A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Default Does Political Posturing In An Election Year Help Or Hurt A Candidate?

Honest question. I know when I see a candidate for any public office that makes major moves in an election year, I almost always attempt to sniff out their motives before I even consider praising their efforts. Am I the only one who does this?

There are a few things that brought this to mind. Anyone who has watched the news in the last few days has heard the tired phrase "Taxmageddon" endlessly used to the point you have turned the channel. President Obama has made it clear that he will go above and beyond to keep this from happening. The problem I have with it, is I don't believe either party will allow it to happen, and I fear President Obama will make this an 11th hour issue to position himself as a savior to millions just before the election by taking credit for preventing something that is most likely not a real threat to happen anyway. It's all a facade.

Another example is the Keystone XL pipeline. This time a few months ago, he made it seem pretty clear that there was no way he would ever allow this to happen. Then today, word comes out that it is back on, making millions happy in an election year. Even though it is clear the President is likely against the idea.

Then you have gas prices. For nearly four years, the President has made little attempt to stop the surge in gas prices. Now that election day is getting closer, he is beginning to take a tough stance against Wall Street speculators, and demanding investigations and policing. It's a good thing, and I agree with it, but for me it's too little too late. He had nearly four years to do this, but waited until the price of gas surged over $4 a gallon, effectively killing our wallets, and resulting in major inflation in millions of other products before he decided it would be a good idea? It's not like this all happened overnight.

There are more examples, and as I stated, they all do it. These are just the major and most recent ones going on. I almost get sick to my stomach when politicians put on these fake theatrical performances. It makes it look like they have no faith in their record, and they are desperate to distract from that and win as much favor as possible. We as Americans generally have very good short term memory and very bad long term memory, so his campaign ads will most certainly be nothing but stuff he's done this year, rather than the past few years. Fill the airwaves with positives and deflect the rest.

The scariest part is, I'm not convinced that the average American can see through the smoke and mirrors. All that said, I'll still support him over Romney. The devil you know and all.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

I agree completely. We had a mayor here in Virginia Beach for over 20 years. She started off great, and everyone loved her. Then she got in the pocket of developers, and the people didn't matter anymore. But she ran unopposed for years, so she kept doing what she wanted.

Then Will Sessoms ran against her. He promised the world, promised to put the city back in the hands of the people, and promised to do what we elected him to do. Instead, he ignores us worse than she did, and pushes everything we're against. His excuse? We don't know what's best. We might not, but I'd bet a dollar to a donut that tearing down mom and pop shops and houses to build hotels and decorative walkabouts for the rich isn't what's best.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.