• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Pardon me for asking but???

redskins26

The Team Captain
Reaction score
Military Branch
Navy
What happened to the political thread?

We felt things were well out of control in there 26, and closed that forum. We're still discussing options on that front.

they missed me that much that things got out of hand LOL

shrugging_shoulders2.jpg

Yeah, it's a shame it got shut down because beavises couldn't control themselves on a message board. I read through one of the last threads in that forum...just shaking my head. :(

Politics and Religion best NOT for friends to discuss them

Look what it has done to my country

Eh, people just need to accept that not everybody agrees with their point of view.

And, if your skin isn't thick enough to withstand the abrasions of an internet message board, then life is gonna treat you like a red-headed step child until the day you die.

An organized knife fight, is still a knife fight. Bring a blade, or don't come at all.

Eh, people just need to accept that not everybody agrees with their point of view.

And, if your skin isn't thick enough to withstand the abrasions of an internet message board, then life is gonna treat you like a red-headed step child until the day you die.

An organized knife fight, is still a knife fight. Bring a blade, or don't come at all.
That was my basic argument against closing it. That, and the fact that a lot of very interesting things and newsworthy stories worth discussing are politically based, and talking on a board at one of the news sites is impossible to keep up with.

Although, it probably didn't help that every time **** hit the fan, it was the same few people (myself included) involved :D

Those threads were basically the same 4-5 people riding the same party lines over and over again. Kind of became pointless for anyone else to visit or chime in.

It's fine to say everyone should have a thicker skin. Everyone should know better than to show their *** too - but that doesn't make it magically happen.

Bottom line everybody - this site isn't for everyone. We expect members to act like grown-ups and, if we're being honest - we expect people to be friendly and reasonably respectful to each other here. We're not the Democratic Underground or GOPUSA - we're a community of friends with a shared passion for the Washington Redskins. You want to treat each other like enemies and be assholes to one another, there are plenty of other places for you to hang.

It's really not complicated.

We'll come to some kind of decision shortly about the future of political, religious, and other controversial topics here - and you know what - we'll probably allow those topics (we never wanted to limit the conversation here to begin with). But we may have a new attitude and response when people totally ignore our requests to keep it civil.

As children, at an age before any of us remember much, we begin a lifelong effort to learn rules, and then either accept and/or challenge them. We learn to move around within their confines, and make them work to our own advantage, and sometimes even to the advantage of others, so long as they don't conflict with our own. It's in the DNA.

It would be impossible to come up with a perfect arena to discuss such consistently passionate subjects. That there was an effort to provide for more realistic debate, in a virtual world, was a noble effort.

Too much regulation keeps the tone civil, but takes away from the reality of true expression. People do not passionately debate in person, the way the limits of a message board can restrict them to do.

Too little regulation skews things the other way. Things are said in the safety of cyberspace that might cost a tooth or two in the real world. When both parties can pretty much fire at will, they inevitably, will.

As for myself, I don't recall much happening in the PA that I thought, wouldn't. I found it all very entertaining. Both as an observer to the mayhem, and a contributor. I don't believe I've ever taken the first swing at anybody. But I have, and I saw others did as well, returned a smack to the back of the head, with a bazooka shot to the face. I see it as, if you want to take an unwarranted shot at me, there are no limits to my retaliation of choice. Other than the rules of the forum.

Which brings us back to the beginning. Rules.

The rules in place at the time, made it possible for things to go exactly as they did. This is no fault of the creators. It's in the DNA.

"Give'm an inch, they'll take a mile"

As children, at an age before any of us remember much, we begin a lifelong effort to learn rules, and then either accept and/or challenge them. We learn to move around within their confines, and make them work to our own advantage, and sometimes even to the advantage of others, so long as they don't conflict with our own. It's in the DNA.

It would be impossible to come up with a perfect arena to discuss such consistently passionate subjects. That there was an effort to provide for more realistic debate, in a virtual world, was a noble effort.

Too much regulation keeps the tone civil, but takes away from the reality of true expression. People do not passionately debate in person, the way the limits of a message board can restrict them to do.

Too little regulation skews things the other way. Things are said in the safety of cyberspace that might cost a tooth or two in the real world. When both parties can pretty much fire at will, they inevitably, will.

As for myself, I don't recall much happening in the PA that I thought, wouldn't. I found it all very entertaining. Both as an observer to the mayhem, and a contributor. I don't believe I've ever taken the first swing at anybody. But I have, and I saw others did as well, returned a smack to the back of the head, with a bazooka shot to the face. I see it as, if you want to take an unwarranted shot at me, there are no limits to my retaliation of choice. Other than the rules of the forum.

Which brings us back to the beginning. Rules.

The rules in place at the time, made it possible for things to go exactly as they did. This is no fault of the creators. It's in the DNA.

"Give'm an inch, they'll take a mile"

That's really a great post Ax :cheers:

Here's to hoping, having abandoned the 'Wild West', and eschewing censorship and topic-restriction, that we find some reasonable place in between and get it 'just right'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.