• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Signed: DB Brandon Meriweather

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
DB Brandon Meriweather
[click for NFL.com profile/stats]

102509_BrandonMeriweather.jpg

Meriweather agrees to two-year, $6M deal with 'Skins
By Jason La Canfora |

Free-agent DB Brandon Meriweather has agreed to a two-year deal with the Redskins worth $6 million, according to a league source.

The five-year veteran spent the past season with the Bears after playing for the Patriots from 2007 to 2010. He made the Pro Bowl in 2009 and 2010.

The Jets and Broncos had expressed interest in Meriweather.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfPEjI1cKkc[/media]

Last edited:
Reputed to have some knucklehead factor in his past....if anyone has any actual knowledge/familiarity with the circumstances, feel free to share.

OK, first of all, I'm happy with the signing, and especially the price.

But that's it? Highlights repeated several times. And tossing a Madden "highlight" in there too? Surely dude has made more than 4 plays in his life. :laugh:

Find me some good footage, HH. I'll plug it in. :)

Reputed to have some knucklehead factor in his past....if anyone has any actual knowledge/familiarity with the circumstances, feel free to share.

Just what I've found on Wikipedia:

Shooting incident
On July 21, 2006 Meriweather was involved in a shooting incident when teammate Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks. In self defense, Meriweather returned fire and shot at the unidentified shooters three times. Meriweather was not charged with a crime because his gun was owned legally.
Miami-FIU Brawl
During the Miami-FIU brawl on October 14, 2006, Meriweather was seen stomping multiple times on several Florida International players on the ground. Meriweather was ultimately suspended by the ACC and Miami for his role in the incident. It is believed that his actions during the brawl and the shooting incident may have caused his draft stock to slip.

Brandon Meriweather was not part of the Patriots base defense to begin the 2010 season, something which Meriweather described as a coaching decision as a result of him freelancing in the defense during training camp. After being replaced as a starter in Weeks 2 and 3 by James Sanders, Meriweather returned to his starting role in Week 4.

In Week 6, Meriweather was penalized for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Baltimore Ravens tight end Todd Heap. While Heap walked off the field and would later return, the hit, grouped together with other helmet-to-helmet hits on defenseless receivers from NFL players during the week, sparked controversy over the protection of players. The NFL took action the following Tuesday when they fined Meriweather $50,000 for the hit. Following the game, the league announced that it would begin suspending players for dangerous hits, particularly those involving helmet to helmet hits on defenseless receivers.

From the Wikipedia article on Meriweather:

In college:

Shooting incident
On July 21, 2006 Meriweather was involved in a shooting incident when teammate Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks. In self defense, Meriweather returned fire and shot at the unidentified shooters three times. Meriweather was not charged with a crime because his gun was owned legally.

Miami-FIU Brawl
During the Miami-FIU brawl on October 14, 2006, Meriweather was seen stomping multiple times on several Florida International players on the ground. Meriweather was ultimately suspended by the ACC and Miami for his role in the incident. It is believed that his actions during the brawl and the shooting incident may have caused his draft stock to slip.

In the pros:
New England Patriots
Meriweather was selected in the first round (24th overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft by the New England Patriots. During his rookie season most of his time was spent on special teams, and he finished the season with 28 tackles. He played in Super Bowl XLII as a third safety in the Patriots' defense behind Rodney Harrison and James Sanders. During his second season in 2008, Meriweather recorded his first career interception in Week 2 off New York Jets quarterback Brett Favre. After starting strong safety Rodney Harrison suffered a season-ending injury against the Denver Broncos in Week 7, Meriweather started the final 11 games. In Week 14, Meriweather recorded his first career sack to stifle a late-game Seattle Seahawks drive and secure a Patriots victory. He finished the season with 83 tackles, two sacks, and four interceptions.

In Week 7, Meriweather had two interceptions against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including one returned 39 yards for a touchdown, and was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week. He started all 16 games and finished the 2009 season with 83 tackles and five interceptions, and was named to his first Pro Bowl as a replacement to the injured Jairus Byrd.

Brandon Meriweather was not part of the Patriots base defense to begin the 2010 season, something which Meriweather described as a coaching decision as a result of him freelancing in the defense during training camp. After being replaced as a starter in Weeks 2 and 3 by James Sanders, Meriweather returned to his starting role in Week 4.

In Week 6, Meriweather was penalized for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Baltimore Ravens tight end Todd Heap. While Heap walked off the field and would later return, the hit, grouped together with other helmet-to-helmet hits on defenseless receivers from NFL players during the week, sparked controversy over the protection of players. The NFL took action the following Tuesday when they fined Meriweather $50,000 for the hit. Following the game, the league announced that it would begin suspending players for dangerous hits, particularly those involving helmet to helmet hits on defenseless receivers.

In 16 games played (13 starts), Meriweather recorded 68 tackles, three interceptions, and six passes defensed. He was named to his second Pro Bowl following the season.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Meriweather

Find me some good footage, HH. I'll plug it in. :)

Just looked, and there ain't much out there.

Just FYI, wasn't knocking your selection there; rather the creator of the video. But I guess there's just so much good stuff out there, I'm spoiled.

TorresA from the other place is stellar. I dunno if he's on here or not. Maybe I'll hit him up later.

How about a low-light reel: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNypDGoC_8M[/media]

Yes, that's our new SS stomping someone on the field. Thought we were done with stompers?

I do NOT like this signing at all. Not one bit. Contrary to all the "high-character" stuff the FO has been spewing for awhile.

No worries, HH. I had already looked around and only found that....not sure exactly what it says. Man made 2 Pro Bowls...even as part of Brady's Bunch he had to have done something youtoobz worthy. :cool:

No doubt this is the first signing in a while that has any "ugh" factor attached to it. Really like the overall good-guy direction the current regime has been taking the locker room....so kinda hoping Shanahan knows what he's doing with this one.

He's a new Redskin, so I'll give him a clean slate benefit of the doubt, but there will be a little bit of trepidation and a short leash too.

Mr. Meriweather, meet your new best friend.

30950d1323965662-buccaneers-considered-firing-coach-raheem-morris-1_raheem_morris.jpg

No team has a perfect cast of characters. I'd imagine the contract if friendly to dealing with any problems he causes. Sometimes a new scene surrounded by good people works wonders.

only question I have is why Chicago didn't want to resign a 26 year old, 2-time pro bowl player?

Remains to be seen, BT. Good thing about the kind of contract he signed is, they won't think twice about letting him go if they don't like what he brings. My guess is he'll flash that talent enough to stick for the 2012 season, start some, back up some, then be replaced by comparable talent with better character in 2013.

well, it's not exactly as if we have a whole lot of talent for him to compete with for the starting job :)

the cupboard is bare.

The 2 years, $6 million says to me this is basically a "take a look" signing. If they'd signed this guy to a 5 year deal with multimillions in guarantees I'd probably have a very different reaction. As it is, I'm thinking "meh, kid's got talent, we need DB help. Let's see if we can kick his ass into shape and maybe find something. If not, he's gone."

The realities of NFL finance never cease to amaze me. I wish someone would pay me $6 million for a "look see". Is that really what NFL execs say like "oh well sure he's got issues but it's only six million?"

B.

The 2 years, $6 million says to me this is basically a "take a look" signing. If they'd signed this guy to a 5 year deal with multimillions in guarantees I'd probably have a very different reaction. As it is, I'm thinking "meh, kid's got talent, we need DB help. Let's see if we can kick his ass into shape and maybe find something. If not, he's gone."

Well said. Hopefully the Skins will draft the future starter with Merriweather as a stop gap at most for now. If he performs as anything more than a basic stop gap than that would just be gravy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.