• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency this year should put to rest demons of the past

stevenaa

The Team Captain
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
I really think that how the team handles Free Agency this year will be the definitive statement on if we've really left the past behind. Reading over the WR thread left me with some concern about this team making the right choices. I'd really like to enter an offseason without concern about how the team will handle signings. I'm still apprehensive about it, and would really like not to be. It saps some of the enjoyment out of looking forward to new talent. Hopefully, they'll add supporting roles that are quality, youthful players who don't bring a crap load of drama. Shanahan needs to resist the tempation to go too quickly here. He doesn't need to justify the cost of RG3 in year one.

We may not have a free agency. We may be releasing a bunch of players.

I think I'm about ready to proclaim the demons dead. We obviously have a very speciific plan, which doesn't seem to include overpaying older declining players or head cases. We saw it last year, and the trend is continuing I think. So far, it's hard not to be pleased.

Yea, 3 years ago we would have outbid TB for VJ by a country a mile. The contrast is stark.

I'm glad. For some reason, I felt like VJax would've been a big mistake for our club.

Cerrato would have given Jackson the $132M/7 year deal that Detroit gave to Calvin Johnson.

How old is Garçon? :)

But you don't know we are overpaying. You assume you know.

The whole "overpaying" thing is amazing to me....so many people throw that line out there so easily....and it has ZERO context. No objective standard exists, for one. For two, the Redskins and any number of other teams have shown over and over again that contracts can be structured and REstructured so easily that only the true megacontracts ever turn out to have any tangible impact on their salary cap and ability to put together a roster.

And yet? "Omg! We overpaid!"

Giggle.

The best part is what we're about to see next. The requisite attempt to justify the claim. :)

Considering how much hell Holmgren is raising over getting screwed (supposedly) it's readily apparent that we didn't overpay, we payed the market value. Was it steep? Yes, but that's what the actual market was for the trade and there were at least 2 (maybe more) teams that were willing to pay the same price if not more. So by definition we absolutely didn't overpay. Now if he busts then it was a burn, but the value for that #2 pick wouldn't be any different.

Yep. Same with Garcon...teams don't pull these contract numbers out of their asses, they structure them based on the market that THEY know is there. We fans have zero clue what the network the teams have access to tells them about where the line is.

When a team has a guy targeted that they want, they have to be prepared to make sure their offer is sufficiently north of that line to seal the deal. If that gets it done, they're good to go. If it doesn't...and the player balks, they back off. Witness Eddie Royal. Witness perhaps what is happening with London.

It's business.

Yep. Same with Garcon...teams don't pull these contract numbers out of their asses, they structure them based on the market that THEY know is there.
To be fair, that was certainly not the case when Vinny was running the show. I think we as fans (and certainly outside observers such as other teams fans and the media) have etched on our memory years and years where we have not been able/willing to pay players proper market value due to an ineptly run FO.

I have been impressed by and large with Shannahan and Allen but think it will take a track record of a few years under them to change perceptions and to allow most Skins fans to let down their guard and allow themselves to be purely optimistic again about the types of deals our team signs players for.

The whole "overpaying" thing is amazing to me....so many people throw that line out there so easily....and it has ZERO context. No objective standard exists, for one. For two, the Redskins and any number of other teams have shown over and over again that contracts can be structured and REstructured so easily that only the true megacontracts ever turn out to have any tangible impact on their salary cap and ability to put together a roster.

And yet? "Omg! We overpaid!"

Giggle.

a receiver who had never had a thousand yard season, never had more than 75 catches and wasnt even his own teams number on guy got a 45 million dollar contract, even if you strictly base it on potential, you then base the supposition on what similiar players and what other players got, do you think Garcon is better than Desean Jackson? I suppose you could say Jacksons consussions affect him, so then you look at meachum, etc etc its not exactly a vacuum.

and yes giving up 3 firsts and a second is overpaying.

a receiver who had never had a thousand yard season, never had more than 75 catches and wasnt even his own teams number on guy got a 45 million dollar contract, even if you strictly base it on potential, you then base the supposition on what similiar players and what other players got, do you think Garcon is better than Desean Jackson? I suppose you could say Jacksons consussions affect him, so then you look at meachum, etc etc its not exactly a vacuum.

and yes giving up 3 firsts and a second is overpaying.

This thousand yard thing to me is so arbitrary. Yes, it's a pretty round number, but is 970 yards really different than a thousand? Esp. when you have Orlovsky and Painter throwing the ball?

Now, you could make the argument that the numbers were artificially inflated because the Colts were always behind and so his near thousand yard season shouldn't count, but I think that shining on a team like that might just be impressive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.