• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Economist: Trademarks: Rosetta Stone vs. Google

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Pretty interesting, and has some far reaching permutations, I would think.

HERE'S a story that plays into language in two different ways. Rosetta Stone has sued Google. Rosetta Stone makes whiz-bang, heavily marketed language-learning software. I reviewed it in 2006, and found it nifty, but wanting, for reasons laid out on this blog a couple of years ago. (Any readers that have used a newer version are encouraged to update us in the comments. I know that some flaws have been fixed in more recent versions.)

Rosetta Stone's qualities aside, our second linguistic issue is intellectual property. What you can do with someone else's trademark name is a partly linguistic issue. (Ben Zimmer, linguist and lexicographer, weighed in on Apple's "app store" lawsuit, for example, and was cited in the case's legal briefs.) So: there are people who might be interested in Rosetta Stone. If they asked me about it, I might steer them to a different product, or at the very least, to products they should use alongside Rosetta Stone.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2012/04/trademarks?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/googlevrosettastone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.