• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

1st list of HOF Candidates released......

I agree MikeSr619.

It is a very strong class this year.

If any of our guys were to make it this year, I think Clark, Grimm and Mitchell would be the ones most likely to get in, but doubtful.

I'd like to see Jack Kent Cooke get in posthumously. It's a strong class.. Rice and Emmitt Smith should be givens. Grimm of all of them I think has the best chance.

Mike, I would love to see Jacoby and Grimm go in. I would definitely be in Canton again! That was a lot of fun!

I don't think Big Joe will make it, but someday they will have to enshrine Grimm, if for nothing else the drive that put the game away during the NFC Championship when Gibbs sent in a play and Grimm interjected and said, "No! 50 gut!" Next play, same thing. I think they called 8 or 9 run plays on the drive. Grimm said in his interview about that drive he simply wanted nothing more than to take it to the Hall of Famer, Randy White and he did!

If the HoF voters want a signature play then they can watch that entire drive. That is the thing that Hall of Famers are made of!

Anyone else wondered if all the 'hubbub' and controversy surrounding Monk's repeated rejections, and final success doesn't hurt the chances of other Skins candidates from that era? Some of the voters who eventually voted for Monk may feel they threw Redskins fans a bone with that vote on someone who (in their bizarre logic) was a 'borderline' candidate. That might make them less inclined to support another Redskins candidate viewed as anything other than a dominant force during their playing days.

That might be possible Boone but I have read articles by a couple of HoF voters who were anti-Monk but who think the fact that there are no Hogs in the HoF is a travesty. I am thinking Peter King and Skip Bayless (Dallas Morning News). King in particular seems to think the Hall is overdue for a Hog or two.

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2010/1/8/one-step-closer/

Well, with Rice and Emmit shoe ins, Sharpe bringing attention to himself with his big mouth and his media career a probable certainty, guys like Tim Brown and Charles Haley who have probably earned a spot and a long list of others like Dick Lebeau with his defenses over the past few years getting a lot of notice with a couple of Super Bowls, I see Russ' chances of making it in this year slim.

It's a shame because he deserves it, but congratulations for being a finalist Russ! Let's hope the voters remember your dominance in that drive against Dallas in the 1982 NFC Championship that solidified the win and you made perennial all-pro Danny White look like a High School player!

Last edited:
Well, with Rice and Emmit shoe ins, Sharpe bringing attention to himself with his big mouth and his media career a probable certainty, guys like Tim Brown and Charles Haley who have probably earned a spot and a long list of others like Dick Lebeau with his defenses over the past few years getting a lot of notice with a couple of Super Bowls, I see Russ' chances of making it in this year slim.

You pretty much summed it up. Too many "hype" players for a working-class Hog to get in.

Being in a "skill position" does carry weight I'm afraid. I still think Grimm is a possible-not terribly likely, but possible.

Unfortunately I think Russ has no shot. Maybe next year...

I don't think he has a shot this year either. I'd say he had very little chance - period - of getting in, except that I think his status as a coach makes it a little harder for the HOF selection committee not to consider him. Maybe someday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.