• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins FA Signings Thread

You misunderstand me.

In re Cooley it is not the deal he got a couple of years ago, but rather his 2012 cap number that has me concerned.

He is set to count as I recall $4.9M.

My point is that I might have considered jettisoning Cooley and taking the risk of finding another TE to pair with Davis in order to be able to be a player for one of the OL that signed last week or one of the corners.

To my way of thinking OL and CB are more critical spots to nail down.

If you have a Jimmy Graham or young Tony Gonzalez perhaps the calculation is different, but at 3O plus and coming off missing an entire season I don't see Cooley in that light going forward.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Fletch re-signs - four year deal.

Edited to add...

Not so fast. It appears like someone on twitter was playing a joke. Bah. Got four windows open to twitter feeds and it sure looked real for a few minutes. Ah well.

Which Twitter accounts reported that? I didn't see it at all.

You misunderstand me.

In re Cooley it is not the deal he got a couple of years ago, but rather his 2012 cap number that has me concerned.

He is set to count as I recall $4.9M.

My point is that I might have considered jettisoning Cooley and taking the risk of finding another TE to pair with Davis in order to be able to be a player for one of the OL that signed last week or one of the corners.

To my way of thinking OL and CB are more critical spots to nail down.

If you have a Jimmy Graham or young Tony Gonzalez perhaps the calculation is different, but at 3O plus and coming off missing an entire season I don't see Cooley in that light going forward.

What's to say Cooley won't restructure his deal ?

But that's the point, I don't think the team has approached him.

So, unless there is news to the contrary, it looks as if the Redskins are not aggressively pursuing the option of closing the gaps at OT and CB, but are now in wait and see mode to let the draft unfold in April and then see which veteran free agents are cut over the summer.

Fiscally that might make sense, but how long have the Redskins needed help at OT?

Ever since Jon Jansen went down in consecutive seasons with the achilles, Washington has been short a RT.

To their credit, the Redskins drafted Trent Williams high at No. 4 to address a need after Chris Samuels retired, so there has been an investment.

But as with the DL last year, we need MORE.

And the risk of waiting until June is that in some years the type of veterans that come available are not the same caliber of players you pass on in a Mathis or Winston in the first tier of free agency.

Anyone remember Levi Jones?

I want to see us come up with better candidates than that.

Is there a a)draft pick tree, or b)salary cap tree I'm unaware of? The line wasn't horrible, and we need to see what the team does with the draft before we panic. We got hammered by unprecedented salary cap constraints less than 24 hours before FA started.

Relax. If we draft a bunch of fullbacks, then it's time to panic.

True, I haven't heard of the team going to Cooley, but I have to agree with Goaldeje, there is time. Restructuring can happen so quickly, and like I said in another thread, I think we're waiting to see what happens at the owners meeting next week concerning our cap spanking.

I agree on the needs, but there's so much of a back story right now, it has to unfold a bit before we revise our plans. Even with lots of pics which we don't have , and cap space, it doesn't happen over night. We all know that.

We need to get this cap penalty resolved soon. Next season I believe Orakpo comes up with some others. I would hate to lose him because of this penalty.

It's going to cause Allen to do what he doesn't like to do - restructure deals to add cap space.

Also there should be some salaries coming off the books with Moss, Gaffney, Cooley, Grossman, Hall, ect potentially leaving the organization.

It's going to cause Allen to do what he doesn't like to do - restructure deals to add cap space.

Also there should be some salaries coming off the books with Moss, Gaffney, Cooley, Grossman, Hall, ect potentially leaving the organization.

They just re-signed Grossman, I don't think he'll be coming off the books unless he regresses completely in TC.

Rex is on a 1 Year deal, Lanky.

Uh-oh. That means he's gonna tear it up this year, being a 'contract year'.

This could mean a stiff competition and a QB controversy between RG3 and Rex.

;)

Don't be surprised if Rex is starting day one. He knows this offense inside and out and whether you guys want to believe it or not, RG3 is a college prospect not an NFL veteran.

I don't see that happening. Yeah - he's a rook, but Griffin isn't just any rook. He's the most expensive draft pick in Redskins history, and like most recent highly-coveted QBs, he'll win the starting job in training camp/pre-season, and be the starter trotting out onto Fed Ex Field for the opener in September.

I'll be shocked if that's not the case.

I'm with Boone. Whether Griffin or Luck, whoever we draft #2 is the opening day starter. Even Rex sounds like he knows that's the plan in his interviews after signing again.

I don't see that happening. Yeah - he's a rook, but Griffin isn't just any rook. He's the most expensive draft pick in Redskins history, and like most recent highly-coveted QBs, he'll win the starting job in training camp/pre-season, and be the starter trotting out onto Fed Ex Field for the opener in September.

I'll be shocked if that's not the case.

Barring a lengthy contract holdout

Rex is on a 1 Year deal, Lanky.

I read his comment as in the next few months they'd be coming off the books, or after June 1st. Would make no sense to sign Rex to a one year deal, and then cut him 3 months later...

Yes, I meant to imply in my comment that Rex's salary and those of the others would be largely coming off the books in 2013 either due to expiration, trade or release.

The Redskins are not going to let Orakpo go in free agency so they can keep a to be 33 year old receiver or 31 year old tight end who are in decline.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.