• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Reversal: What if the Colts take RGIII?

CarolinaSkin43

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
what happens if Indy takes RGIII with the first pick...do we still give up the farm for Andrew Luck....?Because if RGIII stock keeps rising Indy may say we can't offord to give this guy to someone else...so I personally don't think you give up as much to geet there to draft Andrew luck... just my opinnion.i would much rather see RGIII in burgundy and gold than luck...I believe that he could take this franchise to a new level...and be one of the most exciting players to watch in the NFL....look what Newton did in Carolina...i guess I'm just wishing.

Last edited:
The only reason Andrew Luck is not getting the hype that RG3 is getting is because RG3 is there. Luck is a once in a generation prospect as well, make no mistake. RG3 is getting all the press for his measurables - Luck ran a 4.59 40, the same as Cam Newton. He ain't slow.

Really, we can't lose no matter who the Colts take #1 overall.

i guess your right ...for some reason i was just thinking how exciting it would be to have a double threat ...good arm along with the ability to damage opponets with his running ability... only downfall would be can he stay healthy if he has to run for his life ... would he not be like Michael Vick?...

If the Colts take RGIII we thank the football gods and move up as fast as we can, take Luck and don't look back.

I agree with Henry! Take Luck at all costs! Wait! Who am I? :laugh:

The reason Luck does not get the fanfare is because it is as close to a guarantee that Indy takes him as you can get.

In my mind, from what I've seen, Luck is the far superior QB between the 2. He will have a longer career in the NFL because he does what Peyton and Brady do so well, he avoids the rush by taking the least amount of contact possible. Hey may take a hit, but he knows how to make the defender get the least from it. The reason it was surprising to many of the average fans who watched Luck's performance at the combine, was because he rarely depends on it in his play.

What I saw from Griffin reminds me too much of Michael Vick in the pocket. While he is going to have some success from the pocket given time, he is too quick to run. When he does, he is willing to take a hit to get that extra yard. Griffin relies on his athleticism too much and he takes a lot of hits because of it. Everyone was wowed by RG3's 40 time, well did they see what some of the LB's were running who were in the 245 lb range? Some of the DE's who were running 4.6 forties at 285 pounds? RG3's game better evolve in the NFL or he is going to get crushed. There's a big difference between 225 and 265 but not a lot of difference between 4.4 and 4.5/4.6.

I'll admit that the only thing I know about Luck comes from 4 games I've watched him play, and what I've heard about him. Obviously, you can't judge anyone on 4 games, but from the games I watched, he didn't impress me at all.

Not only that, he's a west coast QB. I don't know how it stands all time, but in my lifetime, every west coast QB that was hyped, came to the NFL and didn't come close to living up to expectations.

Remember, we considered trading the future of the franchise for Sanchez.

In my lifetime, here are some notable west coasters who got their fair share of hype.

1. Jake Locker (way too early to tell)
2. Sanchez (looked promising, but his team thinks he's losing his ****)
3. Matt Leinart (dud)
4. Carson Palmer (could go either way, but injuries are mostly to blame)
5. Alex Smith (one decent season)
6. David Carr (dud)
7. Joey Harrington (dud)
8. Akili Smith (pffffft)
9. Ryan Leaf (HAHAHAHAHAHA)
10. Trent Dilfer ( :yawnee: )
11. Drew Bledsoe (started hot, fizzled hard)
12. Troy Aikman (**** the Cowboys)
13. John Elway (awesome QB)
14. Rich Campbell (0 career starts)
15. Jack Thompson (exactly)

This is just going back the last 32 years (what's happened in my lifetime). Guys that received the same praise as Luck The same comments were made about most of the players on this list. They were all top 10 picks that teams tried to build the franchise around, and they are all of the top 10 west coast QBs drafted in the top 10 in the last 32 years. For the most part, a pretty miserable list, when you consider teams were going crazy to get almost every one of these guys. I still emember how badly the Colts were talked about for not taking Leaf #1. People couldn't believe it. Leaf got more hype than what Luck is getting now. Hopefully the Colts won't be as lucky as the last time.

shanny wanted luck in tha first place , so no matter what happens they'll take either one ..if they move up , personally i think manning will not be a redskins ..lil shan and manning will not get along .. so i think skins and tha lambs will have a deal after free agency starts ! hopefully .....

Ex, the only one on that list who approaches Luck's skill set and NFL readiness and resulting hype is Elway. He worked out well. Luck is as close to a guarantee as you can get, IMO.

If we trade up to number two, we are all in position to draft one of two truly outstanding QBs. I know El would rather take Luck, so what he has to be hoping is that all this hype over RGIII causes Irsay to forget how good Luck is, as has happened to a lot of fans. Trust me, Luck is good. Really good. Luck probably is more of a sure thing because of the running style and injury history of RGIII.

We will be fine either way. Scratch that. We will be TERRIFIC either way.

Ex, the only one on that list who approaches Luck's skill set and NFL readiness and resulting hype is Elway. He worked out well. Luck is as close to a guarantee as you can get, IMO.
Not true, Ryan Leaf was hyped just as much, if not more than Luck. All the talk about Ryan Leaf was how NFL-ready he was, and how he was the best developed QB in the draft. I never said the players on this list had the skill set of Luck, just that the things being said about them were very similar.

I would bet money that RG3 turns out to be the stud of the two. From what I've seen, I just don't see it with Luck, he's shown me nothing to back the hype. But I guess if the media tells everyone how wonderful he is for so long, a lot of people are bound to believe it.

If we trade up to number two, we are all in position to draft one of two truly outstanding QBs. I know El would rather take Luck, so what he has to be hoping is that all this hype over RGIII causes Irsay to forget how good Luck is, as has happened to a lot of fans. Trust me, Luck is good. Really good. Luck probably is more of a sure thing because of the running style and injury history of RGIII.
Hype. That's all it is. The second coming of Ryan Leaf.

I agree with Henry! Take Luck at all costs! Wait! Who am I? :laugh:

The reason Luck does not get the fanfare is because it is as close to a guarantee that Indy takes him as you can get.

This is also a good reason - there is no mystique about where he will end up; its almost 100% that he goes to Indy 1st overall.

What I saw from Griffin reminds me too much of Michael Vick in the pocket. While he is going to have some success from the pocket given time, he is too quick to run. When he does, he is willing to take a hit to get that extra yard. Griffin relies on his athleticism too much and he takes a lot of hits because of it. Everyone was wowed by RG3's 40 time, well did they see what some of the LB's were running who were in the 245 lb range? Some of the DE's who were running 4.6 forties at 285 pounds? RG3's game better evolve in the NFL or he is going to get crushed. There's a big difference between 225 and 265 but not a lot of difference between 4.4 and 4.5/4.6.

Not me - I've seen RG3 make tough plays in the pocket, with pressure coming. He is not a run-first guy; he is looking to make a play with his arms first. Comparing him to early Vick is a disservice.

We will be fine either way. Scratch that. We will be TERRIFIC either way.

Yep. Its the true definition of a win-win scenario if we trade up to #2.

Aaron Rogers played at Cal. Pretty sure that is west coast.

Granted, he wasn't Top 10 and wasn't "hyped". Just sayin'.

Neo, there are plenty of good west coasters, I never said there wasn't. I just said generally the ones with all the hype do nothing with it. Nobody knew who Rodgers was until he started playing for the Packers the way he has.

I beg to differ, Extreme. He was considered the 2nd best QB coming out that year and a probable Top 10 pick. Many mocks had him going in the Top 5. He was invited to the Draft.

Everyone knew who he was and it was a huge Draft day surprise that he slipped as far as he did. In fact, it was the story of the first day.

I beg to differ, Extreme. He was considered the 2nd best QB coming out that year and a probable Top 10 pick. Many mocks had him going in the Top 5. He was invited to the Draft.

Everyone knew who he was and it was a huge Draft day surprise that he slipped as far as he did. In fact, it was the story of the first day.

It was the story of draft day that he slipped as far as he did - everyone was expecting him to go early.

EDIT: who can forget all the shots of him sitting there like a kicked puppy as the picks just kept coming?

Neo, there are plenty of good west coasters, I never said there wasn't. I just said generally the ones with all the hype do nothing with it. Nobody knew who Rodgers was until he started playing for the Packers the way he has.

I knew who he was. I had hoped the Redskins would draft him when he slipped.

As for your comparison of Ryan Leaf hype to Luck, you are wrong. While there was a lot of hype involved with Leaf, many believed he should not go too high in the draft because of his off-field issues. Leaf was out partying and having a blast while Manning was studying and working to do what was expected of a 1st overall pick.

Luck is not a party kid. He is level headed and smart. He knows what is on the line here. Leaf had no clue! He thought he could go out and his talent would carry him and many teams especially the Colts did their homework. San Diego did not.

Edit: And Lanky, I do not think it is a disservice to compare Griffin to Vick in College, Vick was the best college player to be drafted in a long, long time. He was one of the greatest "college" players, ever. He did know how to be a pocket passer at VT because he had more time. It wasn't until he got to the pros that the pocket was not there as much and he took off at the slightest bit of pressure. I am not saying he didn't run at Tech. He did, but so has RG3, a lot more than an NFL QB should.

Comparing Andrew Luck to Ryan Leaf is about as foolhardy as comparing RG3 to Akili Smith.

I don't care if a college player worked in a "pro" style offense or a "west coast" style offense; if the QB in it cannot excel, if they think the Wonderlic is what Janoris Jenkins gets from every girl he meets, then there wouldn't be any hype to begin with and they would be wearing a hairnet and name tag serving me frys at Burger King instead of prancing about for Pro scouts. RG3 and Luck are potentially franchise QBs. Until they get to the pros and do their thing they are nothing more than potential and either one will do just fine for our team.

No matter what the Colts do it will be a signed done deal before the draft starts and the #2 pick will already have been traded. Let's get through Free Agency first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.