• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sellers inks extension

Not that I don't think Sellers is great, I do, but he is 34 and Fullbacks take a pounding. If he plays the life of this contract he will be 39. Is that feasible or realistic?

Although I guess with the reported numbers it makes little difference. He is cheap (and likely underpaid for his value to the team).

Look at Lorenzo Neal, he is 40 and playing strong. I think this was more about locking up a key presence on the Redskins. He could play that contract out, but in reality, how many players given long term contracts ever play them out for us when they are getting up there in age?

Good. We need more players like Walla Walla on this team.

Wasn't Sellers out of the game for a few years? He might have some longevity in him.

I like that we're taking care of him, I think it was said that there was 5M plus in available cap money. Maybe this was done with the belief that there will be no cap next year and it'll be re-negotiated then as I really hope they don't expect him to play the contract out. Good for them though taking care of Big Mike, now just throw him the damn ball :).

I think Sellers is a physical beast, but I guess I'm in the minority in that I've always felt his contributions were overrated. He's made more than his share of boneheaded mistakes at key points in games over the years. He's contributions are obviously positive on the whole, but I don't see him as a consistent impact player. I know many do - I'm just not one of them. In my opinion, this is another instance of us investing in players on the downside of their careers.

Boone, I somewhat agree with you, however I think it has more to do with being under-utilized than ineffective. However, you may be on to something in that when he is utilized, there is a chance that he does indeed make a bad play so maybe there is something there. My hope is that it was done in anticipation of there being no cap next year and therefore everything can be forgiven but what do I know LOL.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I think Sellers is a physical beast, but I guess I'm in the minority in that I've always felt his contributions were overrated. He's made more than his share of boneheaded mistakes at key points in games over the years. He's contributions are obviously positive on the whole, but I don't see him as a consistent impact player. I know many do - I'm just not one of them. In my opinion, this is another instance of us investing in players on the downside of their careers.

Didn't he make the pro-bowl last year? It's not just us and our imaginations. :)

New deal runs thru 2014, with $600K signing bonus and $400K option bonus in 2010.

Not that much of an investment. For that money I'm glad he's staying here until he retires.

Didn't he make the pro-bowl last year? It's not just us and our imaginations. :)

New deal runs thru 2014, with $600K signing bonus and $400K option bonus in 2010.

Not that much of an investment. For that money I'm glad he's staying here until he retires.

Yeah, I'd hate to see him somewhere else in the East

I'm kind of surprised to hear this from you - Seller's play-to-play contribution is in the running game, clearing LBs out of the way. Does he always make the block? No...but I'd say about 95% of the time his man is blocked, which is a great percentage, and why he made the probowl.

I mean, the pass-catching and big hits are nice, but they aren't what a FB is there for. And besides the special teams play against Oakland (?) a few years ago, I can't think of any boneheaded plays that really cost us...do you have any in mind?

I simply said I think he's overrated. Statistically, his role has really been diminished (pretty much consistently every year since 2005). He only had 12 receptions total in 2008, and 6 rushes for a season total of 122 yards. He had the same number of TDs as fumbles - 1. It's not about the money. I'd like to see us get younger there and find an impact player who's got more than a couple seasons left. Lanky rightfully points out his value is largely as a blocker - hard to argue that.

I like Sellers, and don't have a 'problem' with the new deal. I'll just repeat that it's likely all downhill for him from here.

He was actually a much bigger part of the Gibb's offense - he had something like 8 TDs and a signicantly higher number of catches and run touches in 2005 for example - we just don't use him as a weapon much now. That being said, he does do a good job where we ask him to, in run support.

He was actually a much bigger part of the Gibb's offense - he had something like 8 TDs and a signicantly higher number of catches and run touches in 2005 for example - we just don't use him as a weapon much now. That being said, he does do a good job where we ask him to, in run support.

Yes, but notice he made the pro-bowl when his numbers went down.

I wonder why that is? :)

My guess is because a FBs job is not to put up stats, but to clear a path for the guy with the ball. Sellers does that very well. And as long as he does, I hope he stays a Redskin.

Henry - some reason you're trying to overstate an argument I'm not making? :)

I like the guy.
He's a good blocker (although IMHO you're wrong if you think that's the sole thing we should look for in a fullback)
I get you like him more.
He made the Pro Bowl - which ordinarily we'd be characterizing as a fan popularity contest - but in this case is apparently cast-iron evidence of a player's crucialness...
I would prefer we look to get younger.

We can check back in 2 years and see who was closer to being right.

Last edited:
Henry - some reason you're trying to overstate an argument I'm not making? :)

You know that's my MO. :)

He's a good blocker (although IMHO you're wrong if you think that's the sole thing we should look for in a fullback)

I think it's the main thing. Not sexy I know, but that's a fullback's primary job in most offenses, including ours.

He made the Pro Bowl - which ordinarily we'd be characterizing as a fan popularity contest - but in this case is apparently cast-iron evidence of a player's crucialness...

When a blocking FB on a mediocre offense of an 8-8 team makes his first pro-bowl in nine years it's not due to fan popularity. It's because he somehow stood out on an otherwise unimpressive squad.

But yeah, if 8 players on the same team make the pro-bowl and one of them happens to be the FB, fan popularity is more likely.

I would prefer we look to get younger.

Yes, I think we've established that. :) I think you place too high a value on youth for youth's sake, but that's me being a stodgy old man I suppose.

We can check back in 2 years and see who was closer to being right.

Oh he'll probably be gone in two years. That doesn't mean it was a bad idea to keep him around on the cheap until then.

I have to agree with Henry on one point here. Using Sellers as a blocking FB is a virtual necessity given the OL problems. He is an inexpensive way to shore up a known weakness while the Skins are in the process of finding younger talent to perform the same function.

From what I saw in pre-season it looks like we have a decent young talent at that position on the practice squad.

Sellers is a limited player.

Last year in carrying the ball he fumbled at the goal line against the Bengals.

Today he dropped a touchdown pass.

He is 33 years old.

He is a good lead blocker, a very good lead blocker.

Now that he has the money he should shut up and do his job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.