• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions – Offseason Edition, Mock Draft (3rd Mock Posted)

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Burner’s Burning Questions – Offseason Edition, Mock Draft (5th Mock Posted)

Burner’s Burning Questions – Offseason Edition, Mock Draft (Periodic Updates)

With free agency slowing down to a snail’s pace, we begin to turn our focus to the upcoming draft in late April. Last year, BBQ enjoyed a mild measure of success with the mock draft by predicting a first round trade and the selections of Roy Helu and Evan Royster. This year, the first selection will be a no-brainer. The remaining picks will be a challenge.

Last year, the Redskins devoted their free agency and the draft to shoring up the defense. The offense was given some attention and several of the choices were savvy selections/additions. The two most glaring needs were all but ignored in 2011 – quarterback and offensive line. One of those needs will be addressed right away and the other is a work in progress.

Here is the first of several mocks for the upcoming draft. It will be updated periodically (based on reports and free agent signings). Feel free to discuss it and add your own mocks. This BBQ blog will not go into the blog section and all offseason BBQ blogs will now be posted in this forum only. When the regular season resumes, BBQ will return to the blogging forum for your reading pleasure.

BBQ Mock Draft One

Round One:
Robert Griffin, III – QB, Baylor
Griffin is the franchise QB that Mike Shanahan has been seeking since John Elway. Griffin has many similarities to Elway, but is a much better athlete. Redskins are quickly falling in love with RG3 and he will become the face of the franchise for many years to come.

Round Three:
Projected trade. With a higher pick in the third round, the Redskins move further down in the third round and obtain an extra fourth rounder and a seventh rounder as well.
Mitchell Schwartz – OT, California
Schwartz will fill a huge need at RT. Jammal Brown continues to be plagued with injuries and it could be time to move on to a younger player.

Round Four:
Brandon Taylor - S, LSU
The Redskins fill another need at free safety with the selection of Taylor – an underrated prospect who could start early in his career.

Round Four:
Projected Trade. The Redskins use this trade to pick up a fifth and sixth rounder.

Round Four:
Chase Minnifield - CB, Virginia
Even though his stock has dropped, Minnifield is a quality prospect who will fill an immediate need as a nickel CB. He could become a quality starter within a year or two.

Round Five:
Ryan Broyles – WR/KR, Oklahoma
Having seen his stock drop due to an injury, Broyles would be a third day steal who could replace Santana Moss in the slot. Broyles could also put Brandon Banks on notice.

Round Five:
Robert Turbin - RB, Utah State
Mike Shanahan has a knack for finding late round gems at RB and Turbin will be no exception to this rule. A sleeper prospect that is strong and very quick – a perfect fit for the ZBS running game. A running game featuring Helu, Royster, and Turbin will be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

Round Six:
Joe Cullen - OT, Utah
Cullen is a RT prospect who could be a very reliable backup for many years. It would not be a surprise to see him as the opening day starter at RT as well.

Round Six:
Desmond Wynn - G, Rutgers
Desmond Wynn is another OL prospect that could start ahead of Maurice Hurt or Kory Lichtensteiger if he is able to learn and excel in the ZBS early on. At the very least, Wynn would be a very capable backup at both guard positions.

Round Seven:
George Bryan - TE, N.C. State
Bryan could be the player who puts Chris Cooley on notice. A reliable blocker with good hands, George Bryan is certainly talented enough to make the team and this selection could force Rob Myers to the practice squad.

Round Seven:
Shawn Loiseau - ILB, Merrimack
Shawn Loiseau is a very talented LB who could learn under the tutelage of London Fletcher (assuming he returns). Loiseau has a high motor and the skillset to be a superb inside player for many years to come. Don’t let the small college label fool you – Fletcher came from a small school as well. Loiseau has the goods to be a great one.

Last edited:
Round Four:
Brandon Taylor - S, LSU
The Redskins fill another need at free safety with the selection of Taylor – an underrated prospect who could start early in his career.

Round Four:
Projected Trade. The Redskins use this trade to pick up a fifth and sixth rounder.

Round Four:
Chase Minnifield - CB, Virginia
Even though his stock has dropped, Minnifield is a quality prospect who will fill an immediate need as a nickel CB. He could become a quality starter within a year or two.

You have the Skins trading away their 4th pick, but still using their 2 picks in the 4th round.

Also, you have them getting an extra 5th and 6th in the trade, but in addition you added an extra 7th as well.

Fear, I believe we already have two forth round picks. Maybe for trading JC?

And the extra seventh was from the first speculated trade in the third round.

I would love this draft, but I believe other teams will grab Broyles before we do.

Great mock BB. With your fifth round prediction, I assume you believe THT is gone?

And as for my small contribution, I believe Shanahan loves a guy like Chris Rainey from Florida. He reminds me of another Percy Harvin. If he's there when we pick in the sixth, I believe we'll hear his name called. He's something special.

He's a burner. Electric. A threat as both a WR, and he's a great RB.

Last edited:
Fear, I believe we already have two forth round picks. Maybe for trading JC?

And the extra seventh was from the first speculated trade in the third round.

I would love this draft, but I believe other teams will grab Broyles before we do.

Great mock BB. With your fifth round prediction, I assume you believe THT is gone?

Yes, I think he will be gone - we would've seen more action by now. Broyles could go earlier, but some mocks have him in the 5th. I'll adjust this as we go along (depending on FA and what we hear from Redskins Park/insiders) and everyone is invited to join in with mocks of their own. Thanks for the kind words.

I gotta say if we could get a trade up into the latter second round I would rather have Bobby Massie than a trade down for a project. Massie might be good enough to push Brown for the starting position if Willie Smith can't. Maybe package something to move up earlier in the 2nd for Zebrie Sanders. We really need someone who can step into the RT position right away. Brown will go down at some point. Who knows? Maybe they are high on Willie Smith. The kid settled in and did a solid job at LT last year.

I thought about taking Massie in the third (I believe he will go early in the third), but the Redskins need more picks and will probably make some moves a la 2011. I'll have some updates - again (for everyone), feel free to add some mocks.

By far the best mock I have seen for the Skins BB. It's a wonder how some of these analysts even get jobs.

I literally lose brain cells from even glancing at a Bucky Brooks article. And Marshall Faulk? For a guy with such a great career, he knows so little about talent or football in general.

Marshall Faulk didn't even have Sam Bradford being selected in the top 10, two weeks prior to the draft. He's a disgrace.

I would love what you have suggested here. It meets all of our needs. I would also be fine with nothing but OL.

But I'd kill to get Chris Rainey in the sixth. He's faster than RG3. He's much more shifty, and a better runner than RG3. He'd be incredible in the slot as a receiver. He ran for 861 yards as a RB last year in the SEC. And he's amazing on special teams. Not only does he return kicks like Banks--But he blocked two punts last year.

Athletic freak? Few can compare. He had one game last season where he scored three touchdowns. Each from a different position. You don't find talent
like that in the sixth.

Some Seminole McD5 is! So high on a Gator? Pfft! Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Rainey in B&G, but 6th round? Well, the Raiders have a new regime so they won't draft him the 1st because he's so fast, but I don't see Rainey making it to the 6th round.

Again, thanks for the nice words. I spent about two weeks looking at what the team has said in recent weeks, their approach to free agency, team needs, and players that have visited RP without signing. I will make a few adjustments along the way based on any other FA signings and what the team seems to be focusing on before the draft.

Look forward to seeing some of your mocks.

Some Seminole McD5 is! So high on a Gator? Pfft! Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Rainey in B&G, but 6th round? Well, the Raiders have a new regime so they won't draft him the 1st because he's so fast, but I don't see Rainey making it to the 6th round.

I don't seeing him making it to the sixth either my friend. And you know if I'm praising a gator, he's got the goods.

Again, thanks for the nice words. I spent about two weeks looking at what the team has said in recent weeks, their approach to free agency, team needs, and players that have visited RP without signing. I will make a few adjustments along the way based on any other FA signings and what the team seems to be focusing on before the draft.

Look forward to seeing some of your mocks.

BB, and everyone else........your opinions on Rainey please.

I don't seeing him making it to the sixth either my friend. And you know if I'm praising a gator, he's got the goods.

BB, and everyone else........your opinions on Rainey please.

Anything can happen, but with Helu and Royster doing so well in the second half of last season, my guess is that they will look at Rainey as a player who is a lot like Helu. Shanahan will be looking for someone like Turbin imho - a bruiser with speed and strength.

Rainey wore down a bit as the season progressed and that could hurt his stock a bit. Character issues from the past could hurt him a bit as well.

Anything can happen, but with Helu and Royster doing so well in the second half of last season, my guess is that they will look at Rainey as a player who is a lot like Helu. Shanahan will be looking for someone like Turbin imho - a bruiser with speed and strength.

Rainey wore down a bit as the season progressed and that could hurt his stock a bit. Character issues from the past could hurt him a bit as well.

BB, this is the beauty of this board. Unlike the other place, we have people who have brains.

Keep an open mind, as I know you will. Look further at Rainey. Think about Sproles for the Saints(all purpose yardage leader in the entire league.)

Now add a few extra blocked punts.

6th round?

Come on people.

Like I said, anything is possible. We know who the first pick will be, but the rest is a guess. Maurice Hurt was on nobody's radar last year and now he is a good lineman as a starter/quality backup. So who knows - maybe you will get your wish. :)

I did some research last night, McD5, cause I didn't know anything about the kid. I see him projected anywhere from the 3-4 range to the 5-7 range and opinions are pretty evenly split.

I did some research last night, McD5, cause I didn't know anything about the kid. I see him projected anywhere from the 3-4 range to the 5-7 range and opinions are pretty evenly split.

rainey wont make the 6th round unless he gets busted with drugs or something, the kid has wheels, someone will go for him by round 4.

Very nice mock - I predict we'll see a little more wheeling and dealing (like last year), but overall it seems very reasonable. Lots of OL, with ILB & CB help for the D. I could definitely live with that!

awesome. :)

On the UK site I am a member off we run somthing we call your the GM

It only runs four rounds but basicaly we become the GM for our chosen team.

I am the Redskin GM again this year. as BB said first pick is easy.

This will give me a good insight into who to take in rounds 3 and 4

I am currently talking to the GM of the Eagles who has 3 4th rounders but wants to mmove up. I offered him our 3rd for his 3 fourths but he is not bitting. wants to only offer his lesser two 4ths which I knocked back.

What do you guys think if i Offered to swap 3rds and take his lesser 2 4ths?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.