• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The effort to re-sign Fletcher

Took the liberty of moving our exchange here, Ax. Housekeeping and whatnot.

Ax,

Appreciate you taking the time to write up that closing argument. I could suggest, I suppose, that the case you've made is 100% circumstantial or speculative, but I won't.
Good. The case for every player ever drafted/signed was circumstantial, and/or speculative.

And, at this stage of the game, we're not a defense worth a damn. We're still learning how to ride this bike. I think it's too early to take off one of the training wheels.

As far as a number goes, I haven't a clue. I don't pay much attention to it really. But if I were to fancy a scenario, it would go like this.

As you said in the other thread, I don't think there will be a huge market for a 37 year old guy who would have to learn a new coaching staff and players. Fletcher's best option for success on the field is here. Maybe he thinks whatever offer we've made him is a little low, so he wants to get another offer/opinion. He should if that's what he believes.

If he gets a better offer, we should match it. I say that believing no one will over him a deal we couldn't reasonably afford.

Took the liberty of moving our exchange here, Ax. Housekeeping and whatnot.
That's cool. I knew this was a better place, but I answered where you asked.

Thanks for the repositioning.

Not just the fans that want Fletch back:

Adam Carriker‏@BigPoppaPump94Reply
@LFletcher59 Hey man, I'm standing at the front door of Redskin Park, WHERE YOU AT?!

Truth is I'm not really up for a debate on how big or small a damn our D is worth as of March 14, either with OR w/o Fletch, so let's save that for now. Since this was specifically about Fletch's impact/worth in that D heading into 2012, though....

We're on the same page on the contract thing. I don't think he'll find a better offer than the one the Skins are likely to offer, and I hope he accepts it. It won't be a contract either of us deems over the top.

Here's to it. And here's to it leading to a long career on the coaching staff here once he's done tackling dudes.

Here's to it. And here's to it leading to a long career on the coaching staff here once he's done tackling dudes.

I get the sense the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Sounds like the Redskins are going to have a busy second half of the day.

Pats interested in Gaffney if he is cut. Heck, give us one of those late first rounders and it is a deal. Otherwise Billy Bob, he stays in DC. :)

If we could get any kind of pick for Gaffney I'd say do it. We can keep Moss on as the wise old slot receiver.

Pats interested in Gaffney if he is cut. Heck, give us one of those late first rounders and it is a deal. Otherwise Billy Bob, he stays in DC. :)

I don't even need a late 1st for him. I'd be fine with a 4th or 5th at this point, I think. Hell, maybe a 6th. Anything is better than outright cutting him.

A first rounder for Gaffney? You are off your rocker!

I think BB was joking... At least I hope he was. :laugh:

we will need London, we wont get a player capable of taking his spot in the later rounds (at least its unlikely) we already went through our year of crapulence due to running a scheme with no players im not interested in watching another season like that. so sign him to a 2 year deal and next year we draft or sign a free agent to take his spot.

I say keep moss lose stalworth and gaffney.

I don't get how the team is handling Fletcher. On the logical side, I get the guy only has a few more years left in the tank. I think some fans just argue from an emotional/sentimental vantage point. I don't care as much about him being a 'true Redskin' (what does that mean anyway). But he is highly capable. We throw cash at guys who have never worn the uniform, but we can't make someone like London Fletcher happy? Make him an offer he can't refuse. I can't imagine it's going to take a King's ransom to keep him here.

What we cannot know at this point is whether the reason he hasn't re-signed yet is the team is lowballing him or him asking too much. I keep going back to "what is a reasonable offer?" for that reason. There is no objective standard to judge that by, and clearly you're going to get a different opinion from just about anyone you ask.

I actually consider it GOOD news we're not reading about this in the press. If we were it would say to me that they're far apart and posturing/jockeying for public support. That rarely leads to happy endings.

I don't think the Redskins can afford to resign Fletcher if the team doesn't release either Moss or Cooley or work out a deal for Hall.

I don't know the figures, but my guess is that Fletcher is looking for somewhere around $12M in guarantees and that is a LOT for a soon to be 37 year old position player that is not a qb.

The Redskins are simply not close enough to being a Super Bowl team to just swallow that figure and give him the money with no other contingency plans in place.

That means he could still be a target for teams like the Eagles and Patriots that need help at LB.

We still need help at OL and CB. I think the Redskins are moving forward in trying to sign Grubbs and Aaron Ross for those spots.

The team likely won't commit dollars to Fletcher until those signings are or are not made.

Well, I agree - I've thought all along this is more about what Fletcher wants than what the Skins want - that's why all the Resign59 stuff on Twitter strikes me as silly. Fletcher is the one who decides whether we resign him here, not the Redskins. Still, seems like he's got enough value that the Skins should have been able to get him on board without him looking elsewhere.

Fletch is getting closer to being a done deal. The LB market is dry and he knows it. It's just a matter of time now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.