• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

With Peyton Gone, Time To Re-Evaluate Options

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
Robert Griffin is the sexiest, but not the only option. Depending upon the Rams' stance on the compensation for Griffin, the Redskins should consider a strategy of signing Kyle Orton in FA and then selecting Ryan Tannehill in the draft.

By late April at the draft, the team may have a better feel for where the other top 10-12 picks are headed in terms of team needs after free agency and it may be possible to drop down a few spots and still take Tannehill while recouping a draft choice as we did last year.

If Cleveland goes for Flynn and Miami gets Manning that takes out teams in the top 8 in competition for another qb.

And with the #2 pick not going to Cleveland or Miami or in this case Washington the Rams may end up sending the pick to the Seahawks or another team.

The darkhorse to me in the Griffin scenario. It would not surprise me one bit to see the Vikings take Griffin if the Rams pass on him or the asking price comes down as a result of all these other moves.

Christian Ponder could end up as trade bait.

The only fear I have with the Tannehill scenario is how far he does indeed fall. He will not likely make it past the Seahawks, maybe not the Dolphins even if they get Manning because they are still building too, so who do we trade down to and still not let Tannehill slip too far? I still believe that Locker was a target at 10 last year and when we couldn't get him, Ponder was the backup because very few, if any, pundit/s thought he would go before the 16h pick.

My concern is that Shanahan will not let that happen again this year and if RG3 does get selected at #2, then they might not hesitate to take Tannehill at 6. I am not saying that is inevitable, just a feeling I get and well, I am who I am...not an NFL GM. :laugh:

But ultimately, I would prefer the Orton/Tannehill or maybe Weeden scenario much more than losing 4 potential starters by trading up for RG3.

Edit: So much for my wish list!

Nah, we just over paid to get a RB who lines up under Center.

Well, any RB with a 72.4% completion rate on 4,000 yards with 36 passing TDs is welcome to line up under C for my team. Just sayin'.

Well, any RB with a 72.4% completion rate on 4,000 yards with 36 passing TDs is welcome to line up under C for my team. Just sayin'.

Yeah, I know you're high on the kid and his college stats in one season are impressive, but I am not sold. I understand the excitement. This is a bold move! I just have a gut feeling that we're making an error to go all-in for RG3. In the other thread Goal called some of us Negative Nancies, but we are entitled to our opinion.

If anything has taught me in the last 20 years, it's to not get overly excited about anything Redskins. That does not mean I have equal or lesser faith in the current Front Office than previous regime's, after last year's draft it looks like they are lifting us up out of the doldrums. We are a team on the rise in my view.

As the hour approached with an almost certainty we'd be trading up, I began to warm to the idea of RG3 coming to the Skins so I began to watch his highlight tapes again. Having done so and now that the trade has been made, I am not pleased with the price tag.

Once again, I find myself saying that I hope I am wrong! More than that, I hope the Colts draft RG3 and we are "stuck" with Luck! :laugh:

Stuck with Luck? I like that, you should trademark it!

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, El. And I'm entitled to mine, that you're wrong.

:D

One year is a problem for you, El. I get that. So let's talk his whole college career, shall we?

He threw for over 10K yards, over a 66% completion percentage and 77 TDs against 17 INTs. Are you kidding me? Hell, his numbers as a Freshman were better than any QB we have had in a Redskins uni since at least Brad Johnson and maybe since Ryp's last Super Bowl year. He threw for over 2000 yards on nearly a 60% completion rate with 17 TDs vs only 3 INTs. As a Freshman!

One year is a problem for you, El. I get that. So let's talk his whole college career, shall we?

He threw for over 10K yards, over a 66% completion percentage and 77 TDs against 17 INTs. Are you kidding me? Hell, his numbers as a Freshman were better than any QB we have had in a Redskins uni since at least Brad Johnson and maybe since Ryp's last Super Bowl year. He threw for over 2000 yards on nearly a 60% completion rate with 17 TDs vs only 3 INTs. As a Freshman!

It's college football Neo. He has done nothing in the NFL.

Drew Brees would have cost us less. That doesn't concern you? Here we are giving away 3 1st round picks and a 2nd for a college QB who put together some exciting stats and highlights. That is too much in my view.

I am not kidding you Neo. I am not pleased with the trade. I think it's too much.

And the thing that is not being discussed is his knee. Now he seems to have ad a full recovery, but that should have been a major contributing factor in this decision.

Yeah, it's college football. I hear ya. News flash, so far Luck and Griffin have both exactly the same thing in the NFL. If that's the case, why are you high on Luck and down on Griffin?

Guys who make their living scouting, who eat and sleep football, who have forgotten more about playing the QB position in the NFL, think Luck and Griffin are 1 and 1a (and some debate which guy is 1).

I just don't get your concern here.

El, come on. I have worried about his injuries as well, but if you think ANY team in the NFL would spend the number two draft pick on any kid without fully vetting his injuries, you've lost your mind. Injuries happen, and medical science isn't exact, but I am willing to bet that his knee was poked and prodded and triple checked more times than any of us care to know about.

Yeah, it's college football. I hear ya. News flash, so far Luck and Griffin have both exactly the same thing in the NFL. If that's the case, why are you high on Luck and down on Griffin?

Guys who make their living scouting, who eat and sleep football, who have forgotten more about playing the QB position in the NFL, think Luck and Griffin are 1 and 1a (and some debate which guy is 1).

I just don't get your concern here.

I think it's too high a price for Luck too. But I would be much more comfortable with Luck as the pick because he does not run at the 1st hint of pressure, RG3 does. There are other tangibles, but I think the price was too high for any QB who has not taken a snap in the NFL, especially for a team that really can't afford to lose potential starters.

Edit: Well Goal, I guess I have lost my mind. And Neo, those same pundits and NFL scouts have been drastically wrong more often than not over the last 10 years about the QB's that have been the next coming of Manning, Elway or whomever. Not saying they are here, and I am no scout for sure, but that doesn't stop my gut feeling that this price tag is too high.

Last edited:
If El is right, then he can let us know in a couple of years. If not, he joins in the fun of watching RG3 light up the league. No problems here. :)

Here is what I will re-evaluate...

How many RG3 jerseys to get and what colors.

And BB, I hope I am wrong, but I am too stained by years of ineptitude to think we are going to get the better end of this deal. I just won't get excited about it until I see the QB we draft making big time NFL plays and not college highlight reel plays.

What highlights are you watching, El? Highlights of this kid have been all over my local news for the last 4 years and I don't see a guy who tucks and runs at the first sign of trouble. I see a guy who looks to pass until the last possible second and then gets all he can on ground.

More importantly, I see a guy who is coachable and as such can be taught to be a pass first guys even in situations where he might not instinctively do that.

And even if he does run, he is built more like Newton and less like Vick so I am less concerned about the injuries that seem to plague Vick because defenses punish him so much.

Yeah, I know you're high on the kid and his college stats in one season are impressive, but I am not sold. I understand the excitement. This is a bold move! I just have a gut feeling that we're making an error to go all-in for RG3. In the other thread Goal called some of us Negative Nancies, but we are entitled to our opinion.

Just to comment here - this isn't like some other places - we obviously welcome all view points. I can't stand the 'herd mentality' at some other sites where, if you don't agree with the consensus (or in some cases, staff) viewpoint, you are stoned or burned at the stake.

I think we can all respect there are differing viewpoints and skepticism.

One thing about your comment about having 'learned' from your past Redskins fan experience....Are you sure you've 'learned' - or is it more having been *conditioned* to expect doom and failure? I totally get your hesitation to embrace this kind of a move. But I do question if maybe it's not a little bit like 'whistling past the graveyard' because your experience tells you nothing the Redskins ever do pans out? I certainly have felt those same things myself. But I think this is a unique scenario and may represent a true turning of the corner for the Redskins, not more of the same failed, futile strategy.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Peyton, you laughed and scoffed at the Redskins over the last few days. Thought you could stay the center of attention for a while, eh? Look at who was able to push you to page two of the news - yes, the Redskins. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.