• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Best #7 Pick of all Time: Champ Bailey

Best of the Firsts No. 7: Champ Bailey

There are days I wish Gibbs could have figured out how keep this guy. We have had a hole in his position pretty much since the day he was traded.

From what I heard, his wife wanted out of DC because Champ had a little something on the side. At least that is what I saw being circulated when I first joined ES.

I agree about his talent being lost. He was that CB who could shut down anyone, the truest sense of the term shut down corner. It's obvious how valuable a CB like Champ is when you lose one.

i always felt like he was overrated.
i realize there's not a lot of people who agree with me, and there's really no point in arguing it; we've all seen him play - a lot -, you either feel that way or you don't. i think peterson is a better pick.

Best of the Firsts No. 7: Champ Bailey

There are days I wish Gibbs could have figured out how keep this guy. We have had a hole in his position pretty much since the day he was traded.

I know what you mean, but Champ was going to walk. He wanted to be gone, so they got something for him. The only thing I didn't like about the trade is the Skins had to throw in the extra pick. It should have been a straightup player for player trade. I wish the Skins could have done the same thing with Landry when he still had value.

i always felt like he was overrated.
i realize there's not a lot of people who agree with me, and there's really no point in arguing it; we've all seen him play - a lot -, you either feel that way or you don't. i think peterson is a better pick.

Yeah. I completely agree. He's the kinda corner who's rarely out of position but he was not great at making a play on the ball. Plenty of times I'd see a WR outplay him for a ball even though he was right where he was supposed to be. It was almost maddening at times.

He was a good player. Maybe even a great one, but I wouldn't put him in the same class as Green, Sanders or Woodson. The way he's been talked up over the years is crazy. If I didn't know any better I'd think it was simply because we traded him away. :)

He might be overrated but the guy has been gone 8 years and we haven't had anyone here who has been even close to his level of play. Tell you didn't think about Champ in one or both of those Dallas games last year when Hall let Bryant free for either of those critical 3rd down catches. I thought about him both times.

Of course, I also thought about Taylor both times too.

He might be overrated but the guy has been gone 8 years and we haven't had anyone here who has been even close to his level of play. Tell you didn't think about Champ in one or both of those Dallas games last year when Hall let Bryant free for either of those critical 3rd down catches. I thought about him both times.

Honestly? I didn't think about Bailey once. Not until you mentioned it just now. :) Bryant is exactly the type of guy who would outplay him for a ball.

Taylor, on the other hand, I think about at least once a game.

1999 was a rare draft year in Washington in the post-Beathard years.

Both #1 pick Champ Bailey and #2 pick Jon Jansen came in and started from the opening game of their careers and kept on playing in the NFL for years to come at a high level.

I disagree, i think Rogers was as good if not better than Bailey. The key difference being that Bailey could hold on the ball when he was here and Rogers couldn't, which we now know was related to his ability to see and was easily fixed with contacts (seriously? had a guy who couldn't catch a ball for 5 years noone thought to check his eye sight?)

I do agree about hall, he's one of the most overrated CB's in the entire league in my opinion. Went to the pro bowl last year with 6 ints - 4 against a dumb qb named Culter. He had 2 the rest of the year...

The biggest thing that bothered me about the Bailey trade (and frankly STILL bothers me) is that we gave up a 2nd round pick IN ADDITION to a shutdown corner, for a 2nd round RB. This is still unbelievable to me that Shanahan was able to get that out of the Redskins. Unbelievable!

EDIT: I feel a little better that they were never able to fully replace Portis, but damn!

Agreed Lanky. Portis for Bailey straight-up would have been a fine trade. The 2nd thrown in was a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.