• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Rumor: Niles Paul Moving To Tight End--Is Cooley Gone?

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Twitter is abuzz right now because of two tweets today. One from Niles Paul saying he has a big secret for fans that he is about to announce, and another confirming that he is in fact working out with our tight ends, from Skins reporter Grant Paulsen.

Paul has put on twenty pounds this offseason, and if he can keep much of that 4.4 speed, he could be insane.

Is this the end of Cooley? Thoughts?

Or just a safety precaution for Davis?

Last edited:
I think it's a precaution on both fronts.... Davis screws up, or Cooly isn't healthy.

Huh. That's fairly interesting. I suspect Miles is right that it is a precaution. Still, pretty interesting idea. Perhaps Cooley's rehab isn't up to speed? This also could be a sign that the coaching staff has finally gotten around to watching tape from NE's Hernandez and Gronk, and figured two TE sets might work well.

Well, last year they had Sellers practicing in that position most of the season and he only saw a handful of sets at TE in real time. And if Paul is weighing 235 and still running a 4.4 that is crazy! I just don't recall him getting open a lot last year, hence the resurgence of Gaffney and Stallworth toward the end of the season. Maybe his size will help him get some push on the line of scrimmage.

However, I do have the feeling that Cooley might be gone. It all depends on how he has looked on the field the past few days. How much step has he lost/gained?

Huh. That's fairly interesting. I suspect Miles is right that it is a precaution. Still, pretty interesting idea. Perhaps Cooley's rehab isn't up to speed? This also could be a sign that the coaching staff has finally gotten around to watching tape from NE's Hernandez and Gronk, and figured two TE sets might work well.

They ran a significant amount of 2TE sets last year, I believe.

In theory, it could also be a possible sign that they are considering using Cooley as trade bait.

They were really high on Niles when they drafted him and after camp - I believe Shanahan even said something about how good he was going to be. Maybe he's not the elite type of WR who will make a bad QB look good, but with someone who's going to get him the ball regularly, he'll be dominant?

Cooley and Moss bear watching. Both are still carrying cap numbers equating to a productive starter and it isn't clear now if either is still a starter in the NFL.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

He would absolutely toast linebackers. I love this move actually. It also opens up more playing time for another WR that we might not want to let go.

This and Gaffney's supposed impending departure might explain why we went out and picked up a few more WRs this offseason.

1. Is Niles Paul a good blocker? Yes, you say? Hmmmmm, seems like a good move to put him at TE after gaining more muscle and size.

2. Is Niles Paul a good receiver? Maybe, you say? Hmmmmm, seems like a good move to put a very fast player who has WR skills at TE and use him in two TE sets.

3. Is Niles Paul a replacement for Mike Sellers? Could be, but the Redskins are expected to sign Owen Schmitt in the coming days.

4. Has Niles Paul lost a step with the extra weight? Nope. He has the same speed on a larger frame.

5. Does this rule out the chance of taking a TE later in the draft? Possibly, but having a bunch of bodies at training camp is a good thing.

6. What does this mean for Chris Cooley? Best offer for TE with a wicked sense of humor and a good locker room presence.

Hope that answers your questions - maybe it doesn't. :)

Cooley is 6.2 million against the cap.

That's a lot. I don't see that continuing much longer.

Cooley is 6.2 million against the cap.

That's a lot. I don't see that continuing much longer.

If that number is correct, I would think the only way we keep him is to restructure his contract. I could see him included in a draft day trade.

With the uncertainty of his recovery, few, if any, teams will trade for that contract.

Personally, I hope we keep him. Restructure if we have to.

Then hope by midseason the talk is, "I can't believe I wanted us to trade/cut this guy!"

Recall the adage I would rather deal a guy one year early than one year too late?

We have to be careful with Cooley and Moss. At their age and coming off accumulated injuries these guys take up $8M plus against the cap.

What we don't want to see is either player on the bench or IR early and having to eat their salaries while we start rookies.

If there is an OL or TE or other veteran who becomes available after the draft, we need to stay open to the idea of cutting either player and making the signing.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Yeah, thats always the hard thing to balance.

You'd rather give him away a year early and get something, than wait a year too long and get nothing (in fact, have to pay out a contract).

But I also think there is something to treating certain players certain ways... We drafted cooley, and for years we had a team full of overpaid yet under performing athletes; but during that time cooley was consistently producing. As a team that (in the past) seldom rewarded their own, and constantly gave big contracts to free agents who 'proved' themselves elsewhere, I'd like to see us do right by Cooley.

That said, if the guy wants to keep playing and make bigger bucks elsewhere we have to allow him to do so. I just hope there's some way they can wind down his career and keep him here, and transition him into an off the field position going forward.

I'd hate to see cooley leave with a bad taste in his mouth. There simply aren't that many players worth rooting for from the last 10 years :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.