• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Tender Gano, Lichtensteiger, Franchise Davis

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
March 2, 2012

REDSKINS TENDER GRAHAM GANO AND KORY LICHTENSTEIGER,
PLACE FRANCHISE TAG ON FRED DAVIS

ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have placed the franchise tag on tight end Fred Davis and tendered exclusive rights free agent kicker Graham Gano and restricted free agent guard Kory Lichtensteiger. Terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Davis, 26, is coming off a career season in which he established single-season highs in receptions (59) and receiving yards (796). The 796 yards were the fourth-most in a season by a tight end in Redskins history. During his four-year NFL career, Davis has recorded 131 receptions for 1,648 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Gano, 24, converted 31-of-41 field goal attempts in 2011, establishing a career high for field goals made in a season. The 31 field goals made matched Chip Lohmiller (1991) for the second-most field goals made in a season in team history. In Week 9 against San Francisco, Gano established a new Redskins record for longest field goal made by converting a 59-yard attempt.

Lichtensteiger, 26, played in five games in 2011, starting all five at left guard before being placed on the Reserve/Injured list with a knee injury. Lichtensteiger has appeared in 37 career games with 19 starts in three seasons of NFL service.

It looks like Landry is gone more than likely. I'm pretty sure we had rights to make a tender offer. Can't really blame them for letting him go, but it scares me to death thinking how we're going to replace him.

Graham Gano. I think that if it was a good option for the redskins,
Maybe if it was better than Shaun Suisham.

None of this surprises me. I haven't been expecting us to re-sign Landry.

It looks like Landry is gone more than likely. I'm pretty sure we had rights to make a tender offer. Can't really blame them for letting him go, but it scares me to death thinking how we're going to replace him.
Same way we've been replacing him. Dude never plays, he won't be missed.

The Gano move makes some sense. If someone makes him an offer and we don't accept will get a pick in return. This doesn't mean he will be our kicker next season.

Don't like any of this, except for Lichty.
Gano doesn't deserve to be on the team, and Davis surely doesn't deserve Franchise.

Gano is actually one of the guys I wanted them to keep the most. It really feels like the kid is on the cusp of getting this figured out and nailing down the job for years to come. Take out the 5 blocks he had last year that are likely the results and his numbers get pretty respectable.

Let's face it, kicker has been almost as big an issue for the Skins as QB for the last 2 decades and I am ready to have the position be one of strength rather than weakness. My nightmare is that we give up on Gano just as he is "getting it" and he goes on to great for some other team for the next 12 to 15 years.

You beat me to the punch Bob. We have a long history of impatience with kickers who we release and then go on to be rock solid or better for other teams. I was actually impressed for most of the season by Gano. Yeah, he made some mistakes (but some of his struggles weren't all on him). I'd like to give him another year to see if he can take the next step.

well...the tagging is sorta symbolic of the talent limitations on this team. it's not as though we're talking proven difference makers here.

Tagging or tendering? It might also just be a function of the particular guys up for new contracts this year. For example, do you really think Sleepy would have been tagged if Rak were coming up in FA? Or if Landry were healthy and coming off two great All Pro years?

Timing is everything.

Tagging or tendering? It might also just be a function of the particular guys up for new contracts this year. For example, do you really think Sleepy would have been tagged if Rak were coming up in FA? Or if Landry were healthy and coming off two great All Pro years?

Timing is everything.

some truth there. the response being that there's not enough talent from year to year to have at least one stellar desiginee every year.

I'm not so sure, FS. Consider that right now there are only 11 teams using their Franchise tag for 2012. Granted, more could be coming in the next few days. But at this point, only five of this year's 12 playoff teams have used their tag. That is less than 50% of what one would assume are 12 of the most talented clubs in the NFL.

The five blocked kicks were all chip shots or well within the range for Gano. He probably hits all five and that makes him 36-41 on the season. That's nearly 90% right there - dang good kicking. Gano is the best we have had since Lohmiller. Glad to know that he will be staying.

Exactly how many compromising pictures of the Front office does Gano have?

It can not be that difficult to replace this guy.

Gano's main struggles last year came from the o-line. With all of the injuries, our depth there was horrible. Yes, Gano's numbers look bad, but he did not play as bad as they appear. I think Gano deserves another shot.

Most of the good kickers in the league have been around a while. It usually takes kickers a couple of years to come into their own. Of course, there are exceptions. Many clubs give up on kickers way too fast. Look what happened with us and David Akers. We cut him, he goes to Philly who sends him to Europe, and when he returns, he is excellent. It took him a couple of years to get it, but he did and they had a kicker for 11 years or so.

I am glad about Davis getting the tag. The tag number this year is pretty low for TEs. He needs to prove he can stay clean before he gets a larger deal. He will definitely play out this year on this one year deal and will be re-evaluated next offseason. This was the best possible move because the free agent TE list is slim and the draft is even worse. Good move by our front office.

Gano's main struggles last year came from the o-line. With all of the injuries, our depth there was horrible. Yes, Gano's numbers look bad, but he did not play as bad as they appear. I think Gano deserves another shot.

Most of the good kickers in the league have been around a while. It usually takes kickers a couple of years to come into their own. Of course, there are exceptions. Many clubs give up on kickers way too fast. Look what happened with us and David Akers. We cut him, he goes to Philly who sends him to Europe, and when he returns, he is excellent. It took him a couple of years to get it, but he did and they had a kicker for 11 years or so.

I am glad about Davis getting the tag. The tag number this year is pretty low for TEs. He needs to prove he can stay clean before he gets a larger deal. He will definitely play out this year on this one year deal and will be re-evaluated next offseason. This was the best possible move because the free agent TE list is slim and the draft is even worse. Good move by our front office.

yea...knda rowing in the same direction with you on this.

Big supporter of Gano here. One of my favorite players on the team, although I know that view isn't popular with many fans.

I believe fans tend to forget, or at least greatly discount that he is also an exceptional punter. He remains to this day, to be the only punter in NCAA history to be named the MVP of a bowl game. Sure, his leg is strong, and he's also a great tackler for a kicker--especially important when Danny Smith is the ST coach--he saved a few tds for us last season. But his value as a punter is tremendous.

If Sav Rocca gets injured for half a season, we have no worries with Gano. And we won't be forced to sign a new punter, or forced to dismiss an unseen talent. Imagine now if we hadn't seen what a guy on the bubble like Royster could do last season. That's a huge benefit that few teams possess.

I just hope he gains the same confidence in the pros that he had when he was at FSU. The kid was almost perfect there. I remember him being on fire while I was at school there, but I didn't realize he was 92% that year, kicking 5 straight 50 yards FG's.

Boone & Neo echoed my thoughts on Gano - its about time the team showed some patience with a kicker. Just look at Novak in San Diego & Shazzam in Pittsburgh; both were on the roster at one point. Novak was a pro-bowler this year!

Landry will be a UFA, we had no tender-rights on him. The only option they had was to tag him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.