• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Stock Market Thread

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
I love the stock market, and love investment ideas. I know we have a lot of intelligent people here, and hopefully this will be a great thread.

If anyone has any great stock ideas, I would love to hear them. Either bullish or bearish. So if someone feels strongly about something, please share.

Ah, I was wondering when you would finally get around to posting it. :)

Dividends. Blue chips. This be my strategy from here to forever.

I have an investment question for people smarter than me. I work for an employee owned company, and therefore get ESOP contributions every year, in lieu of a 401k or anything like that. Lifetouch's stock has lost value one time in the 30+ years it has been employee owned, but I am a little nervous putting all my eggs in one basket.

I have been thinking for a while I need to diversify. However, all the people I work with closer to retirement age than I am tell me they diversified and when the recession hit, their ESOP was the only thing that saved them from losing it all.

So my question is, how much should I put into other venues? How do I go about doing that? I am a moron when it comes to these things, unfortunately. What advice can you offer a noob?

5 or 6 years ago, I went with a group of coworkers to see some people speak. It was Rudy Giuliani, Suzy Ormond, Zig Ziglar and a slew of others. One guy came out and decided to talk stocks with us. He told us about a program you could enroll in that showed a minute by minute breakdown of stock sales and purchases in line graph format. He explained how when it was green, you should buy as much as you can of various things, and when it went red, you sell. He then showed us how to follow the money trail of guys like Warren Buffet. He said as long as you follow his money and do what he does, you'll make money.

I never did it, because I know squat about stocks, but I wish now that I could remember what the program was, because it seemed pretty amazing to me.

I have an investment question for people smarter than me. I work for an employee owned company, and therefore get ESOP contributions every year, in lieu of a 401k or anything like that. Lifetouch's stock has lost value one time in the 30+ years it has been employee owned, but I am a little nervous putting all my eggs in one basket.

I have been thinking for a while I need to diversify. However, all the people I work with closer to retirement age than I am tell me they diversified and when the recession hit, their ESOP was the only thing that saved them from losing it all.

So my question is, how much should I put into other venues? How do I go about doing that? I am a moron when it comes to these things, unfortunately. What advice can you offer a noob?

Roth IRAs are a good way to go; you can just put money in and invest in whatever you want, or you can let another company manage them. They fluctuate like the market, but you can diversify as much as you want.

5 or 6 years ago, I went with a group of coworkers to see some people speak. It was Rudy Giuliani, Suzy Ormond, Zig Ziglar and a slew of others. One guy came out and decided to talk stocks with us. He told us about a program you could enroll in that showed a minute by minute breakdown of stock sales and purchases in line graph format. He explained how when it was green, you should buy as much as you can of various things, and when it went red, you sell. He then showed us how to follow the money trail of guys like Warren Buffet. He said as long as you follow his money and do what he does, you'll make money.

I never did it, because I know squat about stocks, but I wish now that I could remember what the program was, because it seemed pretty amazing to me.

Lemme guess, the software only cost $6000 but he was going to do you all a favor and sell it that day only for $1000.

My job forced me to go to one of those seminars. A few of my coworkers bought that day-trading software. None of them got rich.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

First, before we go any further, nothing in this thread should be treated as financial advice. Consult your financial professional before relying on anyone else's opinion. Investing can be risky, and can result in financial loss.

Also, look both ways before crossing the road, and brush your teeth at least twice daily.:sunny:

My favorite growth stock for fundamentals and timing right is Kodiak, symbol KOG on the NYSE. It's an oil company in the US. I like it as a core position going forward, and believe it is a possible takeover target in time.

It's volatile though. The share price really moves for a $2 billion market cap. And it's in a nice uptrend. I like to buy it on dips to $9-$10 per share, then sell added shares into strength. I also keep a large core position--especially into weekends when buyouts typically occur.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.