• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Luck vs. RGIII?

Which QB do you WANT under center in 2012?

• Andrew Luck

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Robert Griffin III

Votes: 37 90.2%

• Total voters
^^This. How many times have I pulled out what little hair I have left watching a mobile QB run for a critical first down against us? :furious: :cuss:

Or, to pull a recent-ish example, a not so mobile QB like Favre.

As Luck Would Have It by one of my all time favorite sports columnists, the great Rick Reilly.

Thanks for sharing - great column. Every Redskins fan should read that - as it reinforces the certainty that no matter what happens on draft day, we are going to get a special quarterback. So exciting!

On the one hand, its Wilbon - on the other hand, its Wilbon. THIS IS WHY I DON'T WANT PEOPLE MAKING SHIRTS BEFORE THE DRAFT! lol

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...t-griffin-iii/2012/04/02/gIQA5dzJrS_blog.html

Michael Wilbon says the Colts are considering Robert Griffin III

There were two distinct parts of the Redskins conversation during Michael Wilbon’s appearance on Tony Kornheiser’s ESPN 980 show Monday morning.

1) The part where Wilbon mercilessly ripped the Redskins and compared them to the Wizards.

2) The part where Wilbon said insiders have told him that the Colts are still seriously considering drafting Robert Griffin III with the top overall pick in April’s draft.

I suppose I’ll do the second part first, since that’s actually surprising.

“By the way, I will tell you this,” Wilbon said, mid-rant. “It’s not like I’m following this closely, but I had the occasion over the weekend to talk to a couple of people who have intimate knowledge of what the Colts are thinking. And you and I have talked very briefly on the show about are they still considering RGIII? Tony, I’m told they are.

“And I’m told that the main reason they are is because there are people in the organization and people they consult — and now you consult all these different people about something a s important as a number one overall draft pick, a maybe once in a generation pick. And they are of the opinion, some people that are having input into this pick, that RGIII is better in the pocket.

“They have stats, they have analysis, they have information that says to them it’s Luck who is faster to leave the pocket and not be as good in the pocket. And RGIII is better in the pocket, he’s a better pocket passer, better arm. And that they are seriously still considering RGIII.”

So that was that part. And never would so many people be so disappointed if their team drafted the consensus top overall player in the draft.

--
click the link for the rest

The second part of this article colors the first part, but still worth reading:

There were two distinct parts of the Redskins conversation during Michael Wilbon’s appearance on Tony Kornheiser’s ESPN 980 show Monday morning.

1) The part where Wilbon mercilessly ripped the Redskins and compared them to the Wizards.

2) The part where Wilbon said insiders have told him that the Colts are still seriously considering drafting Robert Griffin III with the top overall pick in April’s draft.

I suppose I’ll do the second part first, since that’s actually surprising.

“By the way, I will tell you this,” Wilbon said, mid-rant. “It’s not like I’m following this closely, but I had the occasion over the weekend to talk to a couple of people who have intimate knowledge of what the Colts are thinking. And you and I have talked very briefly on the show about are they still considering RGIII? Tony, I’m told they are.

“And I’m told that the main reason they are is because there are people in the organization and people they consult — and now you consult all these different people about something a s important as a number one overall draft pick, a maybe once in a generation pick. And they are of the opinion, some people that are having input into this pick, that RGIII is better in the pocket.

“They have stats, they have analysis, they have information that says to them it’s Luck who is faster to leave the pocket and not be as good in the pocket. And RGIII is better in the pocket, he’s a better pocket passer, better arm. And that they are seriously still considering RGIII.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...t-griffin-iii/2012/04/02/gIQA5dzJrS_blog.html

It's interesting, the one part that not many seem willing to talk about is race. Not race as a determining factor in whether either will be successful, but race as a determining factor of who will end up where.

Having read and reread Larry Bird's autobiographies (shut up), I can tell you that from HIS perspective (granted 20 years ago), Luck would play a lot better in Indianapolis than RG3 would, due mainly to race. Things may certainly have changed in the subsequent 20 years, but I am still thinking that may play more of a factor than we realize.

Sure, winning cures everything, but Irsay, after kicking a living legend to the curb, may not want to deal with the public relations hit he might take if he drafts RG3. Having said that, I think RG3 has the personality to win over just about everyone out there, but Irsay may fear the initial blowback, and if he considers them mostly equal, may go with the "safer" of the two picks.

It's interesting, the one part that not many seem willing to talk about is race. Not race as a determining factor in whether either will be successful, but race as a determining factor of who will end up where.

Having read and reread Larry Bird's autobiographies (shut up), I can tell you that from HIS perspective (granted 20 years ago), Luck would play a lot better in Indianapolis than RG3 would, due mainly to race.

Heh??

Not following you Goal. How would Luck being white help him 'play a lot better' in Indy? Do you mean 'play' as in, easier for whitey in Indy to root for and accept as the face of their franchise? Or do you mean actually 'play' better? I don't think people don't want to talk about race, I think most consider irrelevant. You can clarify your point, but we've already somewhat banned this topic....

Sorry, worded that one poorly. I don't mean play on the field, I mean that decision would play better among the fans, that's the impression I get. I have seen a couple of articles, though not many, mention that aspect of things.

Sorry I worded it poorly, feel free to alter or delete my post as needed.

Nahh...we're not in Nazi Germany, you can still speak freely :) Just don't want to hear I'm being inconsistent. I don't know if black or white 'plays' in a particular location or not. But I know one thing that 'plays'. Winning plays.

The decision as to who takes who first will come down to, I have to believe, which guy the team leadership truly believes can help them win the most. Yeah. I know. :co_obvious: I'm hoping for RG3. If it's Luck, I'm hoping this is one of those rare years where both guys prove to be world-beaters. I think Luck is the better fit to replace Manning, and the surer pick of the two. That's why I think while Irsay and company may flirt with the idea of making a headline with a last minute reversal, ultimately, they'll stick to the safe pick. Sounds like you believe that as well.

That being said, never trust Whitey.

I brought it up a few weeks ago and it was moved to the poli forum. I know what you are saying though.

Pretty sure Luck is going to Indy. Just over three weeks to go. :)

I would be surprised if Indy doesn't take Luck. Wonder what we would do if Irsay has a brain fart and doesn't get his pick in on time. Who would we quickly select?

The way I see this playing out it really doesn't matter who we get...thing is we will finally have a legit QB.

I would be surprised if Indy doesn't take Luck. Wonder what we would do if Irsay has a brain fart and doesn't get his pick in on time. Who would we quickly select?

RG3, no question.

Actually, I could see Indy pulling something like this on purpose - put the impetus on us to make the choice.

The way I see this playing out it really doesn't matter who we get...thing is we will finally have a legit QB.
RG3, no question.

Actually, I could see Indy pulling something like this on purpose - put the impetus on us to make the choice.

Agreed. It could happen, but Indy could risk losing both if the third team acts within a few seconds (Vikings or whoever traded for third pick) and makes a very quick choice.

That happened to the Vikings (I think) a few years ago and several teams got their picks in quickly.

You guys have been watching too many 'X-Files' reruns. If you want to prognosticate about something wild, come up with something far more plausible - like some mystery team offering every pick in the next 3 drafts to move up to #1 :)

I can't see Indy sitting still to let us go first but I can see Grigson calling Shanahan while the Colts are on the clock and asking for our third rounder this year to swap picks so we can take our pick. In fact, some gamesmanship might be going on now with this talk of seriously considering RGIII.

Of course, I can also see Shanahan wearing his emotions for RGIII on this sleeve as a way to get Indy to think that we want him more then Luck and getting Indy to maybe change their minds because we appear so taken with the supposed "second" guy in the draft.

You guys have been watching too many 'X-Files' reruns. If you want to prognosticate about something wild, come up with something far more plausible - like some mystery team offering every pick in the next 3 drafts to move up to #1 :)

Hey, hey! Just having some fun here. Ignore the tin foil hat sitting on my desk and indulge me for a moment. :)

I remember that moment when a team missed its draft selection and didn't get it in until several picks later. Pretty sure it was the Vikings.

Anyway, I think we're fine. When you look at what the Redskins did in the last draft, you have to feel good about what could happen in just over three weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.