A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default NFCE Blog: History of Redskins Draft Picks

    Kind of an exercise in futility, but fun nonetheless. And I think honorary_hog would disagree about HOFers drafted at pick #173.

    ********************************************
    So I have this idea, since everybody loves draft talk and speculation so much, to go through each team's picks and the history of players taken at those spots. It doesn't mean much, since there's no way to know if the guy your team takes in the sixth round is going to become anything or not, but I thought it'd be fun, so I'm going to do it for each of our division's four teams. We'll go in first-round order, so we'll start with the Redskins, who have seven picks.

    The Redskins have the No. 2 pick in the draft, which as you might expect has produced a number of great players, including 13 Hall of Famers. But in doing this exercise, I learned that the Redskins this year also have the pick (No. 102) that produced both Johnny Unitas and Nick Buoniconti. The Redskins' second pick in this year's draft is No. 69, which is noteworthy because the Redskins likely made the best No. 69 pick of all time when they drafted Hall of Famer Russ Grimm in 1981. Enjoy.

    PICK 2 (second pick of first round)

    Last five players taken

    2011 -- Von Miller, LB, Broncos

    2010 -- Ndamukong Suh, DT, Lions

    2009 -- Jason Smith, T, Rams

    2008 -- Chris Long, DE, Rams

    2007 -- Calvin Johnson, WR, Lions

    Redskins' history of No. 2 picks


    2000 -- LaVar Arrington

    1962 -- Norm Snead

    1953 -- Jack Scarbath

    Hall of Famers picked No. 2

    Marshall Faulk (1994), Eric Dickerson (1983), Lawrence Taylor (1981), Tony Dorsett (1977), Randy White (1975), Tom Mack (1966), Joe Namath (1965, AFL), Bob Brown (1964), Merlin Olsen (1962), Les Richter (1952), Y.A. Tittle (1951), George McAfee (1940), Sid Luckman (1939)

    Other notables

    Reggie Bush (2006), Julius Peppers (2002), Ryan Leaf (1998), Tony Mandarich (1989), Cornelius Bennett (1987), Archie Manning (1971)

    Last quarterback taken No. 2


    1999 -- Donovan McNabb, Eagles

    PICK 69 (sixth pick, third round)

    Last five players taken

    2011 -- Rob Housler, TE, Cardinals

    2010 -- Jared Veldheer, T, Raiders

    2009 -- Jason Williams, LB, Cowboys

    2008 -- Jacob Hester, FB, Chargers

    2007 -- Buster Davis, LB, Cardinals

    Redskins' history of No. 69 pick

    1998 -- Skip Hicks

    1981 -- Russ Grimm

    Hall of Famers picked No. 69

    Russ Grimm (1981), Jack Christiansen (1951)

    PICK 102 (seventh pick, fourth round)

    Last five players taken

    2011 --Jordan Cameron, TE, Browns

    2010 -- Darryl Sharpton, LB, Texans

    2009 -- Donald Washington, DB, Chiefs

    2008 -- Jeremy Thompson, DE, Packers

    2007 -- Brian Robison, DE, Vikings

    Redskins history of No. 102 pick

    1996 -- Stephen Davis

    1984 -- Jimmy Smith

    Hall of Famers taken N0. 102

    Nick Buoniconti (1962), Johnny Unitas (1955)

    PICK 109 (14th pick, fourth round)

    Last five players taken

    2011 -- Colin McCarthy, LB, Titans

    2010 -- Corey Wootton, DE, Bears

    2009 -- T.J. Lang, T, Packers

    2008 -- Mike McGlynn, G, Eagles

    2007 -- Stephen Nicholas, LB, Falcons

    Redskins history of No. 109 pick


    2001 -- Sage Rosenfels

    1990 -- Rico Labbe

    1988 -- Jamie Morris

    Hall of Famers taken No. 109

    Don Maynard (1957)

    PICK 141 (sixth pick, fifth round)

    Last five players taken

    2011 -- D.J. Williams, TE, Packers

    2010 -- Joshua Moore, DB, Bears

    2009 -- Kenny McKinley, WR, Broncos

    2008 -- Gary Barnidge, TE, Panthers

    2007 -- Greg Peterson, DT, Buccaneers

    Redskins history of No. 141 pick

    1971 -- Conway Hayman

    Hall of Famers taken No. 141

    None

    PICK 173 (third pick, sixth round)

    Last five players taken

    2011 -- Byron Maxwell, DB, Seahawks

    2010 -- Anthony Dixon, RB, 49ers

    2009 -- Javon Ringer, RB, Titans

    2008 -- Dominique Barber, S, Texans

    2007 -- Michael Coe, CB, Colts

    Redskins history of No. 173 pick

    2006 -- Reed Doughty

    1970 -- Roland Merritt

    1969 -- John Didion

    Hall of Famers picked No. 173

    None

    PICK 213 (sixth pick, seventh round)

    Last five players taken

    2011 -- Brandyn Thompson, DB, Redskins

    2010 -- Willie Young, DE, Lions

    2009 -- Paul Fanaika, G, Eagles

    2008 --Chauncey Washington, RB Jaguars

    2007 -- Chase Pittman, DE, Browns

    Redskins history of No. 213 pick

    2011 -- Brandyn Thompson

    1986 -- Kurt Gouveia

    Hall of Famers picked No. 213

    None

    Link
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  2. #2
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    2,128
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Default

    While it would be silly to try to read anything into this, it's pretty cool to see the past picks at these spots in the draft. Hoping our luck is closer to the HOF list than the bust list.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  3. #3
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    11-17-10
    Location
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Posts
    2,683
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

    Default

    fewer HOF players are drafted in the lower rounds? I could have sworn some guys on this board tried to argue that draft position didnt mean anything lol, I can accept the argument that picks mean nothing if we dont pick the right guys, but thats a bad caveat. I would rather pick earlier 10 out of 10 times especially with the new cap rules.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  4. #4

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,925
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

    Default

    Personally, I'd rather have the 32nd pick of the 1st round for the next ten years.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  5. #5
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    2,128
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Personally, I'd rather have the 32nd pick of the 1st round for the next ten years.
    Unless, of course, there is expansion.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  6. #6

    2016 Blognostications Champ

    Join Date
    07-17-09
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,644
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rymanofthenorth View Post
    fewer HOF players are drafted in the lower rounds? I could have sworn some guys on this board tried to argue that draft position didnt mean anything lol, I can accept the argument that picks mean nothing if we dont pick the right guys, but thats a bad caveat.
    Just from my observations of the various arguments you've been in about this topic, I would say they were saying draft position in the first round didn't matter as much in the scenarios they were describing. I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't find an argument with people saying that the round they were in is irrelevant.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  7. #7
    BGO Fantasy Football
    Champion 2014

    Join Date
    03-12-12
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    183
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I looked back at our first round picks since Snyder took over

    tbf we have hit alot more than we have missed.

    Not aying we have been a great drafting team but we are not as bad as people think

    Will find the link to what I wrote and post it later
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It does not matter how much natural ability you have, it is how you apply that talent that will determine how you are remembered.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shi no Tenshi View Post
    Just from my observations of the various arguments you've been in about this topic, I would say they were saying draft position in the first round didn't matter as much in the scenarios they were describing. I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't find an argument with people saying that the round they were in is irrelevant.
    This. Of course the 4th round verse the 1st round matters, I haven't seen anyone argue that. The data is undeniable, you're more likely to pick a superstar in the 1st round than the 4th round. The argument has always been that pick 5 vs pick 10 in the first round doesn't matter, or even pick 25 verse pick 5.

    Think anyone in front of the Packers would pass on Aaron Rodgers knowing what they know now? I doubt it.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  9. #9
    BGO Fantasy Football
    Champion 2014

    Join Date
    03-12-12
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    183
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I posed this question on a UK site some time ago with a mixed bag of replies. I'll try here amost more knowligible people :P.

    Certain teams have a reputation for being good drafters. But is this down to them having less holes to fill so they have not got the urgency to find starters that lesser teams have?

    I'll give you an example, Take Jerod Mayo out the equation, when did the Pats last hit it big in the first round of the draft?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It does not matter how much natural ability you have, it is how you apply that talent that will determine how you are remembered.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    03-30-10
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,252
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I dunno, the Pats were pretty lousy at one stage and have never really built their roster via FA, they've always tweaked it with a few big signings from time to time mixed in with bargains. They've just been REALLY good at drafting mid level and trading down for extra picks from what I remember. They always seem to have a ton. They also aren't afraid to trade away or release a player once he's gotten too big for their budget and tend to acquire pics that way.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  11. #11
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    11-17-10
    Location
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Posts
    2,683
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    This. Of course the 4th round verse the 1st round matters, I haven't seen anyone argue that. The data is undeniable, you're more likely to pick a superstar in the 1st round than the 4th round. The argument has always been that pick 5 vs pick 10 in the first round doesn't matter, or even pick 25 verse pick 5.

    Think anyone in front of the Packers would pass on Aaron Rodgers knowing what they know now? I doubt it.

    actually the argument was whether or not it would benefit a team to draft earlier or later.

    of course nobody would pass on Rodgers as a matter of fact, he would be drafted number one knowing what we know, Om and Boone actually made a really valid point in another thread, with the Cap making busts less onerous, and the way that QB has pretty much become THE key, we will see more QB's drafted abover where they used to be because it costs less and because teams are starting to see the difference that QB makes in the modern game.

    your argument is proven wrong by our actions in this very draft, the difference between the 6th pick and the second pick? 2 firsts and a second rounder to move up to #2. in other words, it matters very very much to have an earlier pick to get the player you want. and its only going to get more expensive.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  12. #12

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,086
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default

    Ryman, I think that price is only so steep because we are talking about a QB and because the drop off from the 2nd to 3rd best prospect at that position is so far. You don't see anyone trading 2 firsts and a second to move up for Richardson when he is clearly the only elite talent at the RB position. Shoot, he might be the best prospect at the position since AP.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    hailus redskinus
    COYS

  13. #13

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rymanofthenorth View Post
    actually the argument was whether or not it would benefit a team to draft earlier or later.
    ...in the same round. You're repeating my arguments back to me again.

    of course nobody would pass on Rodgers as a matter of fact, he would be drafted number one knowing what we know, Om and Boone actually made a really valid point in another thread, with the Cap making busts less onerous, and the way that QB has pretty much become THE key, we will see more QB's drafted abover where they used to be because it costs less and because teams are starting to see the difference that QB makes in the modern game.
    Yes and no - Alex Smith still went first overall the year Rodgers went 24th. There's generally at least one QB taken in the top 3-5 picks every year; I think last time I looked there was only once or twice in the past 30 that it didn't happen. Someone will always reach on a QB.

    your argument is proven wrong by our actions in this very draft, the difference between the 6th pick and the second pick? 2 firsts and a second rounder to move up to #2. in other words, it matters very very much to have an earlier pick to get the player you want. and its only going to get more expensive.
    That is a different argument all together - the Redskins want a specific player, not a superstar (via BPA). Our argument is that you're just as likely to get a superstar drafting at 2, 6, 10, 24. I'm pretty sure if Griffin plays as well as Aaron Rodgers has, we'll all be happy.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. REDSKINS 2010 DRAFT PICKS
    By Om in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-10, 02:23 PM
  2. 10 Worst Redskins Draft Picks of the Decade
    By Spence in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-01-10, 02:40 AM
  3. Wikipedia: History of the NFCE
    By Om in forum NFC East
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-09, 11:46 AM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •