• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Gregg Williams Put Bounty on Brad Johnson While At Washington

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
This asshat might end up being worse than Vinny.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ams-put-15000-bounty-on-brad-johnson-in-2006/

A new report offers some new details about the bounties that he allegedly oversaw during his time in Washington.

Citing multiple anonymous players, David Elfin writes at the Washington, D.C., CBS affiliate that when the Redskins opened the 2006 season against the Vikings, Williams (who was then the team’s defensive coordinator) made a specific point of telling his players to go after Brad Johnson, the Vikings quarterback who had previously played for the Redskins.

“Gregg came in and dropped $15,000 on the
and said, 'Brad Johnson doesn’t finish this game,’” one player said.

Someone needs to put a bounty on Gregg. What a piece of trash.

If that **** is true, I have no respect for him at all. I always liked Gregg and had hoped he might coach here after Gibbs. But the more I hear about this kind of crap...

This asshat might end up being worse than Vinny.

Just an observation...

Gregg's first stop in the NFL was with the the Houston Oilers. The DC in Houston at that time was none other than Buddy Ryan - one of the worst of humans to walk the face of the earth. Simply put, Buddy Ryan has almost no worth as a human being. His two sons are a part of his legacy.

There can be no doubt that Buddy Ryan had an influence on Gregg. This is not to absolve Williams of these heinous instructions, but it should be of no surprise to know that Buddy Ryan has his legacy intertwined with what we see today.

When I was younger, one of my worst traits was to confront some things with a violent reaction. Although it was rare, it did happen on occasion. I'm glad to say that those days are behind me - but there is one exception. I'll only say that I hope to never meet Buddy Ryan face to face.

If the league ultimately decides to ban Gregg Williams for life, then Buddy Ryan should join him with the same distinction.

It's funny. We all openly wondered why Snyder didn't just hand the reigns over to Williams when Gibbs left. It appears for once, Dan's instincts were absolutely correct. I can't imagine how badly this might have backed up on us had Williams been our head coach for a few years.

Great point Henry. It would've been a disaster. The Saints are going to suffer for the next decade - at least.

Sorry to be so brutal in my previous post. That person evokes such an emotion in me and there are others who probably feel the same way about Gregg now. I don't see how we can defend him at all at this juncture.

Henry, I think it is safe to assume that this would have been devastating to the franchise for years to come had this all broken in the same time frame as it did for the Saints. It might have cost us our QB in this year's draft. I mean, I'm guessing they only reason Goodell went with taking two 2nd rounders from the Saints is because they didnt' have a 1st to take this year (traded it last year to get Mark Ingram) and he wanted to hit them this year.

Hard to believe that something like this could happen without Joe Gibbs' knowledge.

It's funny. We all openly wondered why Snyder didn't just hand the reigns over to Williams when Gibbs left. It appears for once, Dan's instincts were absolutely correct. I can't imagine how badly this might have backed up on us had Williams been our head coach for a few years.

Dan may have just been lucky, and this may have had nothing to do with his decision to let Williams go elsewhere.

At the risk of being a total downer, how do we know the league won’t do something to the team as a result of this latest revelation? According to Lanky’s post in another thread (http://www.bgobsession.com/showthread.php?t=46287), the league hasn’t ruled out sanctions against Williams’ previous teams if new allegations and proof come to light. Would this count? What would they do? Am I just being overly paranoid?

I think they would only do something to the team if they could determine that Williams' superiors knew about it and condoned it. I think the NFL has already conducted an investigation of all of the teams in the league and determined that what went on with the Saints went above and beyond what happened with other teams.

It became such a big deal because he told the Saints to knock it off and they basically gave him the middle finger and kept doing it. Then he got the proof and went scorched earth.

The media here in DC and especially Mr. Elfin seem as if they will not be satisfied until they have unearthed enough anecdotal evidence and pressure to keep the NFL sniffing around the Redskins for potential penalties.

or at least for the salacious value of having fans shake their heads at each additional 'anonymous' admission of particular episodes.

Personally, I think the decisions handed down last week ended this for now.

A practice that was endorsed by many teams for the past 40 years has now become equited to the NCAA death penalty.

OK.

New standard.

Again, let's move on now.

What's next - going back and making a catalog list of all the specific bounties Williams called for in Tennessee in 1999? :)

Suddenly Gregg Williams has turned into Lindsay Lohan.

I expect to see him the subject of HLN episodes of the Mitchell Report and Dr. Drew :laugh:

Un-named sources give me hemorrhoids.

Until Archaleta and Arrington back their claims with their names, or whoever the disgruntled cut players were, I call :bsflag:

Not even that I believe it is BS. I just can't stand a gutless mouth.

Man-up and take ownership, or STFU.

And no, the league will do nothing to us over this. Had New Orleans taken heed when the league said stop, this wouldn't ever had been an issue. Their lying about, and cover up of the incident is what they were so harshly fined for. Not the act itself.

I suspect we'll lose a second round pick and pay a large fine.

Until Archaleta and Arrington back their claims with their names, or whoever the disgruntled cut players were

Actually, Arrington on his show has publicly stated he didn't see any of this.

Agreed with BT, the media here is always looking for the big scandal. I think its because they all want to work politics. Ha!

One guy says $15K, another guy says he doesn't remember. $15K sounds a LOT higher than anything the Saints ever put out there though. I think its being glorified.

The media here in DC and especially Mr. Elfin seem as if they will not be satisfied until they have unearthed enough anecdotal evidence and pressure to keep the NFL sniffing around the Redskins for potential penalties.

or at least for the salacious value of having fans shake their heads at each additional 'anonymous' admission of particular episodes.

Personally, I think the decisions handed down last week ended this for now.

A practice that was endorsed by many teams for the past 40 years has now become equited to the NCAA death penalty.

OK.

New standard.

Again, let's move on now.

What's next - going back and making a catalog list of all the specific bounties Williams called for in Tennessee in 1999? :)

Suddenly Gregg Williams has turned into Lindsay Lohan.

I expect to see him the subject of HLN episodes of the Mitchell Report and Dr. Drew :laugh:

Until Archaleta and Arrington back their claims with their names, or whoever the disgruntled cut players were, I call :bsflag:

Not even that I believe it is BS. I just can't stand a gutless mouth.

Man-up and take ownership, or STFU.

And no, the league will do nothing to us over this. Had New Orleans taken heed when the league said stop, this wouldn't ever had been an issue. Their lying about, and cover up of the incident is what they were so harshly fined for. Not the act itself.

Yeah, I had similar thoughts on both fronts. I hate the 'unnamed sources' thing - although, yeah, I get that 'protecting your sources' is a foundation of journalism. This ain't Watergate though and Elfin, that ain't 'deepthroat' you're talking to. I don't like Elfin - I'll confess, primarily because he went out of his way to be rude and nasty to us 'internet boys' when we had team coverage access back in the day. I also remember him interrupting me as I interviewed one of the nicest guys ever, Taylor Jacobs, asking him 'So, with your 16 total catches last season, what makes you think you're a #1 receiver?'. Rude.

Setting my dislike for Elfin aside, I obviously don't like this as a fan. The last thing our Redskins need, given we finally appear to be gaining some positive traction and forward movement as a franchise, is to get tainted/smeared as part of this 'bountygate' stuff. It's bad enough that the NFL has gone rogue and decided to impose dubious cap penalties on us without going on a witch hunt to determine what may or may not have gone on years and years ago. I also have to wonder about the motivation of players who are acting as 'sources'? And how much of this is generated due to a hate and loathing of Snyder, vs. actual fact?

Move on NFL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.