Cox, who would bring solid versatility and production to the defensive line.

Jacksonville JaguarsRecord: 5-11 | Top needs: WR, DE, C, ROT, CB, OLB, RB, DTMelvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina
Scenario 1: If Blackmon should fall this far the Jaguars have to pull the trigger. They've gone far too long without a true No. 1 target in the passing game, and it's hard to fully evaluate second-year QB Blaine Gabbert without proper weapons around him.
Scenario 2: Jacksonville would certainly like to take advantage of a team looking to get ahead of the Miami Dolphins to draft Tannehill. Moving back and adding picks would help a team that has plenty of needs.
Scenario 3: If stuck here, the Jags go with the best available defensive end. General manager Gene Smith likes safer, more proven prospects, so Ingram fits better than North Carolina's Quinton Coples. Ingram is versatile, explosive and shows a knack for making big plays, while Coples has impressive tools but faces questions about his motor and work ethic.
Scenario 4: If he falls in ahead of Ingram on their board, the Jaguars could take Reiff and shore up their offensive line.

Miami DolphinsRecord: 6-10 | Top needs: QB, WR, ROT, S, DE, CB, TE, OLB Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
Scenario 1: Tannehill has all kinds of upside with his athleticism and arm talent, and he played under new Miami offensive coordinator Mike Sherman in college. Getting him is the best-case scenario whether the Dolphins stay put or trade up.
Scenario 2: Should Tannehill be off the board, take the best available offensive player. That's Reiff or Floyd in this case. Reiff would offer a nice bookend opposite current LT Jake Long, and Floyd would add a weapon on the outside.
Scenario 3: Opt for the best defensive player remaining on the board. That could include options such as Ingram, Fletcher Cox, Coples, Boston College ILB Luke Kuechly and Alabama S Mark Barron.

Carolina PanthersRecord: 6-10 | Top needs: CB, OLB, WR, OT, DT, G, DEFletcher Cox*, DT, Mississippi State
Scenario 1: Coach Ron Rivera needs an impact D lineman at some point, and Cox's versatility, explosiveness and motor would be put to good use.
Scenario 2: Bolster the defensive line with a defensive end such as Ingram if he should be available.
Scenario 3: Take their highest-rated available player at a position of need, whether that's Reiff, Floyd or South Carolina CB Stephon Gilmore.

Buffalo BillsRecord: 6-10 | Top needs: OT, WR, OLB, CB, QB, TE, ILB, G Riley Reiff*, OT, Iowa
Scenario 1: Reiff falling to this spot is the ideal situation for the Bills, who have not taken an offensive tackle in the first round since selecting Mike Williams fourth overall in 2002. Reiff is technically sound and would help solidify things in front of QB Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Scenario 2: Floyd would be attractive as a physical outside presence opposite current No. 1 receiver Steve Johnson.
Scenario 3: Ignore needs and take advantage of a value pick on defense. Kuechly would offer a good fit in the middle, or if Ingram were available he would bolster the pass rush.

Kansas City ChiefsRecord: 7-9 | Top needs: 3-4 NT, LG, ILB, S, 3-4 OLB, RB, DE, WR/RB/TELuke Kuechly*, ILB, Boston College
Scenario 1: Kuechly is a slam dunk to fill a big need. He can be plugged in next to Derrick Johnson immediately to form one of the best 3-4 inside tandems in the league. He's instinctive, productive and athletic, and he could allow for some scheme versatility.
Scenario 2: Nose tackle is the Chiefs' top need, and Memphis DT Dontari Poe would fit the bill. However, he's likely not the first choice because general manager Scott Pioli prefers proven commodities over prospects with potential. Still, how often does a team get a chance to pick a potentially dominant two-gap nose tackle who can also add some pass-rush potential from the inside.
Scenario 3: Take LSU DT Michael Brockers, who is a better overall player than Poe but who might not be the best fit in the middle in a 3-4.
Scenario 4: Fill a need along the offensive front with Stanford G David DeCastro, who will immediately be one of the best guards in the league.
Scenario 5: Opt for Barron to solidify the secondary.

Seattle SeahawksRecord: 7-9 | Top needs: LB, DE, G/ROT, WR, RB, QB, CB, TEQuinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
Scenario 1: Take Kuechly and bring some stability to a linebacker corps that has seen the likes of Julian Peterson, Aaron Curry, David Hawthorne and others come and go in recent years.
Scenario 2: With Kuechly gone, Coples becomes a value pick at this point and will add a versatile presence who can both pressure the quarterback and hold up against the run when his motor is running high.
Scenario 3: Look to need areas elsewhere on offense with DeCastro or Floyd.

Arizona CardinalsRecord: 8-8 | Top needs: ROT, WR, 3-4 OLB, QB, DE, DB, C/G, ILB Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
Scenario 1: If Reiff is available, he's the pick. The Cardinals have a big hole at offensive tackle, and Reiff is ready to step in immediately.
Scenario 2: With Reiff gone, Floyd would be a solid complement to Larry Fitzgerald, with the hands and downfield ball skills to take advantage of all the attention Fitzgerald attracts.
Scenario 3: Add a quality prospect who can fill a need at 3-4 outside linebacker. Ingram would be a fit if he were available.
Scenario 4: Bring in the best available defensive lineman, whether they feel that's Poe or Brockers.

Dallas CowboysRecord: 8-8 | Top needs: S, DL, CB, WR, G, RB, OLB, QB Dontari Poe*, DT, Memphis
Scenario 1: Defensive line might not seem like the top need, but Poe is the kind of young, versatile talent defensive coordinator Rob Ryan would like to develop. And with Kenyon Coleman on the downside of his career and Jay Ratliff able to move to 5-technique/DE, Poe would bring some depth and flexibility to the defensive front.
Scenario 2: The Cowboys have been searching for some time for a versatile, do-it-all safety who can be a quarterback in the secondary, so Barron could easily be the pick.
Scenario 3: Bring in Floyd to provide QB Tony Romo with another weapon on the outside.
Scenario 4: Brockers is also an option to upgrade the defensive line.
Scenario 5: The Cowboys need to shore things up at cornerback, and at this point Gilmore would be a good fit.

Philadelphia EaglesRecord: 8-8 | Top needs: LT, S, OLB, DT, QB, RB, TE, DE Mark Barron, S, AlabamaScenario 1: The Eagles would love to see Reiff slip to them here, but that won't happen.
Scenario 2: Barron fills one of Philadelphia's top three needs, and the Eagles have lacked a do-everything, physical presence at safety since Brian Dawkins left town.
Scenario 3: Find a way to get a defensive tackle. The Eagles would like it if Cox were available but might look for a more proven commodity at other positions if Brockers is the top tackle on the board. With Barron, Reiff, Cox and Poe gone in this scenario, that could mean trading back and bringing in a player such as Michigan State DT Jerel Worthy while also adding extra picks.
Scenario 4: Don't rule out Kuechly if he should fall this far. Yes, Philadelphia brought in ILB DeMeco Ryans via trade, but Kuechly might be too good to pass and has the ability to move to the outside.
New York JetsRecord: 8-8 | Top needs: OLB, WR, RT, DE, S, RB, ILB, TE Chandler Jones*, DE, Syracuse
Scenario 1: Ingram is the ideal choice for New York's 3-4 scheme, but he'll be long gone.
Scenario 2: Reiff would fill a big need as well, but he'll also be off the board.
Scenario 3: Add a bigger receiver who can complement Santonio Holmes. However, with Floyd off the board there's no other receiver worth the pick.
Scenario 4: Trade back and find better value at one of the previously mentioned positions later in the first round.
Scenario 5: If the Jets are stuck here, Jones isn't the ideal pick but is a versatile prospect with good length and pass-rush potential, and he's one of the most underrated players in the entire class.

Cincinnati Bengals (from OAK)Record: 9-7 | Top needs: WR, G, SS, CB, DE, RB, OLB, DT David DeCastro*, G, Stanford
Scenario 1: DeCastro is a good value at this point and fills a top need. He can step in right away and help stabilize things in front of second-year QB Andy Dalton.
Scenario 2: If Barron were still on the board, the Bengals would have to think hard about taking him.
Scenario 3: Upgrade at corner with Gilmore.
Scenario 4: Cincinnati could reach for a wide receiver at this point, but is more likely to address that need later in the first round.
San Diego ChargersRecord: 8-8 | Top needs: G, C, S, NT, RT, OLB, DE, RB/WR/TE Cordy Glenn, OT/G, Georgia
Scenario 1: DeCastro would be the ideal solution at guard, but he's off the board in this projection.
Scenario 2: Barron would also fill a need area if he were available.
Scenario 3: The Chargers need to keep QB Philip Rivers upright, and Glenn provides an upgrade over Jeromey Clary at right tackle. He also has the versatility to play guard and offer an upgrade in the running game as well.
Scenario 4: Opt for the top pass-rusher on their board, whether that's USC's Nick Perry or Alabama's Courtney Upshaw.

Chicago BearsRecord: 8-8 | Top needs: LT, CB, DE, LB, TE, DT, G, SStephon Gilmore*, CB, South Carolina
Scenario 1: Gilmore could be a top-15 pick, and while he's still developing in terms of instincts he has the size, athleticism and speed to become a No. 1 corner. And a team that will face Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford four times a year has to be able to cover on the perimeter.
Scenario 2: Upgrade at defensive end with Upshaw, who could add to the pass rush and bolster the run defense.
Scenario 3: Address a need at left tackle with Ohio State's Mike Adams or Stanford's Jonathan Martin.
Scenario 4: If Gilmore is off the board the Bears could choose to address their corner need with Alabama's Dre Kirkpatrick or North Alabama's Janoris Jenkins. There are character concerns with Jenkins, but he has more man-to-man cover skills than Kirkpatrick.

Tennessee TitansRecord: 9-7 | Top needs: CB, LB, S, OT, DE, RB, WR, DT Dre Kirkpatrick*, CB, Alabama
Scenario 1: Cornerback is the team's top need and the Titans would take Gilmore if he were available.
Scenario 2: Kirkpatrick is a good fit in Tennessee's zone-heavy scheme with his size, toughness and instincts.
Scenario 3: Alabama ILB Dont'a Hightower is a possibility. The Titans have a need at the position, and while they like 2011 draft pick Colin McCarthy there is no other inside linebacker worth taking here.
Scenario 4: Take the highest-rated available tackle offensive tackle on their board, whether that's Martin or Adams.

Cincinnati BengalsRecord: 9-7 | Top needs: WR, G, SS, CB, DE, RB, OLB, DT Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
Scenario 1: Having gotten their guard earlier in the round, Wright fills another big need. He's a dynamic playmaker who can work from the slot or on the outside opposite A.J. Green and take advantage of the attention paid to Green.
Scenario 2: This could be the spot the Bengals address their need at corner, and if any team were going to be comfortable with Jenkins and his baggage it would likely be Cincinnati.
Scenario 3: Trade back, perhaps with a team looking to get ahead of Cleveland and assure itself of getting the quarterback it wants. That would allow the Bengals to move back and fill a need with a better value, such as Miami RB Lamar Miller or Boise State RB Doug Martin or Notre Dame S Harrison Smith.

Cleveland Browns (from ATL)Record: 4-12 | Top needs: RB, WR, QB, RT, OLB, DE, DT, C/G Jonathan Martin*, OT, Stanford
Scenario 1: Cleveland would like to see Wright fall here to give McCoy another playmaker to work with.
Scenario 2: Not taking Tannehill in the top five shows a willingness to build around McCoy, and with Wright gone Martin offers a plug-and-play option who is familiar with the West Coast offense and zone-blocking principles.
Scenario 3: Reach for a second-tier quarterback. However, not taking Tannehill makes it unlikely the Browns would reach for a player like Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden, who would be a bigger reach and offer significantly less upside at this point.

Detroit LionsRecord: 10-6 | Top needs: CB, LOT/G, LB, DE, RB, C, S, TE Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Alabama
Scenario 1: Upgrade at corner if Gilmore and Kirkpatrick are on the board.
Scenario 2: Take the best available pass-rusher, which in this case is Upshaw. The Lions could continue to build their defensive line as the strength of the team with Upshaw's power and pass-rush ability.
Scenario 3: Detroit needs to keep Stafford upright, and Adams has the size, agility and length teams look for in a left tackle. Consistency is a question, but Adams has top-15 talent, and having a veteran tackle such as Jeff Backus to learn from could help him maximize his talent.
Scenario 4: Fill a need at corner with Jenkins, who would be a gamble but is the second-best cover corner in the draft.

Pittsburgh SteelersRecord: 12-4 | Top needs: OT/G, CB, NT, ILB, RB, S, QB, WRDont'a Hightower*, ILB, Alabama
Scenario 1: Hightower is the perfect fit in Pittsburgh's 3-4 scheme with size, speed and the power to control the interior against the run.
Scenario 2: Add Brockers, cashing in on a top-15 value falling down the board and bringing size and power to the defensive line.
Scenario 3: Fill a need at tackle with the best available player, in this case Adams.

Denver BroncosRecord: 8-8 | Top needs: DT, CB, G/C, RB, WR, QB Michael Brockers*, DT, LSU
Scenario 1: The Broncos have a glaring need in the middle of their defense, and Brockers is a great fit. He's big and powerful and has good tape, and his best football is still ahead of him.
Scenario 2: Jump on Kirkpatrick if he should fall down the board.
Scenario 3: If the defensive players they value are not available, the Broncos could look trade back and pick up extra selections. That could allow them the luxury of taking Peyton Manning's heir apparent (Brock Osweiler?) in the second round while also addressing a need at running back (Boise State's Doug Martin), corner (Jenkins) or defensive tackle (Washington's Alameda Ta'amu).

Houston TexansRecord: 10-6 | Top needs: WR, ROT, ILB, G, CB, 3-2 OLB Stephen Hill*, WR, Georgia Tech
Scenario 1: The Texans would like nothing more than to see Wright fall to them and add a dynamic playmaker opposite Andre Johnson.
Scenario 2: Hightower would also be an attractive option if he were available as a replacement for the departed DeMeco Ryans.
Scenario 3: Hill offers a big, fast option who is raw but could form a dangerous tandem with Johnson.
Scenario 4: Take the best available offensive tackle, in this case Adams, to fill the void left by the release of Eric Winston.

New England Patriots (from N.O.)Record: 13-3 | Top needs: DE, S, DT, G/C, CB, SLB, OT, RB Nick Perry*, DE, USC
Scenario 1: The Patriots need a pass-rusher, and Perry is the best available option in terms of what they are looking for. He's big enough to fit their system, and his instincts would be a welcome addition after the slow development of Jermaine Cunningham.
Scenario 2: Strengthen the defensive line with Brockers or Worthy, who isn't a prototypical two-gap tackle but is quick and explosive and would fit in New England's flexible scheme. Connecticut DT Kendall Reyes could also be an option.
Scenario 3: Look to the future of the offensive line and take Wisconsin C Peter Konz.
Scenario 4: Begin addressing the secondary with Notre Dame S Harrison Smith, who has risen in recent weeks thanks to solid workouts and good film study.
Scenario 5: Even though there is plenty of value at this point, there is always the chance the Patriots will make a move to add extra picks. That could be especially true this year, with the Patriots having six picks in the top 126 overall, but none in Rounds 5-7. They've had success in the later rounds recently (WR Julian Edelman, K Zoltan Mesko, DE Brandon Deaderick), so picking up selections in that area could have benefits.

Green Bay PackersRecord: 15-1 | Top needs: OLB, S, RB, DE, CB, C, QB, TE Andre Branch, DE, Clemson
Scenario 1: Branch has the versatility to play end or outside linebacker in the Packers' versatile scheme, and the Packers desperately need a pass-rusher who can draw some attention away from OLB Clay Matthews.
Scenario 2: Look to another pass-rusher such as Boise State OLB Shea McClellin or Illinois DE Whitney Mercilus.
Scenario 3: If the Packers don't feel good about any of the pass-rushers available, they could trade back and find value at a position of need, perhaps at running back in Miller or Wilson.

Baltimore RavensRecord: 12-4 | Top needs: G, OLB, LOT, DE, ILB, RB Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame
Scenario 1: The Ravens would likely prefer to trade up or back to get better value. In this class moving back five or six spots and adding an extra pick is the better option because the board is thin at their need positions at this point and the Ravens have not historically been a team that reaches for players.
Scenario 2: Smith has the skill to contribute right away, and he would provide a backup plan in the event Ed Reed's durability issues surface again.
Scenario 3: Guard is a need area, and Wisconsin's Kevin Zeitler fits the Ravens' tough attitude. Northwestern State's Amini Silatolu is a more talented player, but there are questions about his ability to absorb an NFL system and play immediately.
Scenario 4: Add help at linebacker. There is no inside linebacker worth this pick, but McClellin is the kind of versatile front-seven defender Baltimore can't get enough of.
Scenario 5: Left tackle is also a need, and Adams has the tools to come off the board in this range, but he might not have the grind-it-out-mentality the Ravens look for.

San Francisco 49ersRecord: 13-3 | Top needs: G, DE, CB, WR, OLB, TE, S, ILB Kendall Reyes, DT, Connecticut
Scenario 1: San Francisco would love to see Hill drop to this spot and add a dynamic weapon to the passing game.
Scenario 2: Trade out. Defensive linemen such as Ta'amu and Clemson's Brandon Thompson are not worth the pick, but moving back could allow the Niners to fill a need position with a better value, perhaps Zeitler, Silatolu or a 3-4 defensive lineman.
Scenario 3: They could elect to go with the best defender available, meaning they might get comfortable with Jenkins or look to McClellin to bring some pass-rush help opposite Aldon Smith.
Scenario 4: Reyes might not appear on the surface to be the best fit, but he's a smart, versatile player who can pick up the system quickly and inject some youth into an aging defensive front.

New England PatriotsRecord: 13-3 | Top needs: DE, DT, DB, C, SLB, WR Jerel Worthy*, DT, Michigan State
Given the scenarios laid out above, Worthy is the best option in this scenario. His motor runs hot and cold at times, but he has the tools to become a disruptive presence.

New York GiantsRecord: 9-7 | Top needs: OT, RB, LB, DT, DE, S Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
Scenario 1: Given their need at the position and Adams' impressive natural tools, he's hard to pass up at this point.
Scenario 2: Take advantage of value and make a luxury pick for a player such as Stanford TE Coby Fleener or Nebraska OLB Lavonte David.
Scenario 3: If there are teams looking to get into the back end of the first round (possibly to get a quarterback), the Giants could get a trade that allows them to move out of the pick and still get value at need positions in the second round.

Not a big fan of Zebrie Sanders so I'd be a little surprised if he were the pick. While OL probably makes the most sense, I wouldn't be shocked to see us take a CB or ILB in the 3rd round, especially if a higher value guy slips.

I expect at least one Tackle and one Guard drafted. I just don't know where and, with multiple needs, I don't think our FO will reach unless it's a guy they are heavily targeting and are afraid he won't be available with the next pick. I also don't think we pick at a few of those slots between rounds 3 and 7 either. I'm pretty sure there will be some wheeling and dealing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.