• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Reversal: What if the Colts take RGIII?

NFL fans have a compulsive need to make comparisons. I'm not really sure what that's the case, but it always feels a little bit like whistling past the graveyard to me. We either do it to reassure ourselves that the unknown but talented player is the real deal, or to innoculate ourselves against the possibility he's just like that other guy who proved a bust.

The truth is, most of the comparisons don't hold up under scrutiny, and ultimately are somewhat unfair to these new guys - whether positive or negative comparisons are being made - because in the end, they are all unique individuals.

We don't know, and won't know who will be a star and who'll end up forgotten until it happens. And really, isn't that a beautiful thing? :)

we may need to revisit this topic :))

I don't think the Colts will risk NOT taking Luck. They may be excited by the idea of going with RGIII, but in the eyes of the 'experts', Luck is a sure-fire Peyton Manning kind of talent. Folks describing Luck don't just say he's the best QB in this draft, they pronounce the most talented QB in 10 or 20 years. That may not prove correct, but for the Colts to ignore all of those pronouncements and take the guy most consider the 2nd best QB in this year's draft, I just think that would be viewed as a very risky move for a team that just let Peyton Manning walk. No one will fault Irsay if Luck proves to be a bust, because he's viewed as a 'sure thing' to be an elite QB. I think RGIII is a riskier choice and the Redskins are far more desperate to find their guy. The Colts can't afford to take that kind of risk, even if they are tempted to.

Then again, it's quite possible this is just what I want to believe :)

Agree with Boone. Luck fits the Indy offense better. They want the true pocket passer, like Manning was.

Even if Indy changes its mind and takes RG3, we still get Luck. So whoever we take this is no sloppy seconds.

Right now the Colts and Redskins are going on projections. Everyone is saying these guys are can't miss. Thing is no one really knows. Time will tell.

There will be a lot of pressure on whoever Indy takes. It is hard to follow a legend. The key is to be one that follows the one that followed the legend.

Of course there will be a lot pressure on whoever we get. If it is RG3 then he will get his wish to meet Obama.

Not true, Ryan Leaf was hyped just as much, if not more than Luck. All the talk about Ryan Leaf was how NFL-ready he was, and how he was the best developed QB in the draft. I never said the players on this list had the skill set of Luck, just that the things being said about them were very similar.

I would bet money that RG3 turns out to be the stud of the two. From what I've seen, I just don't see it with Luck, he's shown me nothing to back the hype. But I guess if the media tells everyone how wonderful he is for so long, a lot of people are bound to believe it.

Hype. That's all it is. The second coming of Ryan Leaf.

Ryan Leaf was a head-case Luck is not. BIG difference. Not to mention he is more mobile and smarter than Leaf was.

There will be a lot of pressure on whoever Indy takes. It is hard to follow a legend.

There will probably be just as much pressure on whoever WE take, with as much as we paid on him. But hopefully it's RG3, because for one thing, he seems like the last guy to be affected by pressure. He's about as laid back a football player as I've ever seen, while AT THE SAME TIME, has a lot of charisma. That is an amazing balance, as far as intangibles go.

Aaron Rogers played at Cal. Pretty sure that is west coast.

Granted, he wasn't Top 10 and wasn't "hyped". Just sayin'.

Aaron Rogers was fortunate enough to sit behind Favre. Thus during his initial years of riding pine, the coaches were able to rework his throwing motion, release point, footwork, etc.

He was not a can't miss coming out. He needed coaching up in their system as they did with Matt Flynn.

very worried....Colts are totally dismantling there team offense and defense...maybe the end of the smoke screen...if there changing all personel that is old they could be the end of one era and the beginning of a new era ...could be going in a different direction....the RGIII direction ....man i know Luck would a great choice also but it will be very sad for that #1 pick to be RGIII.....i guess that's the upside to having the first choice. anyway,anyone you like....we just have to set and wait...

Who even knows what the Indy offense is now?

They have gotten rid of the majority of skill players, the coach, the offensive coordinator, the GM, etc.

They are currently, for all intents and purposes, a blank canvas.

very worried....Colts are totally dismantling there team offense and defense...maybe the end of the smoke screen...if there changing all personel that is old they could be the end of one era and the beginning of a new era ...could be going in a different direction....the RGIII direction ....man i know Luck would a great choice also but it will be very sad for that #1 pick to be RGIII.....i guess that's the upside to having the first choice. anyway,anyone you like....we just have to set and wait...

I'm sure Shanallenyder thought of that before making the deal.
And as a fan, I wouldn't be disappointed either with Luck.

the rumblings for the Colts taking RGIII are really starting to heat up in the media....lots of talk about RGIII being the better pick for Number 1 over Luck...scary.....still have about 30 some days b for the draftbut we can't go wrong with the number 2 pick in the draft because luck is a another fine QB prospect...

I will continue to say, yes it's possible the Colts go RGIII, but it's not likely. They just released arguably the best QB in NFL history. They'd better not 'miss' with his successor or the fanbase will never forgive them (particularly when Peyton takes Denver to the Promised Land. Luck is considered an absolute shoo-in to be the 'next great QB' while RGIII is far more risky.

I see them going the safe and sure route. They may be tempted, but they'll stick with Luck when the rubber meets the road.

Boome's got it. RG3 has a higher ceiling than Luck, but also a much greater bust potential. Indy just kicked one of the five greatest QBs of all time out of town. Yes, RG3 may end up being better, but he may also bust. Luck won't bust. Safer pick with less possibility of public backlash.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

This doesn't make me feel so good about a guy we gave up 2 #1 picks, a 2nd rounder, PLUS a #2 overall :(

He's only a risk in comparison to Luck. And in terms of perception. It would be a PR nightmare for the Colts to pass on the universally-acclaimed next best thing at QB for a less-heralded talent like RGIII. That doesn't mean Luck will be the better QB. But it would be difficult to justify not taking Luck when he's considered a far more 'sure thing' than Griffin.

I would be disappointed if they did grab Griffin - because I think he's going to be special :)

i honestly fell as if ...well RGIII is the safer pick....I don't see how he fails in the NFL....all that atheltic ability and such a great arm ...kids very very smart,,finished highschool and college early....just a hunch but I say RGIII will be bigger star in the NFL thatn Luck....he has all the tools ..not trying to beat a dead horse but he does remind me of Elway....he came in and right away was amazing...I remember his early years ....the guy IMO was better in his first 6 or 7 years thatn his later years...because he would make plays outside the pocket...(alot of resemblance to me)...maybe i'm just hoping.....praying....RGIII to DC

Irsay has been out of the limelight for a while now after dominating them for almost a year and he is looking for another headline so he will be very tempted to pick RG3. RG3 is an automatic hike in ticket sales. Luck is far less flashy.

Don't be surprised if Irsay has one of them signed before the draft, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was RG3 going to Indy.

While Shanahan may prefer RG3 in order to do what he has in mind for the offense, I don't think he'd be disappointed in Andrew Luck.

After watching Luck throw today, I sure as heck wouldn't be disappointed either. I really don't think we can go wrong either way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.