• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Notable Free Agent Signings

I'm surprised everyone is convinced Manning will ONLY choose to play in a warm weather city. Where did this theory come from ?

Well, for starters, he lives in Miami.

But I believe the main thing you see reported is that he prefers domes, or at least warmer, calmer weather for the passing game.

Wind and snow aren't optimal for the passing game.

Both Brees and Manning perform better inside.

And if you think about it, teams in the colder cities rarely have great passers.

Heard a discussion on sports radio this week that I think nailed it. The topic was just how important 'relationships' are to Manning. Given he's been in an ideal environment his entire career on that front (great relationship with owner, stable coaching, surrounded by supportive staff), the idea was that most other things being relatively equal, Manning will end up where he feels most comfortable with the people who will hire him.

Gotta wonder if that trumps a lot of other factors. Having made a employer change after 15 years somewhere recently (yeah, I know I'm not Peyton Manning and I don't work in the NFL), that argument rang true for me.

Twitter:

@BGObsession Adam Schefter reporting Alex Smith visiting Dolphins today. Matt Flynn's destination also now in question. SF better get PM now.

SF must be seriously comfortable with that kid they took last year from Boise St cause right now they are playing with fire. I can see Smith signing somewhere else and then Manning going to Denver. Not saying I think that will happen, just that I can see it.

Depends on how serious Manning is about what's best for him regarding football. If he is serious about that, SF is a no-brainer.

If Miami were to get Smith, that would leave Matt Flynn looking at Seattle as his only real suitor, right?

Makes me wonder if we pulled the trigger too quickly on giving Grossman an extension. I'd like having Matt Flynn as a back-up.

Boone, my guess is that if he knows he will be a backup, he will go back to Green Bay. I think that's what I would do, if I were him.

Money might come into play at that point. It's not going to happen regardless now, just questioning why we made the deal w/Rex before we had to. Then again, how Grossman has survived 3 years, as a STARTER no less, defies understanding :)

And if you think about it, teams in the colder cities rarely have great passers.

Tom Brady, Ben Rothlesberger and Aaron Rodgers. 6 of the last 11 Super Bowls between them.

Some would suggest that Eli in NYC is a cold weather QB, but I have explained my thoughts on him so I will leave him out of the discussion.

Last edited:
And I thought the same thing Boone, why sign Rex when Flynn could probably be had at a reasonable rate. I think the reason he is not getting much of a look is because he wants too much money and with Alex Smith visiting Miami, I am beginning to believe Philbin knows something about Flynn that has others concerned.

Tom Brady, Ben Rothlesberger and Aaron Rodgers. 6 of the last 11 Super Bowls between them.

How many great QBs has Buffalo had in their history? 1?

Minny?

The Jets?

Seattle?

Chicago?

Denver? 1?

Those climates are better for a running game. Not so much for a passing game.

It's why teams like the Falcons, Indy and the Saints have problems on the road.

Seattle isn't anymore of a cold weather climate than Washington DC is. I don't think you can consider either place in the same category with Green Bay, New England, Buffalo and Chicago.

And as El has pointed out, Brady, Rothlesberger and Rogers go against whatever trend you are trying to establish. Add to that years of Favre in Green Bay, Elway in Denver (followed by pretty successful runs by Greise, Plummer and Cutler), Palmer for a couple of seasons in Cincy, Manning and Simms in NY, Bledsoe in NE before Brady...well...I think you get the picture. There is plenty of evidence to disprove the whole "cold weather" argument against passing.

Besides, one can make the same argument against warm weather if you want. Miami has lacked a great passer since Marino, Tampa Bay has never really had one, the Cards pre dome...

Great QBs are great QBs.

That' the beauy of this site. Everyone can have their own opinion. Personally, I believe bad weather adversely impacts the passing game, and drops scoring in games.

Certainly it's easier to throw the ball, or kick the ball for that matter, inside of a dome rather than outside in driving rain, snow or high winds.

And I won't argue those points, McD5. In fact, I think the evidence certainly points to cold weather being a factor for dome and warm weather teams.

But I also think that for teams that live, practice and play in the elements in cold weather climates, they get used to it and becomes something of a "home field advantage". I have not doubt that if Peyton went to Denver, he would acclimate to the situation and only the worst of the weather up there would continue to be an issue for him.

Matt Flynn signed with the Seahags. I can no longer root for him.

Matt Flynn signed with the Seahags. I can no longer root for him.

The first time you see our offense with Griffin under center, you won't even be able to remember Mike Flynn's name :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.