• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WT: Rypien Leading Suit Against NFL for Head Injuries

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Former Washington Redskins quarterback Mark Rypien has sued the NFL over “repeated traumatic injuries to his head” sustained during his 11-season career.

Rypien is the lead plaintiff in a class-action suit filed March 23 in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. One hundred twenty-six former players are part of the suit, including 14 other ex-Redskins,Tony Mandarich and Todd Marinovich.

The suit alleges the NFL was aware of the risks of repetitive traumatic brain injury but hid the information and misled players, resulting in permanent brain damage of neurological disorders.

According to the suit, Rypien “suffers from various neurological conditions and symptoms related to the multiple head traumas.”

The same language is used for each of the 125 other plaintiffs, ex-Redskins Scott Galbraith, Ron Middleton and Ed Simmons among them.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/27/rypien-lead-plaintiff-lawsuit-nfl-head-injuries/

The Hogs were still dominant during his time. Hell, in 92 he only took 9 sacks all season. Maybe he's not the one to be leading this suit. Go get Staubach.

The Hogs were still dominant during his time. Hell, in 92 he only took 9 sacks all season. Maybe he's not the one to be leading this suit. Go get Staubach.

Or other QBs that ended their careers early due to concussions such as Aikman.

I'm guessing that BGO posters understand that number of recorded sacks is a poor measure of how many concussion-resulting hits an NFL QB might have taken in his career.

Right?

Tony Mandarich and Todd Marinovich? :laugh:

Sorry, folks but when I saw these two names attached to the lawsuit I almost lost it.

Mandarich was allegedly one of the worst steroid abusers and that lead to his early exit from the game. How can he say with definity that ANY injuries he suffered on the field caused his symptoms when he compromised himself in this way?

Also, he was in the NFL for a nano-second. What did he play 3-4 years? And the last year or two was as a backup as I recall.

Todd Marinovich? Wasn't he bounced from the league due to alleged marijuana use?

Again, I don't think Marinovich was on the field in the NFL for that long of a period of time.

Looks like these two players (as opposed to the others) may just be looking for a new payday.

Amazing that guys like Aikman and Young that seemed to suffer concussion after concussion during their careers have not suffered the degradation of some of these other guys.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Aikman and Young are both still relatively young. Let's see how the next 10-20 years affects them.

PFT: Memory loss prompted Rypien to sue for concussions

The most recent concussion lawsuit filed against the NFL includes the MVP of Super Bowl XXVI, former Redskins quarterback Mark Rypien. Rypien, who was a full-time starter for fewer than three of his 12 NFL seasons, says that memory loss prompted him to take action. “It got to a point where it made me concerned…
b.gif

More...

I'm experiencing some memory loss too, can I sue the NFL?

I'd like to forget most things since 1992 except the Rovers gaining promotion last season

Is he suing his college too?

Why stop there? What about the companies that installed artificial turf?

I read where the NHL is watching this closely, since it may open doors for former hockey players to do the same.

Why stop there? What about the companies that installed artificial turf?

I read where the NHL is watching this closely, since it may open doors for former hockey players to do the same.

What about Soccer players who head the ball

Gees i tried heading one of the older leather soccer balls it was sore, very sore

I'm suing HP because their keyboard is giving me Carpal Tunnel.

I'm suing HP because their keyboard is giving me Carpal Tunnel.
i'm aware of the 'gee, you got hurt playing football while making millions of dollars? who woulda thought?!' sarcasm that seems to follow every concussion lawsuit discussion, and there is plenty of validity to that.

but these suits aren't just 'hey, i got hurt playing football'. they're alleging the NFL knew of the long term ramifications, hid the knowledge of that, and continued to put players on the field in situations that could/would cause serious harm to their brains; all in the name of making more money.

these are serious allegations, and ones that our civil legal system was specifically designed to handle.

i'm not saying the allegations are true, but i think people should hold off on judging the issue. people felt the same way about the tobacco lawsuits in the '90's, until it was revealed that the tobacco companies did their own research, discovered how awful their product was, then destroyed the research and didnt' say a word for decades; which is why they lost and lost big. the only thing they won on was the ability to do a one-time payout, and not have to face legal action from each individual.

it's one thing to get hurt at a dangerous job. it's another when you're employer knows of, and willfully ignores, the dangers and never passes them on to the employees.

/end rant

Ask yourself this question: if the NFL did know the long-term ramifications, and DID disclose them - do you think it would have made a difference? Do you think guys would have said "you know what, I'm not going to play this GAME for MILLIONS of DOLLARS because concussions are bad, you guys."

The answer is: No. Maybe a few might hang it up a little earlier, but nobody is going to step away from the game. Keeping players in the game with a concussion? Okay, sure - but do you really think guys struggling to keep their jobs wouldn't have gone back in the game? Guys play with knee injuries all the time because their jobs are on the line - same thing IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.