• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

question for the history buffs and stats nerds

Favre, I would agree was a great QB, but in the past few years wasnt nearly as effective brees I forgot about lol, Rodgers has been great for 2 years, I have no doubt he will be the elite qb of the league the next few seasons, if they start protecting him better.

henry when the Giants pulled the trigger on Manning, they were in a far better spot than we are depth and talent wise.
Ry, you're a big Bleacher Report guy... :)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/423574-qb-theory-donovan-mcnabb-could-be-redskins-rising-tide

...former New York Giants General Manager Ernie Accorsi .

When the Giants traded for [Eli] Manning, a fan wrote Accorsi. "You do not understand the Giants' tradition of defense. We win championships on defense. Not with quarterbacks. This was a big mistake."

Here is Accorsi's retort:

"You won the NFL Championship in 1956 because Charlie Conerly was better than Ed Brown (Bears quarterback). You won in 1986 because Simms had the greatest day a quarterback ever had in an NFL Championship game. However, in 1958 and 1959, you had the best defense in the NFL. You had Hall of Famers Andy Robustelli, Sam Huff, and Emlen Tunnell on defense. And you also had great players like Rosey Grier, Jim Katcavage, Dick Modzelewski, and Jimmy Patton. And, you know what happened? The great quarterback—Unitas—shredded them both times. I rest my case."

Favre, I would agree was a great QB, but in the past few years wasnt nearly as effective brees I forgot about lol, Rodgers has been great for 2 years, I have no doubt he will be the elite qb of the league the next few seasons, if they start protecting him better.

Well, Rodgers has a career passer rating of 104.1, which happens to be the highest career passer rating ... ever. He leads all active QBs in TD percentage and INT percentage. He was the Superbowl MVP in 2010 and the league MVP in 2011 ...

... He should be a hell of a player if he ever turns the corner. :)

henry when the Giants pulled the trigger on Manning, they were in a far better spot than we are depth and talent wise.

They might have been a little better off. Not a lot. They also had just fired Fassell and hired Coughlin, so there was some house-cleaning that had to be done there that won't happen here.

not really, actualy I find bleacher report to be a decent read but often wrong, some of those guys are pretty switched on though. I have to say, that Mcrapp article was pretty far off the mark, and I was openly and loudly against that move for several reasons.

its an easy position to defend, of course a great QB is going to make a team better, how many great qb's have been drafted in the past 10 years? what are the odds of a guy becoming a great qb? knowing those odds should we put all our eggs in one basket on one guy?

that was a good find though, accorsi's rant was solid

Yeah, whoever wrote that article should have known McNabb would fall off the table. ;)

LOL Henry. that Rodgers kid could be a gooder.

as for the Giants, they had a very solid Oline, a great running game, a defence that had been built up over 6 years that had talent but more importantly depth, they were short receivers and DB's I believe at the time, they got coughlin who was more of a crack the whip guy , added some key free agents and away they went, they improved immediately despite scheme and regime changes, so they were obviously smarter than us lol

Yeah, whoever wrote that article should have known McNabb would fall off the table. ;)

why not? more than a few of us did.
the similiarities to elway were superficial at best, anyone who follows the NFC east could have told Shanny that Mcrapp was a guy who has to throw the ball 60 of the time or he gets out of synch, we all knew that Mcrapp was also overrated and not the sharpest knife, hell when you watch film of the games they beat us, it was always the same damn roll out tight end short out play, the only great season he ever had, was with TO. the biggest indicator was the number of passes he threw compared to how many TD passes, I think he averaged something like 20 tds a season despite being in a pass heavy offence. the warning signs were all there.

I'll make sure Shanny has you on speed dial, bro.

as for the Giants, they had a very solid Oline, a great running game, a defence that had been built up over 6 years that had talent but more importantly depth, they were short receivers and DB's I believe at the time, they got coughlin who was more of a crack the whip guy , added some key free agents and away they went, they improved immediately despite scheme and regime changes, so they were obviously smarter than us lol

Good grief Ryman. Here's your question again:

"has a trade for multiple firsts or even high round draft picks, ever worked out well for the team giving up multiple picks?"

The answer is yes.

If you want to keep adding qualifications on top of qualifications to get the answer to be no, why ask the question? Ours is a unique situation, just like every situation in the history of the draft. You think the Giants were a more complete team? Fine. I say RG3 is a better prospect than Manning. I say the NFL now is more dependent on QBs than it was when Manning was drafted. I say the rookie salary cap makes it easier to sign free agents around a rookie than it was when Manning was drafted. We can dance all day.

But I gotta tell ya. I'm a little sick of spinning my wheels here. Your opinion has been noted.

For the record, I actually somewhat share it. I said on this board right here that I thought giving up three #1s for a player was so ridiculous it was likely never to happen. I share your bewilderment over our lack of attention on the OL. But unlike past offseasons where I can see in slow motion the train come off the track and smash into tiny bits, there's one little flicker of light in the back of my head that's distracting me:

Griffin.

We are trying something we haven't tried in a generation. We're drafting a very top QB prospect. This is something we in DC have very little experience with, and there are no real examples to cite to suggest he will succeed or fail here. So there's a chance the train will stay on the track this time. Maybe it won't. Maybe 'RG3' will become yet another term in the lexicon of Redskin offseason disasters. But until that actually happens, I'll hope for the best.

We don't know this time. We have no experience with this sort of move. If this thread has proven anything, it is that.

Om- maybe he should lol, couldnt be much worse.

Henry-the giants are a terrible example, Rivers is as good or better than manning, so the picks may have helped, I agree that in the end they won a superbowl but they also didnt give up nearly what we are giving up either. anyway, I am going to be hopeful that Griffin is as good as advertised, the fact that big 12 qbs never do well is something I am going to ignore lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.