• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Return of Homer

I read your entire post and appreciate it but I want to concentrate my response to this part.

"shut your mouth and block"
"he's a clown"

those are attack words and that is saying he is no good. Thats what I was responding to. Honestly Mike Sellers is one of the best FB's in the game as far as im concerned. Lorenzo Neal was another one too. They all drop passes and they all make mistakes. It happens. When Sellers leveled that Lions player we all jumped up and cheered. But let him drop one TD and...

a FB is not the reason the offense sputters so much..

O.K., Mike I think I finally got a handle on what's buggin' ya. Fans get emotional when talking about their team and responses are sometimes framed in anger, fear or usually both when the team is not performing. I, myself, try to cull out the emotion in phrases such as "shut your mouth and block" and "he's a clown" and look at the context of the statement being made-is there information being conveyed it is it just venting? Both situations happen and both are necessary. This is just how people are-especially fans. I'm guilty myself-in my previous post I gave vent to my anger at Snyder. There's a good deal of frustration around Skinsland right at the moment, and it's going to pop out from time to time-and sometimes it may sound harsh and even unfair-especially when aimed at one player.

"shut your mouth and block"
"he's a clown"

those are attack words and that is saying he is no good. Thats what I was responding to. Honestly Mike Sellers is one of the best FB's in the game as far as im concerned. Lorenzo Neal was another one too. They all drop passes and they all make mistakes. It happens. When Sellers leveled that Lions player we all jumped up and cheered. But let him drop one TD and...

a FB is not the reason the offense sputters so much..

Mike, I admire your passion! You are indeed a huge Redskins fan and I appreciate that greatly! But do me a favor and stop reading only what you want to read in my posts. Let's go back and review what I said about Sellers.

The first thing I said in my post was, "Mike, I like Sellers. When he is playing w/ hunger, he is awesome, a great blocker and he proved in one season with 6 TD's he can catch the ball."

Sellers is a proven FB. He made the Pro-Bowl last year and deserved it in my estimation so I acknowledged him as an awesome player! I went on to say, "But when I was at the training camp practices this summer, I was concerned about Sellers. He wasn't hungry, he was always clowning around, and when a couple of passes were thrown his way, he dropped them."

This is crucial for the point I am trying to make, all day long when I was there he was more interested in horse play and clowning not paying attention to running routes and paying attention to coaches. And when the ball was thrown his way during 8 on 8 drills on two separate occasions he dropped passes that hit him in the hands. Twice this happened and although I did not play football, I was involved in teams sports at an international level and I can tell you that when you practice hard, you play hard!

Mike, I sat 15ft away from the field and after taking over 500 pictures that day, the memory from that day that stuck with me the most was what a clown Sellers was on and off the field. Then, late in the pre-season he was the leader of a group of veterans that participated in hazing some of the rookies. Well correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Zorn emphatically denounce any sort of hazing?

I may be reading entirely too much into this, but as we watch our beloved Redskins under perform some are making the case that Zorn may be losing this team. I suggest that he may have lost it already by allowing juvenile antics on the practice field early on in Training Camp and pre-season.

Maybe I should not have used words like "shut up and play"? My intention was not to blame anything on Sellers, he dropped a pass that a few years ago under Gibbs would have been a certain completion. I am merely suggesting his focus and discipline may not be the same as it once once.

And most of all Mike, as a leader of this team, Mike Sellers needs to pull that catchable pass down for a TD!

My original point in bringing up Sellers was only to show that Zorn is failing to utilize the players who are being paid to make plays in the passing game.

Ditto with the play-calling that takes the ball out of Campbell's hands and puts it into the hands of Portis and ARE to make critical plays.

Zorn is showing his own anxiety and lack of trust in managing the games this way and only sets the team back further.

Blache is running the defense, Smith the ST.

Zorn is there 100 percent of the time to install an effective offensive system and manage Campbell in that system.

To me he is failing as there still doesn't appear to be any offensive identity.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Mike, I think I may about as passionate about the Skins as you are. haha! No offense taken, I think between the two of us we can be pretty stubborn.

I miss playing at a high level in sports. I think that is why I love watching the Redskins so much! So when I see things that my coach (who had a lot of success with us) would admonish, I wonder why at the professional level they are overlooked.

Sellers = Pro Bowl talent (he drops a catch he should have made)

Moss = Pro Bowl talent (he gets in a stupid tussle with Webster last week)

Zorn = inexperienced medium coach

Put those together and you have a strong willed vets who don't appear to need to focus on the fundamentals.

Our team is proving to be mediocre because it appears that the fundamental idea of discipline and respect for authority may be lost. I was always taught to do your talking on the field with your play!

I can't remember who was discussing it last week, but the trust does not seem to be there all around at this point in the season. A great leader would rally the troops. Let's hope Zorn can do that this week. And as important, I hope Jason Campbell can step up to become a leader on the field, and the veterans around him can do the same by being leaders themselves and acting like it in practice and in game time.

I was thinking about this last week as the game approached and neglected to bring this topic into discussions about the Rams game, but I think we (myself included) may be not be looking at a very important factor.

It would appear that some of the play calling was suspect. It is obvious that some of our veterans and even some younger players made some mistakes. It would appear that game clock management was not ideal toward the end of the game.

But I think one thing that may be overlooked is that Steve Spagnuolo was the head coach we faced yesterday. He does have intimate knowledge of our offense having faced us twice a year for the past ten or so years. There may not be a single coach in this league that knows our Offensive players better and how to call a game against us.

I just thought I would interject that variable into the equation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.