• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Asante Samuel? Should We?

Assante Samuel is a starter. Who are you going to sit? Granted, he's probably better than anyone we could draft but at least the draft pick would not come in expecting to start right away.

Also, without that 36 mil in cap space, if the Broncos couldn't come to an agreement on a contract with him, I seriously doubt we could.

I agree with this, and am honestly a liitle surprised that people don't realize just how great he is.

His stats were on par with Revis last season. He's still a top 3-5 corner in the league.

We can work his salary out. That really isn't a problem. I wouldn't be surprised to hear our name in the mix by the middle of this week.

Last edited:
I certainly don't doubt Samuel would be an improvement over what we currently have, especially if he were allowed to play man coverage, but I'm not as certain as you are that we have the cap space and would be able to "work his salary out".

With Raheem Morris as our DB coach, would we be playing more Tampa-2 coverage or stick with the man/zone mix we've been using? That could make a difference as to how effective Samuel would be.

I would actually be a little surprised if we pulled the trigger on this. I also think the price would be higher for us since we're in the same division as Philly. Still, as I said, it would be an improvement.

Jimbo, if we really wanted him, we could extend his contract out, convert his salary into a signing bonus, and prorate it. You will recall that we have done that dozens of times with other players when we asked them to restructure.

As you mention, it would only make sense if we are going to use him correctly, and if we will put him in the best position to succeed. That, I simply don't know.

One other benefit of signing him would be that we could then pass on cbs in the draft, and fill other holes, while knowing that our secondary is improved.

I'm not screaming for it, I'm just surprised that it's not being talked about a little more. I think he would do well in Washington or Dallas, and he might be extra inspired when playing against the Eagles.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I'd be up for that trade in a heartbeat and I was dead against the McNabb thing. The other thing not mentioned yet is how hungry he'd be for revenge. I think Philly has misused him since they signed Namdi and he sure doesn't look to have lost any step or be on the downside to me. 31 isn't that old and I think he'd be a HUGE upgrade to our secondary. The structure is huge though given our Cap situation. Thanks once again NFL.

Samuel is a top 3-5 corner?

Funny how a guy THAT good gets moved twice in four years isn't it?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

It's been in the news recently that the Broncos have been trying to cut a deal with the Eagles for Samuel but nothing has been settled yet.

This from Mike Klis of the Denver Post.

Broncos expressed interest in Eagles CB Asante Samuel
POSTED: 04/19/2012 08:14:11 PM MDT
UPDATED: 04/20/2012 03:25:43 PM MDTBy Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Cornerback Asante Samuel. (The Associated Press)
After the likes of Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers taught them in 2011 that an NFL team can't have enough quality cornerbacks, the Broncos have expressed interest in acquiring Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel, according to two NFL sources.

However, the Broncos no longer believe they can strike a deal, even though trade talks advanced to the stage where the team presented two proposals — one for a late-round draft pick and the other involving a player.

It is well known the Eagles have been trying to deal Samuel, a four-time Pro Bowler, before the NFL draft begins Thursday. Several other teams also have been in talks with the Eagles in recent days about Samuel.

Samuel, 31, was a college teammate at Central Florida of Broncos kicker Matt Prater and former Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall in 2002. Drafted in the fourth round by New England in 2003, Samuel had 10 interceptions for the Patriots in 2006, was franchised in 2007 and signed a six-year, $59.5 million contract as a free agent with Philadelphia prior to 2008.

Samuel has two years left on his contract — $10 million, counting a $100,000 offseason workout bonus this season, and $11.5 million, counting the $100,000 workout bonus in 2013.

None of that money is guaranteed, so the expectation is Samuel would have to alter his contract for a trade to be done.

It's mildly surprising that the Broncos showed interest in Samuel, considering they already have 11-time Pro Bowler Champ Bailey at left corner and just signed free agent Tracy Porter to a one-year, $4 million guaranteed deal for the right side.

However, Porter and Bailey have experience at the inside nickel position. And the Broncos believe that after they were torched by passing-rich Green Bay, Detroit and New England last season, having three quality cornerbacks is becoming more of a necessity in today's NFL than a luxury.

The Packers (49 points), Lions (45) and Patriots (41 and 45)

BLOG: FIRST-AND-ORANGE

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and more on this blog dedicated to the Denver Broncos.

combined for 180 points in four games against the Broncos in 2011. Rodgers, Matthew Stafford and Brady combined for 15 touchdown passes in those four games and averaged 339.5 yards passing.
The Broncos were offering either their fifth- or sixth-round pick in next week's draft in exchange for Samuel, who had nine interceptions for the Eagles in 2009, seven in 2010 and three last season.

While Samuel is still considered one of the league's top cornerbacks, the Eagles have put him on the trading block because of the big money left on his contract and the fact the team acquired two other quality cornerbacks last season in Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

If the Broncos can't land Samuel, they could take a cornerback in the first three rounds of the upcoming draft.

Read more: Broncos expressed interest in Eagles CB Asante Samuel - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/c...ng-cb-asante-samuel-sources-say#ixzz1ssa8nfT5
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Link: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20438104/broncos-now-chasing-cb-asante-samuel-sources-say

What gives me pause about the idea of grabbing Samuel-who I admit would be an instant upgrade to our secondary-is the problem with, as has been mentioned, the money issue.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports the Eagles received a trade offer from the Denver Broncos for CB Asante Samuel, an NFL source said. The Denver Post first reported the Broncos' interest in the four-time Pro Bowler. According to the newspaper, Denver had two offers on the table - one involving a fifth- or sixth-round pick in next week's draft, the other for an unnamed player. The Eagles were believed to be seeking a third- or fourth-round pick for Samuel, but are willing to take less than that, according to two NFL sources. So what is the hang-up? While Samuel has agreed to restructure the remaining two years of his contract - he's slated to earn $10 million this season and $11.5 million next season - he has yet to consent to some other requests by Denver, sources said. The Eagles have been talking with other teams about Samuel, who has beenon and off the market since last summer after the team acquired CB Nnamdi Asomugha and CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

Link: http://www.ffmastermind.com/quickbits.php

I can't seem to dismiss the idea that Bruce/Mike are watching their finances and player investment strategy pretty closely as a "hedge" maneuver to avoid putting the Redskins in a serious bind in case the effort to interdict the NFL cap space reduction fails.

I'd like Samuel but I don't think he'd fit in the budget with a reduced cap space without seriously crimping the Redskins flexibility in filling other needs.

I can't seem to dismiss the idea that Bruce/Mike are watching their finances and player investment strategy pretty closely as a "hedge" maneuver to avoid putting the Redskins in a serious bind in case the effort to interdict the NFL cap space reduction fails.

I'd like Samuel but I don't think he'd fit in the budget with a reduced cap space without seriously crimping the Redskins flexibility in filling other needs.

With talk that we'll be signing LB Bryan Kehl today, does anyone besides me wonder if we didn't already "secretly" get some of that cap space back? If we DID end up with Samuel, I'd have to wonder even louder. ;)

Samuel is on the wrong side of 30 and the Redskins are not going to be contenders this season. He will be 33/34 when the team really needs a cb for the stretch run and he will be long gone by then.

Take the Patriots route and find a corner in Round 4 like they did in 2003.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

BD, while I know we need OL, I wouldn't be opposed to taking a CB in the 3rd round if our FO doesn't want Samuel for a couple of years.

In the past, Mike Shanahan has never really been a "rebuilding" type of guy. He's always thought he could win immediately. Perhaps Bruce Allen has tempered that thinking and is steering him down the correct path after the McNabb fiasco. If he steers clear of Samuel then that would likely be the case. Otherwise.....well......

Don't usually agree with BT, but he's right in this instance. This is one of the more CB-rich drafts in recent memory, and there will be someone in the 3rd-4th round who can get the job done.

Well, he's been "for sale" for quite a while now. And NOBODY is buying.

We shouldn't either.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter
The Falcons now are involved in discussions to trade for Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel, according to sources in Atlanta.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter
The Falcons now are involved in discussions to trade for Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel, according to sources in Atlanta.

Side note: you should follow Jay Glazer - its where Schefter steals a lot of his information from. :)

Side note: you should follow Jay Glazer - its where Schefter steals a lot of his information from. :)

Thanks for the reminder, I was following a while back, but something goofy happened with my account and I dropped him. Knew I was missing something...

Maybe Ryman, maybe. But you also have to have the cap space to handle it and we are tight on that right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.