• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Salary Cap Hearing Set For May

Apparently this hearing is just about whether or not the committee had a right to punish them, not about the cap space itself (that's what I read, anyway). If they determine that the committee acted out of bounds, they'll schedule a second hearing to determine how much cap space will be given back.

Wow! The article I posted the link to, has changed since I posted it.

Just like NFL rules. Unwritten, or otherwise.

May 10th. Hearing to be held in Philly.

Last edited:
By the time this is hashed out there won't be anyone left to sign even if the Redskins and Dallas win, so for 2012 it's moot.

Will be good for a break on the 2013 cap, though, obviously.

The NFL I think knew what it was doing - it wanted to prevent Washington and Dallas from being able to come out of the lockout and immediately hit the ground running.

If the cap space or a portion of it is returned for next season, the NFL and its conservative clique of owners will get the delayed benefit they were hoping for.

Will be good for a break on the 2013 cap, though, obviously.

Actually, this might be the best scenario. By the end of 2012, the Redskins will know what they have with LuckGIII, and will have a better idea of what he needs to succeed.

Does anyone really think the Colts are not going to select Luck?

Washington is in a great spot because Shanahan can always say there were two top qb prospects and he chose the one that was available to him.

The Colts, though, after 2-14 and letting Manning go have to get this right.

That says to me they take the player that has been the consensus #1 prospect in college football the past 2 years.

The Colts are taking Luck.

They have to.

Unless of course Irsay is just bizarre enough to take RG3 just so he can say "nyah nyah."

heh

The Colts are taking Luck.

They have to.

Unless of course Irsay is just bizarre enough to take RG3 just so he can say "nyah nyah."

heh

Dude has shown over the past year that he is an attention whore. I wouldn't be a bit surprised!

Does anyone really think the Colts are not going to select Luck?

Washington is in a great spot because Shanahan can always say there were two top qb prospects and he chose the one that was available to him.

The Colts, though, after 2-14 and letting Manning go have to get this right.

That says to me they take the player that has been the consensus #1 prospect in college football the past 2 years.

What I *think* and what will happen are two very different things. I won't celebrate RGIII as the savior of the Redskins until I hear his name called with the 2nd overall pick. To do otherwise is folly, IMO.

What I *think* and what will happen are two very different things. I won't celebrate RGIII as the savior of the Redskins until I hear his name called with the 2nd overall pick. To do otherwise is folly, IMO.
Hmm. I' hope you're not really going to call him a franchise savior even when they DO call his name. The only things we know at this point are that he's coming here (he is you know), and that he has monster potential. Seems to me the automatic leap from here to 'franchise savior' come next Thursday is a tiny bit follyicious too. :)

Hmm. I' hope you're not really going to call him a franchise savior even when they DO call his name. The only things we know at this point are that he's coming here (he is you know), and that he has monster potential. Seems to me the automatic leap from here to 'franchise savior' come next Thursday is a tiny bit follyicious too. :)

That is how he is being touted by almost everyone, no? The very website you own has made t-shirts comparing RGIII to Superman. Comments about a franchise QB are being bandied about pretty regularly, as well as praise for the young man. Comments about the Redskins not having a franchise QB since Sonny are also being thrown around very loosely. Yes, there are no guarantees, but my post was definitely not the first to call him the franchise savior.

EDIT: And I'm glad you're confident we'll hear his name on draft day, but I will wait until I actually hear it to proclaim anything about the new Redskins QB, franchise savior or otherwise. We've seen this movie before, where a team says they'd draft one player and ended up taking another one.

Didn't say it was, LL.

The t-shirts are for fun and to raise a little operating capital for the site. Not an affirmative statement that BGO's believes the man is a franchise savior. Hey, dude wears Superman socks. It made sense. :)

But let's forget all that and what everyone else thinks. When they call his name next week, are you going to "celebrate RG3 as the savior of the Redskins"?

Didn't say it was, LL.

The t-shirts are for fun and to raise a little operating capital for the site. Not an affirmative statement that BGO's believes the man is a franchise savior. Hey, dude wears Superman socks. It made sense. :)

But let's forget all that and what everyone else thinks. When they call his name next week, are you going to "celebrate RG3 as the savior of the Redskins"?

Of course I will. The Redskins mortgaged the future on this kid, the Shanahans are giddy about coaching him, he looks like Steve Young with Mike Vick's athleticism, and he's probably the most likeable prospect since, who knows, I can't even think of anyone.

But beyond that, I HAVE to think he'll be a franchise savior. Its in my B&G DNA. :)

By the time this is hashed out there won't be anyone left to sign even if the Redskins and Dallas win, so for 2012 it's moot.

I want to chime in on this, because I keep reading/hearing references to how this has impacted our free agency. Below is information I was not aware of until JI Halsell talked about them on the Sports Fix the other day. I think it paitns a pretty clear picture that the skins were really able to do whatever they needed to, with the exception of having to rework some current contracts come end of august (which we've never, ever had a problem doing btw).

Your salaries towards the cap work like this in the offseason: only the top 50 paid players even count towards the cap. So you can have 100 people on your books, but only the top 50 players will contracts will even count. So we can sign whoever we want, for however much we want, as long as the top 50 don't exceed the cap limit.

After the fourth preseason game, when the final cuts are down to 53, thats when your entire books (53 + practice squad) start counting towards the cap.

These penalties haven't kept us from offering contracts to people and renegotiating things to fit under the cap. I'm not really sure how much the cap space has actually impacted our ability to sign the players we wanted to. Unless a redskins official comes out and says 'yeah, we wanted to sign so and so but couldn't even make an offer because of the penalty' (which I can't possibly believe happened) i'll be inclined to believe it's more public comment to express displeasure than actual truth.

I agree that the money can be worked around. We've done it for years.

In my world, we'll be awarded compensatory draft picks next year, like a 3rd & 4th. Cowboys get a 7th.

We both get half our stolen cap back.

Mara, and Goodell are lovers. And for these purposes, there's definitely something wrong with that.

I've said it from day 1 - the NFL better be careful - this escalates beyond arbitration and they might get more than they bargained for...

The NFL contends that, because the NFL Players Association consented to the imposition of cap penalties, the Cowboys and Redskins have no grounds to attack the agreement under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which governs the relationship between the league and the players.

Well isn't that part of the problem? The league strong-armed the NFLPA into consenting to the sanctions with the threat of lowering the salary cap if they didn't. Isn't that also collusion?

I don't see Burbank allowing this to be dismissed. It would make him look weak, like he was taking the easy way out or he would appear to be a lackey for the NFL. I think the hearing goes on as scheduled.

Also, I think this nixes any chance of a settlement. Not sure if either side is even willing to settle but this makes me think the NFL is not even considering it.

As Flounder from Animal House would say, "I hope we score!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.