• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Best #18 Pick of All Time: Art Monk

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Best of the Firsts, No. 18: Art Monk

This came out on the 9th of March and we were all a little pre-occupied that day so I thought I would bring some attention back to it. Art Monk certainly deserves it.

I own 4 Redskins jersey's.

Three I bought, #43, #9, and #81. #21 was gifted to me.

Before Art was shown the door here, I vowed, the day he goes into the HOF, I WILL be there.

Being in the stadium that evening, wearing my #81, was as thrilling, exciting, and chill-bumping a moment, as any time in my Redskins life. Now approaching 45 years.

What an absolute pleasure it was to have him as a representative of our storied franchise. We were damn lucky to have him.

Beathard found pro bowlers in every round of the draft over the years.

That is what is missing now. Yes, we look great for taking Kerrigan at #16 overall, but where is that Pierre Garcon that we find in the 6th round so we don't have to be such heavy payers in free agency?

The Redskins only had three first round picks under Beathard and they were Monk, Darrell Green and Mark May.

May was the slacker of the lot in only playing in the NFL for 12 years and being a pro bowl alternate.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Different day and age, Bulldog. It is harder to find those guys that no one knows about because communication is so much better. Players are more savvy at getting themselves noticed.

And we have some of our own even now. Rock Cartwright is still playing in this league. Anthony Pierce was undrafted but we let him get away.

But all in all, I don't think things are like they used to be when Beathard was at the height of his powers.

Then explain Garcon, Victor Cruz and Marques Colston?

These guys were all late considerations, guys the Redskins could have had.

My contention is that a top level front office finds the bargains over time.

They may miss on some early picks but they always seem to come up with that surprise performer that over-achieves.

I'm not arguing that some guys don't still slip through to later rounds. That still happens, no doubt. And maybe, we don't find our share anymore. Heck, who am I kidding, we definitely don't find our share.

Of course, it doesn't help that we have changed coaching staffs and systems more in the last decade than Brittany changes costumes in a concert.

I'm just saying that it is easier in our modern NFL for all front offices to do what Beathard used to be the master of doing and a lot of guys that would have been on the board in the 5th round or the 7th round or maybe even the 12th round for Beathard to pick up are gone in the first 3 rounds today.

Vinnie Cerratto and Dan Snyder were very good at finding talent in the first round. They were TERRIBLE at finding anything beyond that. Our later round picks for a decade were practically worthless, which is a big reason why we stunk for so long.

I'm not sure I'd tag Shanahan and Allen with that, though. The jury is still out, but so far from Perry Riley to Helu, Gomes, Royster, Hurt, Neild ... hopefully Hankerson ... our front office seems to be considerably more capable of finding value in the second day.

To Monk. A video is worth a thousand words:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORshuy-MdTk[/media]

Goosebumps every time. I love that video. Never been more proud to be a Redskins fan than that day.

Someone needs to show that clip to RG3 and let him begin to understand the passion that Redskins fans have.

Before Art was shown the door here, I vowed, the day he goes into the HOF, I WILL be there.

Being in the stadium that evening, wearing my #81, was as thrilling, exciting, and chill-bumping a moment, as any time in my Redskins life. Now approaching 45 years.

Agreed, except 32 years, not 45. It was an amazing experience!

Others in Consideration: Joe Flacco (2008, Ravens); Alfred Williams (1999, Bengals); Eddie Kennison (1996, Rams); Tom Darden (1972, Browns)

Not to knock Mr. Monk, but not a very tough #18 draft pick class. Ha!

The Redskins only had three first round picks under Beathard
Partly because the simple sonofbitch would trade next years 1st for that years second, and draft Tory ****in Nixon. Or Walter ****ing Murray.

Can't you stop your Draft Piss & Moan Show for one Art Monk thread, Ryman?

I mean, BT.

Every once in a while sport gives us a transcendant moment...be it something, or someone. This was about much more than football, or team, or even the man himself.

You have to be careful when you talk about this kind of thing, though, because it too easily crosses the line from heartfelt to maudlin, and invites the easily ridicule of those less comfortable with such things.

Watching Cal Ripken face his moment, the night be broke 2131, had that transcendant feel.

Watching Art Monk meet his moment had the added passion of coming in a context clothed in burgundy and gold, and all that has meant in my life.

Moments like these are mile markers along the way.

When the day comes I can no longer feel them the way I do today, it will be my time to move on.

Goosebumps every time. I love that video. Never been more proud to be a Redskins fan than that day.

Someone needs to show that clip to RG3 and let him begin to understand the passion that Redskins fans have.

Well said Goal! Watching that video again actually brought a tear to my eye. I'll always regret not being there in person to witness possibly the greatest tribute to a former Redskin EVER. I was there the night he broke the NFL receiving record and that was pretty special but NOTHING like this.

RG3 DEFINITELY needs to see this!

Art Monk is simply my all-time favorite Redskins player. For an amazing length of time it was impossible to think of the Redskins and not have Art Monk be the first name that came to mind. He was a piece of the Redskins furniture, a brick in the foundation of what the Washington Redskins meant as a team. Players in the secondaries of opponents went through entire careers knowing that when they played the Redskins they'd have to try to contain Monk-a damnably difficult task.

He was not only my all-time favorite Redskins player, he is one of the best players I ever had the joy to watch.

And the ability to do that...to play at that amazing level for year after year after year? Astonishing. The NFL as a whole is better for his having been a part of it.

During that mid-to-late 60's up until the mid-80's, our seatmates to the left of us at RFK were an older couple about my parent's age. They were always dressed nicely because they would come to the games straight from church on Sundays.

During Monk's first year with the Skins, it seemed every time the Skins needed a first down they'd throw to #81. Towards the end of that rookie season, the guy to our left would yell "Monk 'em" on 3rd down, meaning throw the ball to Monk. His wife started getting into the act as well. Eventually, I picked it up and we'd all yell "Monk 'em" every time the Skins were in a passing situation on 3rd down. I remember him looking at me and giving me a smile and a wink when Monk would pick up that first down.

I'm sure that couple has passed on by now but I can still picture them in my mind whenever I think about Art and his early days with the Skins. Those were some GREAT times at RFK.

Brooks will be HoF too. I have no doubt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.