A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BGO
    Honored Guest

B ANNOUNCEMENT: Read Before You Post Here

We don’t talk about them every day on BGO, but What We’re About’ can really be distilled down to 3 simple things:

1. Providing a comprehensive, satisfying experience for fans of the Washington Redskins.
    2. Fostering and encouraging a sense of community and tone of mutual respect.
    3. Giving our members good old-fashioned customer service.

We know that part of #1, providing you a comprehensive, satisfying experience, includes creating a place where you can have the conversations you all decide you want to have. We’ve never desired or planned to ‘limit’ discussion here.

And we’re not going to.

So we’re opening the Political Asylum again for business. You know what kinds of conversations go here – all things political, religious, or otherwise controversial or contentious. And if you have a doubt whether it goes here or not, trust us, it probably goes here.

But as we fling the gates open again, let us also remind you all about #2 above. We WILL foster and encourage a sense of community and tone of mutual respect. We will do it with you, or without you if necessary. We built this place to be *different* from your average internet watering hole. And we’re committed to that.

You don’t have to agree with our ‘vision’. But you won’t be a part of it in the future if you don’t respect it. This forum has been almost free of moderation, and certainly absent the kind of heavy-handed and threat-based moderation seen on other sites, up till now. We will moderate here. We will moderate aggressively here. If you are not respectful, civil, neighborly, and polite in this forum – you will simply disappear for awhile. And that won’t be about power-hungry moderation, it’ll be about #3 above.

Because those members who can discuss any and all topics with respect, courtesy, and class deserve us ensuring that they don’t have to put up with those that can’t, won’t, or don’t return the favor.

So enjoy the forum. It’s here again because we know many of you enjoy these conversations. But better read the rules over the bar on your way in. We won’t enjoy enforcing them – but we will enforce them.

- The BGO Owners
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

I'm scared

.....but apparently I'm on a distinguished road. Is there an explanation for this green dot somewhere that I missed?
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Seeing green dots again Extreme?

Stop licking the green dots, and you'll stop seeing green dots.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Seeing green dots again Extreme?

Stop licking the green dots, and you'll stop seeing green dots.
    I actually thought it was pretty cool. Tasted like fruit punch too. We should have it at the virtual tailgates
    0 0 0 0

Resident Caps Fan
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Green dots? Is there a joke I'm missing?
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    Green dots? Is there a joke I'm missing?
    Oh it's no joke. They were everywhere.

And they were delicious.

And they were leading us all down a distinguished road.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

Awesome. Jumbo Nazi's
    0 0 0 0

Formerly known as ...............Sarge

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

Tell ya what, Sarge. If you do something similar to the "Blaze of Glory" stuff at the "other" place, I'll guarantee to peep in-damn but that was fun to read!

Of course earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis get my adrenalin going too.

I understand if you aren't interested or terribly enthused though.
    0 0 0 0

I'm giving it a 2-4 year window. Looking for improvement in all areas. Redskins, you're on the clock.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Awesome. Jumbo Nazi's
    What the hell is a Jumbo Nazi?
    0 0 0 0

You ain't bonafide

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

What the hell is a Jumbo Nazi?
    This guy?

0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

At the rate this is going, I will have to move this thread to the 5 O'Clock club.
    0 0 0 0

hailus redskinnus
    COYS

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Virginia

0 0 0 0

The simplicity in me is complicated.
    I live in my own little world, but that's ok. They know me here.
    Redskins Fan - Emeritus

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by servumtuum View Post
    Tell ya what, Sarge. If you do something similar to the "Blaze of Glory" stuff at the "other" place, I'll guarantee to peep in-damn but that was fun to read!

Of course earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis get my adrenalin going too.

I understand if you aren't interested or terribly enthused though.

A post that will live in internet infamy

http://www.extremeskins.com/archive/.../t-261498.html

Blaze of GloryOctober-15th-2008, 09:36 AM
    Where the hell has Sarge been? He posted a couple of weeks ago but I haven't seem him since.

I heard he’s around somewhere. Quick, do a screen capture. This thread will disappear faster than a policy statement on Obama’s website

He bought some time off a few days ago after having used one too many racial slurs.

No, I er……..he bought some time off for having a bit of fun. Something you used to be able to do here. Before the dark times. Before the Empire. Right Rick?http://www.extremeskins.com/showthre...=260833&page=6 (http://www.extremeskins.com/showthre...=260833&page=6)

So I guess you can still have some fun, or pile on, if you’re liberal. Or post a thousand derogatory Palin/McCain threads without being accused of “trolling”………………….if you’re liberal.

Cute Sarge.

From the "you girls done?" post to the "sly" little "towelhead" ditty in this thread, to the multiple posts lined up in your user notes that fit the troll definiton just over the last few weeks (along with several other goodies), to your whining in threads and PMs about staff and forum rules, you continue to hang yourself.

In important ways you and I have a lot in common and we share some very fundamental views, but all that's immaterial.

When it comes to being more than a familiar internet forum caricature of an instigator, your posting behaviors simply hurt your case more often than not.

I think it's unfortunate that several staff have talked to you over the years, not even copnting our conversations, and after all this time you still not do not understand the rules or seem able to just behave like something other than a wind-up troll half the time. For a guy who works for "alphabet soup" secret agencies in his retirement (maybe like I fly spaceships, I dunno) you sure seem to have difficulty with things not in code.

So guess what, Sarge--since you keep sticking it out there, consider it smacked really hard. Warning time and private talk time is now a thing of the past for you. Maybe it's even time to for you find another board where you can do all the "towelhead" and "raghead" and "turd world" you need, and hate to your hearts content on the "lefties" and "libtards", and do all those little two-liner troll posts in thread after thread, btu do it all in better company.

Otherwise, see ya back here after we all get a long break. Be well.

BTW, this post is not permission for a bunch of other folks to do a pile on. The rules are still the rules.

I’ll tell ya what. First, you have my home email. Drop me a line. I’ll send it to my unsecure account at work and I’ll send it back to you. The address contains the three letters of the agency I work for. Maybe then you can show us all a picture of your Mothership.

Second, and while you’re being proven wrong……..

You made the assertation that old mods never talk

What about Tarhog?

The weird thing is I just searched the member list and his name isn't there. As if he never existed...

Indeed. Why don’t you and the boys explain what happened to Tarhog? Why he doesn’t even have an account here anymore. Why one of the most respected and popular members will never been seen again. And remember, as far as who talked, the most obvious answer isn’t always the right answer.

Funny, I always thought of you as a smart fella. But why in the world you would think that people that were here YEARS before you made the scene don’t talk off site is beyond me. And funny how a lot of old members that were here before you are no longer here either.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Anyway, and for the record. Truth be told, I was pretty much settled that I was leaving the Tailgate after the elections, and the site after the season. The Tailgate moderation has become decidedly one sided to the left ( As demonstrated by your own post trying to tie Palin to AIP, in a non-biased way of course) and your moderation attempts gag certain people’s replies or to run certain people of certain political persuasions off the board are more than transparent. I mean, God forbid you call the gay lifestyle perverted. Or certain muslims terrorists. But it’s cool to have a few dozen far out rumor threads about Palin the weekend she’s nominated with no moderator intervention or accusations of trolling at all.

Hmmmmmmm

And the Stadium. I won’t even go there. My only suggestion if you don’t believe what the general consensus is about the Stadium is to put up a poll.

Oh, and please stop with the “Benevolent and Kind Moderator” schtick. You and I have had what, 3-4 PM’s at most? And in my eight years here I’ve been PM’ed maybe 10-15 times. Funny thing is when you brought this up, you failed to bring up certain other “notes and other goodies”, like when Art posted a few years ago that a person who had been shot a by a certain group of people that have towels on their heads pretty much has a right to call that group whatever they want to call them. I mean, let’s bring up everything since I seem to be on some Double Secret Probation here.

Seems a little strange that the old guard never had a problem with my posts, and yet you boys show up and suddenly I’m a “troll”, although I haven’t changed my posting habits at all in the whole time I’ve been here. I wonder why that is? And since I now know (From talking to one or more former mods) that it’s not the danny mandating that you all be act the way you do, that leaves only you all being responsible for ‘moderating “ the way you do with certain actions/leanings

Hmmmmm

And speaking of being hypocritical

[quote=Jumbo;5681588]
    I don't play in MSF-land much, rarely post in with any of his innumerable threads, but I have talked to him straight, respectfully, and seriously, a few times. I don't waste time on how much of what he does here is sincere, or how much he's playing around, because it doesn't matter.

I think MSF is a fine and interesting fellow despite all the extreme points of views he presents. He usually presents them within the rules and in an acceptable manner. I have banned him and un-banned him and always been straight with him. I think he's just whatever he wants to be here and that's that.

Guess that’s good for certain folks and not others, eh? At least for six months

I don't think I do have a good answer for it to be honest.

As a staff, we try to be as liberal as possible with regard to allowing people to pretty much say what they want. Like it or not, it's what drives discussion around here.

Where the staff normally steps in is when it becomes vindictive- and is not really furthering an argument or discussion. Or of course when things blatantly get out of hand with regard to the rules. Trolling is one of them.

But MSF's views are his own, and right or wrong, he is entitled. We normally let that kind of thing slide, albeit with the occasional warning- no matter how dispicable that view is. That goes for all members, not just MSF.

But I do admit, I am at a loss to answer your question. Sounds like we need to re-address it. It's something we'll have to discuss.

In the meantime, one thing is abundantly clear, and that is the clear violation of the Trolling rule. Several long time members are on either permanent or extended vacations for this very thing. And MSF has been warned about what constitutes trolling around these parts.

So with that- this thread is done.

And $$$$$, you might be done too, quite frankly that's to be determined shortly. If for no other reason than trolling alone- which has been enough to end the stay of several other long time members.

Don’t we know. Too bad when you want to get rid of someone nowadays or yo don’t like their POV’s, they’re just slapped with the “troll” sticker. So much for what “Drives discussion”

In important ways you and I have a lot in common and we share some very fundamental views, but all that's immaterial.

Don’t flatter yourself

Anyway, to my friends here, it’s been fun. Watch your backs.

To my fans and military buds, rendezvous at our favorite military board

To you Godless, communist libs, it’s been fun as well. One day you’ll see the light

Just remember, especially in four years, Sarge told you so

Take it easy fellas, and if it comes easy, take it twice

This thread will self destruct in five seconds (With some help)

Over and out in a Blaze of Glory

Sarge

And yes, I did tell you all so, didn't I?

Oh, and a "Jumbo Nazi" Surely you can't have forgotten the numerous times you got called "Nazi" over there.

And Jumbo

0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

I don't really know what to say all that - other than that I know you're a good guy Sarge (as I suspect anyone on any other site we might mention also knows). I'm not sure what the relevance of that here is - I'd hope that you're simply pointing out the sharp contrast here - that when we suggest we will *moderate* here (and we WILL), the shape and form that takes will be a) fair, b) consistent, c) respectful (even as we moderate), and d) for the good of the board, not because we enjoy it, pine for it, or need to lord over you with our 'authority'.

If anyone feels we'd do differently, I'd really be disappointed.
    0 0 0 0

You ain't bonafide

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Virginia

I think it is just a look back and laugh at it now sort of thing. I'm still a member there and will post something on occasion, but this is more of a home - the size is right and everyone has an honest say in things (meaning football mostly and anything related to the team).

I'm still on the fence about it. Like El said earlier, we know of one another's beliefs now and we have argued every point of view into oblivion.

One other thing. Just want to say that and along with is really how I feel! So you can and from now on.

0 0 0 0

The simplicity in me is complicated.
    I live in my own little world, but that's ok. They know me here.
    Redskins Fan - Emeritus

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

I don't really know what to say all that - other than that I know you're a good guy Sarge (as I suspect anyone on any other site we might mention also knows). I'm not sure what the relevance of that here is - I'd hope that you're simply pointing out the sharp contrast here - that when we suggest we will *moderate* here (and we WILL), the shape and form that takes will be a) fair, b) consistent, c) respectful (even as we moderate), and d) for the good of the board, not because we enjoy it, pine for it, or need to lord over you with our 'authority'.

If anyone feels we'd do differently, I'd really be disappointed.
    I'm just bustin' your all's balls a bit. Sometimes that doesn't convey over the internet well. And yes, that post points out perfectly the contrast in styles between here and there.

Plus Serv was practically begging for an encore

It's all good
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

that was a fun read sarge.

there's a reason i'm here as well. much of it has to do with stuff mentioned in your post, and much of it has to do with BB's post as well.

i think if we stick to being respectful and actually trying to discuss things, the forum will run smoothly.

if you're not willing to open your mind and consider other perspectives and view points, then there's no point in joining the discussion. if you're just joining to hammer one side while supporting your side and ignoring the actual topic and actual discussion then you're going to get it shut down again
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sorry....these are not times for frilly discussions. these are times for action. it is a watershed moment in history...whether some grasp the significance or not. most do...they are already committed. so why the pretension?
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Probably because this is a football forum, that the owners have generously expanded to encompass other topics, so long as we play by their rules.

Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    Probably because this is a football forum, that the owners have generously expanded to encompass other topics, so long as we play by their rules.

Posted With Tapatalk
    as interpreted by you and others. but that's cool. I have known the owners through cyberspace since the late 90s. great folks!
    0 0 0 0