• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Re-Sign Golston, Torrence

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
April 10, 2012

REDSKINS RE-SIGN KEDRIC GOLSTON;
SIGN CB LEIGH TORRENCE

ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have re-signed unrestricted free agent defensive end Kedric Golston and signed unrestricted free agent cornerback Leigh Torrence. Terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Golston, 28, returns for his seventh NFL season in 2012, all with the Redskins. Last season, he played in nine games, finishing the season with 29 tackles (15 solo), three quarterback pressures, two tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks and one forced fumble.

Golston (6-4, 310) was originally drafted by the Redskins in the sixth round of the 2006 NFL Draft (196th overall). He has played in 82 regular season games with 44 starts and has compiled 250 career tackles (148 solo), seven sacks, two fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles. In addition, he has contributed on special teams, having blocked a field goal attempt and an extra point attempt during the 2007 season.

Golston played collegiately at Georgia as part of the team that won the school’s first SEC Championship in 20 years in 2005. Despite battling an elbow injury, as a senior, he recorded 21 tackles (13 solo), 1.5 sacks and 28 quarterback pressures, which ranked second on the team. He was also named the recipient of the 2005 Leon Farmer Strength and Conditioning Award.

Torrence (5-11, 179) returns to the Redskins for his second stint after spending his previous three NFL seasons with the New Orleans Saints. In 25 games for the Redskins from 2006-08 after being signed off waivers during Week 17 of the 2006 season, he compiled 42 tackles, one sack and two passes defensed. He was waived on Nov. 8, 2008, and eventually being claimed off waivers by the Saints on Nov. 10.

Torrence, 30, has played in 73 regular season games, with one start, in his seven-year career and recorded 94 tackles (68 solo), two interceptions, 11 passes defensed and 3.5 sacks. He has also added 61 special teams tackles.

Torrence originally entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent out of Stanford, signing with the Green Bay Packers on April 29, 2005. He was waived by the Packers on Sept. 3, before signing with the Atlanta Falcons a day later. Last season, he played in 13 games for the Saints and registered 17 tackles, one interception, one sack, four passes defensed and eight special teams tackles. Torrence played in 10 games for the Falcons in 2005.

Torrence played collegiately at Stanford where he was a four-year letterman in football and a two-year letterman in track. Torrence was born on Jan. 4, 1982, and attended Marist H.S. in Atlanta.

I think we can now consider Golston a steal in the 6th round. He isn't a Pro Bowler but I think he is exactly what every team would take in a 6th round pick...namely a hardworking, team guy who gives you quality minutes where ever he is asked to play. Not flashy but solid.

I think the addition of Torrence is an indication we have seen the last of Byron Westbrook.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I think we can now consider Golston a steal in the 6th round. He isn't a Pro Bowler but I think he is exactly what every team would take in a 6th round pick...namely a hardworking, team guy who gives you quality minutes where ever he is asked to play. Not flashy but solid.

Exactly...I think most teams would be extremely happy to find a guy in the 6th round that sticks with their team this long.

The Torrence signing just makes me laugh...the NFL has so F***** us with this cap penalty bullchit...even if we win in the end we still got bent over and screwed this year. If Snyder takes it lying down I'm gonna destroy something.

I am happy to have Torrence back. He is a special teams captain and a guy that will make Byron Westbrook expendable.

I think you are confusing the team's intentions here.

The most likely scenario is Meriweather and Williams starting at safety with Gomes, Doughty and Torrence as depth.

Recall Torrence like Griffin is a swing corner/safety.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.